Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Post First Preseason Game Thoughts and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Post First Preseason Game Thoughts and Grades

Postby No l Gravity l » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:12 pm

Offense

Quaterbacks
Ben Roethlisberger- A. No wrongs for Big Ben. Nice little pass to Holmes to let the receiver make a play.
Charlie Batch- C-. Only went 1 for 3 and handed the ball of most of the game. Hes been a good backup for years but I'm 100% sure his age has caught up on him. I won't be surprised if he gets released to add more room for our roster. I don't think losing him to injury will hurt us that much.
Dennis Dixon- D+. Not a good first impression. He checked off on many of his passes for short yardage. Sweed made a great catch diving backwards in one of his low thrown balls. Dixon's only saving grace and underthrown 40 yard pass to Walker that was wiped away due to a hold. Needs to step it up next week since Batch is injured.
Mike Potts- N/A. Didn't do much but hand off the ball to Russell. Went 0/2 passing.

Runningbacks
Willie Parker- A. Looked like the same Fast Willie to me. Don't think the injury slowed him down a bit.
Rashard Mendenhall- B. Was pretty impressed with the guy. Had some good hard runs and a 15 yard run on one of his plays to the outside.
Gary Russell- B-. Earned some hard fought yards despite the low YPC. Looks very powerful. Should see more carries at the goal line.

Wide Receivers
Santonio Holmes- A. Looks like he'll be a top 10 receiver in the league this year. Great TD catch and run.
Hines Ward- B+. Only caught 1 pass but it was for 20 yards
Limas Sweed- B+. He made some fantastic catches tonight despite Dixon's inaccuracy.
NateNAte- F. Where were you man??? KC? Any answers?

Offensive line- B-. first team OL looked solid. Not much to say other than Starks got beat pretty bad twice. Dixon was under pressure for a handful of snaps but we only allowed 1 sack. Not too bad.

Defense- B. Still not liking the big cushions our corners are giving. As usual, we were susceptible to those short 5 yard slants. After seeing Kolb drive down towards our side of the field on multiple occasions, however, the D seemed to tighten up and forced them to punt. Well I could probably account that to all those damn penalties the Eagles were committing as well though. Nice to see Farrior get a sack. Fox on the 2nd team played well.

Special teams- B. Wow what an improvement. Almost everyone aside from "Fair Catch" Bloom had decent returns. I liked Drummond's run down the sideline. Ernster looked pretty good aside from his last punt in the game which still had a forward bounce. Looks like he has enough leg on kickoffs to shoot it into the endzone. I was impressed with the 50 yard field goal. Defensively we didn't allow much.
Last edited by No l Gravity l on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stillers.com Team

Re: Post First Preseason Game Thoughts and Grades

Postby thesteelhammer » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:16 pm

Nice write up. Spot on.

Any thoughts on Moore?

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:19 pm

NFL.com's take

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29789&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2008&week=PRE1

What we learned ...
Willie Parker is still fast. Parker suffered a broken right fibula in 2007 and looked sharp in limited attempts Friday, rushing for 20 yards on three carries. Parker will still likely share carries with first-round pick Rashard Mendenhall, who rushed for 34 yards on seven attempts.

Steelers offense still rolling. Ben Roethlisberger opened the preseason -- after throwing a career-high 32 touchdowns in 2007 -- by leading the Steelers on an eight-play, 80-yard touchdown drive. Roethlisberger hit Santonio Holmes on an 18-yard touchdown pass to open the scoring for the Steelers.

The Steelers will need a backup quarterback. Charlie Batch broke his right collarbone and left the game. The Steelers have two rookies remaining behind Roethlisberger, Dennis Dixon and Mike Potts.

Practice Squad

Postby Nate85 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:41 pm

Offensively, Moore looked disinterested &, even worse, his botched play lead directly to the Batch injury! Decent put return, but we need him to be a good 3rd down back, too! Russell & Vincent looked a lot better in finishing off runs...especially in garbage time, when yards are extremely tough to come by!

Maybe Tomlin can rent The Goodship Lolipop from The Gateway Clipper Fleet & Mewelde can once again "party" his way to motivation - Viking Style!!! :idea:

Practice Squad

Postby benstunner » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:59 am

Charlie batch is not getting released any time soon...

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:43 am

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:37 pm

Our starting offense looked great. I'm always impressed by Ben's calmness. He's just always so cool. I agree there has been a huge improvement on special teams, and it was very noticeable. Let's hope they keep it up! :)

I'm very excited about our wide receiver corp. Probably going to be THE best in the NFL. I was also happy with Mendenhall's performance. He's gonna kick some ass.

Return to Stillers Talk