Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » What is the basic mood in here on these topics?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

What is the basic mood in here on these topics?

Postby lloydrules » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:56 pm

Tomlin and new coaching staff? Me? I am still it and see, with leaning towards believing he/they will prove a solid coaching staff. Going 10-6 with a team the "great" Cowher only went 8-8 the year before, as a rookie coach, says something.

However, I think there were some clear signs of where Tomlin needs to learn and develop as a head coach. I think he worked them too hard and the proof was they sucked wind down the stretch, going 1-5 and losing at home in the play offs. That's not a sign of a team getting on a roll at the right time; conversely, it's a sign of a team that had nothing left in the tank.

Did he learn from this? I don't know, but I hope he did.

I constantly hear both ends of the spectrum having a positive result (i.e. this team needed heavier discipline and work and they got better vs. this team was overworked and got better when the staff didn't whip them so much). Both things can be true. Tomlin seemed to go too far on the over working side of things. I hope he learned that you don't work a race horse (pro athletes) to death coming into the stretch run. If you follow the traits of horse racing and performance, you'd know that light work down the stretch is better for performance.

Of course, letting players go to the level of getting out of shape is also not the way to roll. You need some kind of a feel for how hard to work them.

New owner ship. I don't know about you, but I am not bummed out the Rooneys will lose ownership and final decision making. I could grow to resent, but I think new, younger ownership will tend to make a little bit bolder moves than we got from the Rooneys. I don't want to see a free-for-all, stupid Danny Snyder type of mng., but I look forward to more pro-active mng. than basically doing nothing with the cap and free agency when you have a team close to contending.

I mean, really. Who here feels they were active enough in fixing the OL the last 2 seasons? I don't. 2 low draft picks, 1 crap FA move (Mahan) and one decent pick up (Hartwig) seems woefully weak to address one of the worst OL in the league. Only 1 QB has been sacked more than BB the last 2 seasons. Yes, BB's style causing some of that, but then again, BB also gets out of a lot of sacks that other QBs would go down to.

And, what holes did we see open up for the running game as the season wore on? Crap. With the state of that OL, do you really think the team mng. itself wisely in the last two drafts and FA periods? I sure as sh-t do NOT feel they have done enough.

I hope new ownership would also realize this. The old guard certainly didn't have a clue and a top shelf OL is in the tradition of the PS.

Where did that understanding go?

Stillers.com Team

Re: What is the basic mood in here on these topics?

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:12 pm

I am cautiously optimistic about the coaching staff.
Tomlin made some rookie mistakes, but the record was better than Cowher with a similar team.
Then again Cowher team tended to peak at the right time, while Tomlin's went flat. We'll see - jury is still out on Tomlin.

The ownership issue is of great concern to me. The Owner sets the tone of the franchise. The identity of the Steelers is what it is due in large part to the Rooney Family. Sure part of me would love to see someone with money come in and buy some free agents, but one of the things I love about the Steelers is that they aren't the 49ers - they didn't buy their championships. Besides throwing money at free agents doesn't always pan out - just ask Dan Snyder of the Redskins. The Franchise needs to stay in Rooney control - anything else is unacceptable.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby lynchcowher » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:15 pm

LOL, Tomlin went 10-6 with a team that was one year removed from winning the superbowl. The ONLY reason they went 8-8 in 06 was because of Ben's skull getting caved in during the offseason.

I don't know if he'll turn into a decent coach or not. Let's just hope he's not as bad this year as he was last year.... He made Cowher look smart at times.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:16 pm

I still have confidence in Tomlin. He's young but seems on the ball and does not appear to be set on a certain style which shows some open-mindedness. He seems willing to adjust which is crucial with today's athletes. I agree that he has things to learn... but that's par for the course with a young coach. I like his approach to discipline but also think that he needs to find the right balance for the personnel.

As far as ownership, I like the Rooney's being in control and the general morale standard they generally represent. I don't feel the owners need to have any say in personnel matters... let the subject matter expert (i.e. the GM) do his role. Any qualms with personnel moves should be pointed where the blame lies. Hands-off ownership makes more sense to me since most owners couldn't tell the difference between Casey Hampton and a PAT Bus.... well... maybe I couldn't either. :D

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:29 pm

lloydrules wrote:Tomlin and new coaching staff? Me? I am still it and see, with leaning towards believing he/they will prove a solid coaching staff. Going 10-6 with a team the "great" Cowher only went 8-8 the year before, as a rookie coach, says something.
However, I think there were some clear signs of where Tomlin needs to learn and develop as a head coach. I think he worked them too hard and the proof was they sucked wind down the stretch, going 1-5 and losing at home in the play offs. That's not a sign of a team getting on a roll at the right time; conversely, it's a sign of a team that had nothing left in the tank.
ben was a100% better qb in 07 compared to 06 , ben of 07 on the 06 team and that team could have possibly repeated since the colts were not very dominant in the playoffs and manning had like 7 ints if im not mistaken in 3 games.Ben was actually shaky in practically every game especially after the concussion and they still pulled out 8 wins, so looking back I think the 06 teams record squarely rests on the shoulders of the qb position.(dont forget all the turnovers on special teams that cost us a few games in 06 also)

Did he learn from this? I don't know, but I hope he did.

