Register

Board index » Rant Forum » Awesome story about Joe Biden and the steelers...

Non-Stiller related rants, pontifications, and soapbox lectures
Practice Squad

Awesome story about Joe Biden and the steelers...

Postby stillhearted » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:34 pm

AP) Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden teared up Thursday when he shared a vignette about how former Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rocky Bleier presented his two young sons with autographed footballs after the fatal crash that killed his wife and daughter.

Biden wiped away tears at a campaign appearance in Greensburg, 20 miles east of Pittsburgh, as he told the story after team owner Dan Rooney's introduction.

Though Biden represented Delaware, where he said one was either a Baltimore Colts or Philadelphia Eagles fan, he said his boys Beau and Hunter "liked the black and gold," drawing applause from the crowd.

After the December 1972 crash, Biden had been keeping vigil in the hospital for his sons, but left to buy them a Christmas tree a couple days before Christmas.

"I came back and they, they looked like they had lighted up like Christmas trees. My one little boy was in traction and the other little boy had a seriously fractured skull and they were happy, and they each had separately, they had footballs in their beds," he said.

Biden paused for about 10 seconds in the Greensburg Salem High School gym to compose himself and the crowd applauded.

"I said, 'Guys, where'd you get the ball?' and they said 'Daddy, Rocky Bleier gave it to us,'" Biden said, again to applause.

Steelers' founder Art Rooney Sr. _ Dan Rooney's father _ sent Bleier to Wilmington "without any fanfare, without any announcement, without anything other than his incredible decency," said Biden, again wiping away tears.

"I really apologize, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have tried to do this," he said. "It's a helluva family, it's a helluva family."

full story:http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/25/ap/politics/main4478868.shtml
video:http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=-e3FRxNQOBc

:subngtowl:

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Awesome story about Joe Biden and the steelers...

Postby Homer J » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:22 pm

It's an awesome story, but the best part is that there are dozens or hundreds of awesome stories concerning The Chief and his legendary kindness. Nor the kindness of Rocky Bleier or his partner in the Steeler backfield.

My younger brother has Down Syndrome and attended St Anthony's School for Exceptional Children in Oakmont. One day, he came home for school and mentioned that Franco and Rocky had been at school that day. We thought they had watched a movie about the Steelers or something, until the next day, when one of the nuns told my mother that, indeed, numbers 20 and 32 had dropped by to visit with the kids.

And Myron Cope and Bob Prince used to call on Frank and Rock to visit kids in Childrens' Hospital on a regular basis. I remember overhearing Myron saying that they would always say yes...and would always ask if there was something they could bring.

It doesn't surprise me at all that The Chief and the Rock quietly did something for 29-year old Joe Biden...and his sons Beau and Hunter....at a time of overwhelming tragedy. They have always comforted the sick and injured, and followed the teachings of scripture. That's why they are they are among our icons.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:58 pm

While it's understood that Joe Biden was on the campaign trail while relaying this story, his family is always first and foremost. It's very evident and as it should be.

Kudos to the Rooneys and those Pittsburgh Steelers, and there are many, who have made someone's day a little brighter and happier due to their kindness, compassion, and generosity.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Nashsteeler » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:46 pm

Never met a Rooney, but had the good fortune of getting to meet the Rock and Franco at the Pro bowl in 1994 when I was stationed at Pearl. Just chillin way up in the upper deck with their wives at Aloha Stadium, and no one seemed to know who they were. A friend and I just chatted with them for about a half hour, after I got over my initial hero worship syndrome. Not an ounce of condescension or annoyance, and just talked Steeler football - it was the year Eric Green started in the Pro bowl and scored a couple of Td's. Got them to sign my hat ( all I had on me), which the navy promptly lost somewhere in the Pacific when they shipped my stuff home, along with my bed and a chest of drawers :|

Meeting Rocky and Franco only served to heighten my admiration and my willingness to cheer for the franchise. I can see why Biden might have teared up. Still not voting for them though. 8-)

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:59 pm

Biden? Crocodile tears. Fer sure.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:57 pm

Let me first say that I have nothing but deep sadness and sympathy that Biden or any father would have to see his children go through such an ordeal, or a husband with regard to his wife.

