Register

Board index » Rant Forum » Last night Al Michaels said...

Non-Stiller related rants, pontifications, and soapbox lectures
Grizzled Veteran

Last night Al Michaels said...

Postby McLovin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:49 am

...that the Steelers' schedule was the most difficult any team has had since the 1976 Giants. Wow..quite a stat! Posters on this little site do their fair share of petty bickering about coaching errors and lack of talent. But with all of the injury issues McLovin' says going into the bye at 4-1 is pretty damn good despite what Sca-never-laid and the other pessimists say I'm pleased with the effort and Ben's emergence into a Dan Marino type of leader. Looking ahead, McLovin says with the Brownies and Bungles playing like ass and with the rash of injuries to hit the AFC I'd say there is no reason the Steelers shouldn't continue to handle this difficult schedule.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Last night Al Michaels said...

Postby steelerette » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:22 pm

So because Al Michaels said the Stillers have a tough schedule that makes it so? Most Stillers fans knew the Stillers had the toughest schedule since they first saw their schedule, which was months ago.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:28 pm

steelerette wrote:So because Al Michaels said the Stillers have a tough schedule that makes it so? Most Stillers fans knew the Stillers had the toughest schedule since they first saw their schedule, which was months ago.

No not exactly steelerette. Perhaps McLovin' needs to expound. The Steelers schedule is deemed most difficult based on their opponents won/loss record from last year. Al was not giving an opinion, he was basing it on league stats that showed the last time an opponents schedule had a winning percentage as high as the Steelers' opponents it was the 1976 Giants.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:37 pm

McLovin wrote:No not exactly steelerette. Perhaps McLovin' needs to expound. The Steelers schedule is deemed most difficult based on their opponents won/loss record from last year.

Yeah, no shit. Stillers fans knew that just by looking at their schedule when it was first released. Hello!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:56 pm

steelerette wrote:
McLovin wrote:No not exactly steelerette. Perhaps McLovin' needs to expound. The Steelers schedule is deemed most difficult based on their opponents won/loss record from last year.

Yeah, no shit. Stillers fans knew that just by looking at their schedule when it was first released. Hello!

What's your problem? McLovin' is sorry your life sucks but don't take it out on him. Thought it was an interesting stat to note that no team since the '76 Giants had to face as difficult of a schedule. The people get less and less friendly on here with every passing day.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:57 pm

What Al Michaels said was that is was the toughest schedule SINCE THE 76 GIANTS. Thats whay gives the statement some weight and Steelerette NON OF US knew it was that tough is what Mclovin is trying to say. You have to understand Mclovin, that these guys dont like threads like this becuase it gives coach Tomlin an excuse for having an ok season (the schedule) so when you mention things like a tough schedule they get upset because they are coming for Tomlins head. If the guy breathes wrong, they complain. ITS SICKENING

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:03 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:What Al Michaels said was that is was the toughest schedule SINCE THE 76 GIANTS. Thats whay gives the statement some weight and Steelerette NON OF US knew it was that tough is what Mclovin is trying to say. You have to understand Mclovin, that these guys dont like threads like this becuase it gives coach Tomlin an excuse for having an ok season (the schedule) so when you mention things like a tough schedule they get upset because they are coming for Tomlins head. If the guy breathes wrong, they complain. ITS SICKENING

Gotcha...wasn't implying anything other than even Al Michaels made note of how tough our schedule really is from the historical perspective of the '76 Giants AND to acknowledge how well the staff and players have answered that challenge despite the injuries etc. I get your point about people out for Tomlin's head and for the record I am not a Tomlin basher. To me he's like a rookie draft class...it takes a few years to evaluate so I'm going to continue to support him until I have reason not to....4-1 start is just dandy by McLovin!

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Nashsteeler » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:08 pm

On paper, yeah, it was the toughest schedule in a quarter century based on last years records. That's an objective fact. michaels was correct.

BUT - our schedule has gotten easier with some teams emerging as more worthy opponents for other teams (Miami and Denver, for example, which we don't play), and others have suddenly looked very beatable whether because of injury (New England), ineptitude for no good reason (San Diego, Indy), or just having a fluky 2007 (Hi Cleveland). The degree of difficulty of the schedule is always a fluid thing, changing. I think this team's outlook is the correct one...just focus on the next opponent. Screw last year's records At least -- I hope that's their outlook.