Ya me to,
but they are overflowing with talent at skill positions now and with ben taking it to the next level every season minus the accident yr, it could cover up a avg coaching staff.If they go 10-6 again and make the playoffs, people will say its a good season do to the schedule ect....lets see if he costs us another big game with bonehead mistakes like going for 2 at the 10 yd line ect....another words,lets see if he can control his gambler mentality to at least better percentage risks

I constantly hear both ends of the spectrum having a positive result (i.e. this team needed heavier discipline and work and they got better vs. this team was overworked and got better when the staff didn't whip them so much). Both things can be true. Tomlin seemed to go too far on the over working side of things. I hope he learned that you don't work a race horse (pro athletes) to death coming into the stretch run. If you follow the traits of horse racing and performance, you'd know that light work down the stretch is better for performance.
Of course, letting players go to the level of getting out of shape is also not the way to roll. You need some kind of a feel for how hard to work them.

New owner ship. I don't know about you, but I am not bummed out the Rooneys will lose ownership and final decision making. I could grow to resent, but I think new, younger ownership will tend to make a little bit bolder moves than we got from the Rooneys. I don't want to see a free-for-all, stupid Danny Snyder type of mng., but I look forward to more pro-active mng. than basically doing nothing with the cap and free agency when you have a team close to contending.
It mite be time for a billionaire owner to be part of the ownership so the steelers dont end up like the pirates as nfl rules continue to change over the course of time.

I mean, really. Who here feels they were active enough in fixing the OL the last 2 seasons? I don't. 2 low draft picks, 1 crap FA move (Mahan) and one decent pick up (Hartwig) seems woefully weak to address one of the worst OL in the league. Only 1 QB has been sacked more than BB the last 2 seasons. Yes, BB's style causing some of that, but then again, BB also gets out of a lot of sacks that other QBs would go down to.
They must and I mean must bring in some quality veteran linemen next yr since the offense is loaded to the hilt. getting 1 big 1st round o linemen next yr wont cut it since this is a now offense that will ready to be the most exsplosive in the leage with at least a competative oline.this has a good chance of happening with a wealthy owner,not rooney by himself!

And, what holes did we see open up for the running game as the season wore on? Crap. With the state of that OL, do you really think the team mng. itself wisely in the last two drafts and FA periods? I sure as sh-t do NOT feel they have done enough.

I hope new ownership would also realize this. The old guard certainly didn't have a clue and a top shelf OL is in the tradition of the PS.

Where did that understanding go?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby jstallworth82 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:15 pm

ok number 1 Tomlin did not work the babies to hard. The O-Line sucked. They lost the P.O. Game because Tomlin turtled all they needed was 1 first down and what does he do 3 consecutive running plays. Forget abot everything else when they could have ended the game Tomlin choked big time.

number 2 Getting a new owner with money won't matter stupid...... SALARY CAP and as far as the Rooneys cry all you want they are the most respected owners by the coaches, players , and media.

They definitely need to get help at O-Line. I think probably a new O-Line Coach wouldn't hurt.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:42 am

jstallworth82 wrote:ok number 1 Tomlin did not work the babies to hard. The O-Line sucked. They lost the P.O. Game because Tomlin turtled all they needed was 1 first down and what does he do 3 consecutive running plays. Forget abot everything else when they could have ended the game Tomlin choked big time.

number 2 Getting a new owner with money won't matter stupid...... SALARY CAP and as far as the Rooneys cry all you want they are the most respected owners by the coaches, players , and media.what part of for the future dont you understand? the cap will evolve eventually dimwit, nothing stays the same and it would be good to have some moneybags in place when more loopeholes are added! Plus the rooneys are up there in age ,so its only a matter of time before the franchise is owned by someone besides a rooney.

They definitely need to get help at O-Line. I think probably a new O-Line Coach wouldn't hurt.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby jstallworth82 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:27 am

darthsteel wrote:
jstallworth82 wrote:ok number 1 Tomlin did not work the babies to hard. The O-Line sucked. They lost the P.O. Game because Tomlin turtled all they needed was 1 first down and what does he do 3 consecutive running plays. Forget abot everything else when they could have ended the game Tomlin choked big time.

number 2 Getting a new owner with money won't matter stupid...... SALARY CAP and as far as the Rooneys cry all you want they are the most respected owners by the coaches, players , and media.what part of for the future dont you understand? the cap will evolve eventually dimwit, nothing stays the same and it would be good to have some moneybags in place when more loopeholes are added! Plus the rooneys are up there in age ,so its only a matter of time before the franchise is owned by someone besides a rooney.

hey dipshit if you even remotely kept up on what happens financially every year you would realize that the Rooneys' use up the salary cap every year so they are not afraid of spending but I know we could sell to another Snyder and see how happy you will be then. The Rooneys may have their idiosyncracies but they are still good at what they do. Most of our FA moves and releases turn out for the better. But just because some billionaire buys the team it will not mean that he knows anything about football or the NFL. And sooner or later the Rooneys may sell, that is a fact but I would rather they sell the team to someone who is resolved in keeping them as competitive year in and year out as we have been since 1972.

Return to Stillers Talk