I wish the video was longer.
I'd like to know the context this was said in?

Why does Biden choose to "share" this story in this context?
The large group setting isn't exactly the kind of setting that leads to spontaeously getting personal or nostalgic. which makes it seem a bit staged (even thought I have no doubt that the story is true).

The context, however, makes me question whether this story was "shared" or "used".

I'm not sure what to think of it with regard to him other than he has my condolences on his families suffering. If he is using his families suffering to further his career, then shame on him, but I won't draw that conclusion with out more video showing the context of how or why he shared this story. I'm not sure it reflects well on Biden.
It does, however, reflect well on Blier and the Rooneys.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Steel_Buckeye » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:05 am

Well said, steelhammer!
I_STEEL_BELIEVE

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:40 am

Biden is a bit of a loon, but I feel for him and his family. I just now jerked a tear watching the youtube clip of Biden.

But it was blatant use of a sob story for votes, imo.

I love Rooney and Rocky for what they did, though.

:sufootballhelmet:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:28 am

But, but, but, Sarah Palin can see Russia from her HOUSE! Talk about a loon. ROTFL! :roll:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Iron Gut » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:29 am

The Steelers have always run a class organization. 95% of all items they have supported go completely unnoticed in the general public. If you have a charity event and contact their front office, they will usually find a way to get a player to make an appearance.

For example, my grade school used to have an annual charity basketball game where the Coaches and a few athletic fathers would play against the Steelers. Typically 6 players would show up and play the game (keeping the score close) and then sign a shit load of autographs and take pictures etc. I remember for some reason that Louis Lipps and Dwayne Woodruff always seemed to be there with the other 3 being a rotating crew. They players made sure that they didn't embarrass the home team while giving a good show (only dunking on breakaways, not blocking shots). Frankly, they could have won by 100 points but always kept it in the 5-10 range. A class act all around.

As for Biden, he saw an opportunity to try and get some cheap votes. All is fair in politics. Nonetheless, it didn't score too many brownie points with those who have half a brain. Unfortunately, the guy I'm voting for doesn't excite too many people either.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:20 am

steelerette wrote:But, but, but, Sarah Palin can see Russia from her HOUSE! Talk about a loon. ROTFL! :roll:

Don't worry, I am an Obama type of guy, steelerette. I think they are all loons, though, especially the goofy Palin!

:cheers:

At any rate, I don't think Biden should have run that story out there ... a violation of Rooney/Rocky privacy? They did it quietly, so keep it quiet!

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Stillustronic » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:25 am

steelerette wrote:But, but, but, Sarah Palin can see Russia from her HOUSE! Talk about a loon. ROTFL! :roll:

Not unless her house is several hundred feet tall. 17 miles at sea level is the distance you can see land due to the curvature of the earth.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:04 pm

Stillustronic wrote:

Not unless her house is several hundred feet tall. 17 miles at sea level is the distance you can see land due to the curvature of the earth.

Please tell me that you realize that Sarah Palin never actual said she could see russia from her house.

What she said was Russia could be seen from land in Alaska, which apparently is true, even if not particuary relevant to the question she was asked by Charlie Gibson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXL86v8NoGk

For those that don't think Russia can be seen from Alaska:

There are two islands in the Bering Staight - Big Diomede and Little Diomede. The big island is Russian and the small one American and part of Alaska. They are 1.5 miles from each other. Interestingly, the International Date Line separates the two, so there is a time difference of 23 hours between the two.
Here is what the view of Russia looks like from Little Diomede, Alsaka
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelstpatrick/466375854/

Lets stay on the topic of this thread, which is about Biden's comment about STEELERS PLAYERS and the Rooneys
Feel free to start a thread on other topics in the appropriate forum.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby jstallworth82 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:06 pm

A friend of mine got hit by a car whewe were kids and while laid up in the hospital with leg in traction Mike Webster and John Kolb stopped in and talked with him for awhile and really made his day. They apparently visited all the kids in that hospital that day.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:27 pm

He was introduced at the event by a member of the Rooney family. Based on that, it's certainly okay for him to refer to what the Rooney family did for him in a moment of unbelievable sadness and loss. The Rooneys have always been family first and suckers (in the good way) for kids. That's why they're so loved.

