Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Ward and his friggin' mouth...

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Ward and his friggin' mouth...

Postby Steeledge » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:17 pm

are at it again...

Article from AP on Yahoo! Sports...

Ward said there was a reluctance to embrace change at other positions, including his own.

The Steelers went 10-6 and won the AFC Central last season, but lost four of their final five, including a wild-card playoff game at home to Jacksonville. The Jaguars also beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh during a December regular season game.

“You’ve done something so many ways for so many years and it helped you win a Super Bowl,” Ward said. “So when somebody comes in and tweaks it, the trust is hard to (gain) because you’ve done it before.

“And we won a Super Bowl without that coaching staff. … For the younger guys who are breaking in, it’s like, who do you listen to? Do you go with the veteran guy who’s been doing it for so many years? Or do you go out and really try to do what the coach is trying to tell you to do?”

Sometimes I gotta seriously wonder if he thinks before he opens it...

...making excuses for last year's attitude problems by trying to say that the "old way" was good enough to win a Superbowl with, so why change it?

...essentially second guessing a coaching staff that might have a broader perspective on the whole system than his limited purview. What's more, there's no quote of him saying something like, "but that was last year - we're all on board and eager this year..."

Making note of a rift that was present last year, and doing it to start this year's camp without offering a change in attitude, is childishly irresponsible - like tossing new wood on a smoldering fire.

To his question: "do you go out and really try to do what the coach is trying to tell you to do?"
Answer: YES, DOUBLE-FUCK YES!! Sit down, stop making excuses, shut THE FUCK up, and get with the program!! :evil: :x :evil: :x

You might actually learn something yourself in the process.

You can teach an old dog, if it's willing to be taught...
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Ward and his friggin' mouth...

Postby 4nic8 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:18 pm

You've got to remember Arians is the OC.

I imagine it's pretty hard to buy into what comes out of his pea-sized brain.

Don't forget the fake double reverse RB draw he called last year...

Or countless other reverses he called in the first series of the game before establishing the run.

Or the Cedric reverse pass for two-point conversion. (Yeah, it worked. Try it nine more times and it doesn't work again.)

And do I dare mention the 3rd & 6 QB sweep?

With that being said Ward still has no business saying that crap to the media, and Tomlin better take a more proactive approach to running the offense this year.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:34 pm

Hines and some other players obviously think they know more about the NFL and winning than does Tomlin, and they probably do.

But it is difficult to see how this kind of yapping is helpful unless it motivates Tomlin to perform better.

I am hoping that is the case.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby StainlessStill » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:03 am

I don't like it ..plain and simple. Shut your god damn mouth, and play the game of football. A sportsman obeys and listens to the higher power at all costs. A coach will always be superior to a player.

Just like the quote taken out of Million Dollar Baby.. "All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bit out of them... they ain't fighters at all."

Same concept here. Hines, you're what a Pittsburgh Steeler is all about. Good. Now shut the yap and play ball and do what you have been doing since you were a Pee-Wee. Listen to your Coach!

Practice Squad

Postby Jake The Snake » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:08 pm

Quote is taken out of context. He has asked specifically about Willie Colons comments about the O-line not adapting to Zierlin last year. It wasn't like he just went out and threw that comment out unprovoked.

Practice Squad

Postby stillthere » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:08 pm

My two cents is basically this.

Hines Ward has earned the right to say what the heck he feels like saying. I don't like telling the media this stuff. He gets a pass from me on this though. As someone said maybe it is a message to Tomlin, maybe it is a message to Arians you may want to pound a bit better or longer. Maybe the coaches told him to stir the pot, the staff may have seen some stuff during OTA's that they liked and want people to think the team is not together or on the same page. Who really knows. Hines gets a pass from me the guy has been nothing but what we have wanted in a player since he got here. If his only draw back is a quote you don't like in year 10 of his career then stop moaning and groaning. I have heard more gripes come from a boat load of players that had less to offer.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby jstallworth82 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:41 pm

Maybe what he is saying is that Tomlin is not the Greatest thing to hit the Steelers since the football. They did win a SB despite Cowhers turtling. And MT seems to have the same philosophy I.E. Wild Card game last year 3 straight running plays that sealed the game....for Jax.
If you watched him on the sidelines it was like he was that little boy in the Willy Wonka Chocolate factory. So maybe Mr. Tomlin needs to wake up and start being a HC not a figure head that walks the sidelines on Sunday trying to be friends with the players and doing his T.V. tap dance still in lala land. He needs to get some emotion going. The team had no fire last year at least at the end. He is a smart guy but the welcoming party left now it is time to earn his place in footballs most coveted HC job.....

Return to Stillers Talk