Register

Board index » Rant Forum » The XFL; Who Else Watched It?

Non-Stiller related rants, pontifications, and soapbox lectures
Grizzled Veteran

The XFL; Who Else Watched It?

Postby Steelers76 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:47 am

I'm a football junkie. So after The Super Bowl or Pro Bowl is played sometime in Feb., I go into major withdraw. I've tried to watch Arena Football as an alternative, but it just didn't do it for me. However, I really liked The XFL during it's first and only year back in 2001. It's too bad it ended up failing, as I really enjoyed it as a calming for my craving for more football for that time of the year. I.E.-Early February to late April. I know of at least one other person who was grateful for The XFL; Tommy Maddox, as I doubt he would've gotten a second chance at The NFL if not for this league. At any rate, do we have any ex-XFL fans here, or even people who didn't like it? Discuss.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: The XFL; Who Else Watched It?

Postby Steelers76 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:53 am

Bump; Nobody watched The XFL? Guess I shouldn''t be all that surprised.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:51 am

I watched some.
Back then, I liked to write stuff on potential talent for the Steelers to look at.

The best talent in that league was the cheerleaders though. :wow:
Unfortunately the steelers kept their eyes on the field and signed Tommy Maddox.

There is one thing I think the NFL should pick up from the old XFL.
Helmets for the refs. If I remem right the XFL refs wore hockey helmets. (no face mask) Seems like a safe percaution

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steelers76 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:48 am

Funny story about The XFL; You'll remember at the time The Steelers were having a lot of trouble with Kordell Stewart's play at QB. It was widely know that The Team wasn't going to throw a lot of money to big name free agent QBs' to back Kordell up. I was watching a lot of The XFL then, and remember telling my dad that The Steelers would be well advised to look at a couple of Ex-NFL 1st Round Draft Picks that I thought looked impressive at the time; Tommy Maddox of The L.A. Xtreme, and Jim Drukenmiller of The Memphis Maniax. My reasoning was that both could be secured through little $$$. If they didn't work out, no big deal. But if they did, The Steelers had themselves a bargin back-up QB. Well, when The Steelers signed Maddox later that year after The XFL folded and he ended up making the team as Kordell's back-up, I remember my dad telling me "You called it." A year after he arrived in The Burgh, Maddox replaced a (once again) struggling Kordell Stewart,(In his last season in Pittsburgh), helping the team rebound from an 0-2 start to win The Division, win a memorable, come from behind Wild Card Game at home against The Browns, and come within a heart-beat of an AFC Title Game apperance. Also, I believe that Maddox won NFL Comeback Player Of The Year that season.(2002) His accomplishments after that were minimal, but he filled the gap nicely between Kordell and the drafting of The Steelers future at the position, Big Ben. And don't forget he's won a SB Ring in his final season with The Steelers in 2005. So The XFL was responsible for something good,(as far as I'm concered), that would've never happened had they not played that 1 and only season.

Return to Rant Forum