If you look at the way it's turned out...the Steelers' opponents actually have a total record of 7-15 so far. Far from the toughest in actuality.
Jax 2-3
Balt 2-2
Philly 2-3
Houston 0-4
Cleveland 1-3

This will likely change though as they get into the heart of their schedule against the NFC East, which is comprised of teams that are all living up to their billing. What a tough division. And we've still got Indy, NE and SD on the schedule too...always dangerous opponents.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:19 pm

McLovin agrees and applauds the effort given especially after the bloodbath Monday night. Baltimore and Jax two physical teams to play on a short week. All I'm saying is that I like the 4-1 record heading into the bye and I acknowledged in original post that AFC teams are down due to injury. Indeed the NFC east is a beast. McLovin's #1 son a football star...albeit pee wee...take em one game at a time McLovin tells little McLovin!

Seasoned Veteran

Postby logjammin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:21 pm

What is much more relevant than our opponents' reconds last year is our opponents' records this year. Looking at the remaining games on our schedule, the upcoming opponents have a combined recond of 27-23 so far this year. That's only 2 games above .500 , and a 54% winning percentage. Not so tough overall. There are some very good records and some very bad reconds (including the Bengals twice) there. Overall, it looks pretty mediocre.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:41 pm

Looking at the Teams records NOW is CREATIVE SPIN but ineffective if you ask me. Are the Colts dangerous despite the record? YEP. Pats? YEP, Chargers? YEP. We also play the unbeaten Titans (who arent that good) so it works both ways. Even the WINLESS Bengals ARE DANGEROUS, you can say what you will OUR SCHEDULE IS A MONSTER no matter HOW YOU SPIN IT.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:49 pm

Injuries are playing a factor in all of those teams mentioned. Pats are still dangerous without Brady. The Jags and Colts have been hard hit in the secondary and OL. Chargers have players hurt everywhere. Wait until those teams get healthy second half of the year. The cream always rises to the top. I'm not looking forward to playing ANY team in the NFC East. The Eagles dominated us and they're in last place...since youre counting this year's records logjammin.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:55 pm

Agreed Mc and look how tough those Bungles played the Cowboys yesterday.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:08 pm

McLovin wrote:
steelerette wrote:

What's your problem? McLovin' is sorry your life sucks but don't take it out on him. Thought it was an interesting stat to note that no team since the '76 Giants had to face as difficult of a schedule. The people get less and less friendly on here with every passing day.

I don't have a problem. Seems like you do, though, if you have to constantly refer to yourself in the third person. You seem to have issues. I'm sorry you're not smart enough of a Steelers fan to know what a tough schedule the Steelers have this year just by merely seeing their schedule when it first came out, so you have to put all your stock in Al Michaels. ROTFL @ you. :lol:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:18 pm

Agreed Steelerette. Scalaid6 thinks that Mclovinmen has ISSUES

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:21 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:Agreed Steelerette. Scalaid6 thinks that Mclovinmen has ISSUES

What are you doing Sca-never-laid following my posts around the board attacking McLovin? You're a whackjob and a half...now you're siding with this chick who YOU had to explain to why McLovin even made reference to the '76 Giants because she was too dumb to understand it?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:36 pm

Mclovinmen
I stand on the side of truth NO MATTER WHO UTTERS IT. Keep in mind that I had to rephrase your post due to your inability to express yourself. I agree with "the chick". I prefer calling her a woman. I agree with her, she is right. STEVIE WONDER COULD TELL YOU OUR SCHEDULE IS TOUGH.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:42 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:What Al Michaels said was that is was the toughest schedule SINCE THE 76 GIANTS. Thats whay gives the statement some weight and Steelerette NON OF US knew it was that tough is what Mclovin is trying to say. You have to understand Mclovin, that these guys dont like threads like this becuase it gives coach Tomlin an excuse for having an ok season (the schedule) so when you mention things like a tough schedule they get upset because they are coming for Tomlins head. If the guy breathes wrong, they complain. ITS SICKENING

That's not what you said in this rant. Don't rub up on the chick Sca-never-laid she may not be the brightest but she's not interested in a man who snaps off nice ass shots with his cell while buying his gutchies at the mall.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:23 pm

Why quote one of my posts? Look how many times you said i was a "douchebag", "I dont know sh*t". YOU CANT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS. Again, I side with the chick. Look at the hater ooze out of his body. I'm not trying to "hit' on the chick (hater). I have said SEVERAL times, I am happily married with 6 kids and one on the way. I have NEVER cheated on my wife in 20 plus years of marriage and dont plan on it. Shes right you make a thread pointing out the obvious. Shall I make a thread that says "THE STEELERS HAVE NOTHING ON ONE SIDE OF THEIR HELMET!" DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH

Practice Squad

Postby Steel Reinvented » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:47 am

Times like these I would prefer the olden days of KC & The Hairdresser feuding....

Next

Return to Rant Forum