Biden is a windbag....probably the biggest windbag in the Senate. (A nice guy, though.) And he has every right to speak to something that happened between his family and the Rooneys when he's on stage with them.

I mean, it's certainly no worse than Johnny McCain coming to Pittsburgh and saying he used the names of the Steelers' Steel Curtain defense when the North Vietnamese demanded to know the names of the members of his squadron. A compelling story until someone realized that Joe Greene wasn't even drafted until two years after John was shot down, and the other guys came after Mean Joe. Then John remembered it was the Packers' defensive line, or something. Oops.

They all pander. They are, after all, politicians.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:39 pm

Homer J wrote:He was introduced at the event by a member of the Rooney family. Based on that, it's certainly okay for him to refer to what the Rooney family did for him in a moment of unbelievable sadness and loss. The Rooneys have always been family first and suckers (in the good way) for kids. That's why they're so loved.

Biden is a windbag....probably the biggest windbag in the Senate. (A nice guy, though.) And he has every right to speak to something that happened between his family and the Rooneys when he's on stage with them.

That is why I asked about context.
If Rooney introduced him, it makes some sense to bring it up.
The Rooney's are all class. I am sure there are many stories like this about them.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:49 pm

thesteelhammer wrote:
Stillustronic wrote:

Please tell me that you realize that Sarah Palin never actual said she could see russia from her house.

What she said was Russia could be seen from land in Alaska, which apparently is true, even if not particuary relevant to the question she was asked by Charlie Gibson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXL86v8NoGk

For those that don't think Russia can be seen from Alaska:

There are two islands in the Bering Staight - Big Diomede and Little Diomede. The big island is Russian and the small one American and part of Alaska. They are 1.5 miles from each other. Interestingly, the International Date Line separates the two, so there is a time difference of 23 hours between the two.
Here is what the view of Russia looks like from Little Diomede, Alsaka
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelstpatrick/466375854/

Lets stay on the topic of this thread, which is about Biden's comment about STEELERS PLAYERS and the Rooneys
Feel free to start a thread on other topics in the appropriate forum.

ROTFL! You don't watch SNL much, do ya? Do a search on YouTube for Tina Fey as Sarah Palin on SNL. Hilarious and spot on. But, seriously, she is a loon... Sarah Palin that is. ;)

Seasoned Veteran

Postby GodfatherofSoul » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:14 pm

Pretty sad that a candidate can't relate this touching story without an avalanche of accusations of politics. Do any of you bitch about the way McCain drops his POW past every time he speaks?

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:26 pm

Moved this cause it's become more political than steelers related.

GodfatherofSoul wrote:Pretty sad that a candidate can't relate this touching story without an avalanche of accusations of politics

Can it be both?

GodfatherofSoul wrote:Do any of you bitch about the way McCain drops his POW past every time he speaks?

A lot of people do. I think you just did.
I think it is appropriate for any candidate to speak about his service, and 5 years of his service was as a POW.

Steelerette,
Yeah, I know about the SNL skit. It was funny.
Problem I have is that some ignorant people think she actually said what Tina Fey said.

If she's a loon, so are a lot of people I know, which could be the case. :D
Of course I trust my "loons" a lot more than anybody in Washington.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby GodfatherofSoul » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:30 am

thesteelhammer wrote:Moved this cause it's become more political than steelers related.

GodfatherofSoul wrote:Pretty sad that a candidate can't relate this touching story without an avalanche of accusations of politics

Can it be both?

GodfatherofSoul wrote:Do any of you bitch about the way McCain drops his POW past every time he speaks?

A lot of people do. I think you just did.
I think it is appropriate for any candidate to speak about his service, and 5 years of his service was as a POW.

Steelerette,
Yeah, I know about the SNL skit. It was funny.
Problem I have is that some ignorant people think she actually said what Tina Fey said.

If she's a loon, so are a lot of people I know, which could be the case. :D
Of course I trust my "loons" a lot more than anybody in Washington.

Can it be both? Yes. Is it? No. And, I don't care about McCain saying he's a POW and telling the story. My problem is when he and his surrogates whip it out to kill any attempt to question his actions.

Next

Return to Rant Forum