Register

Board index » Other Sports Forum » Crapitals fans jealous of Pens success....

Talk about the Pens, Pirates, or any Pittsburgh sports
Practice Squad

Crapitals fans jealous of Pens success....

Postby KStreetStiller » Fri May 23, 2008 6:04 pm

The Penguins are in the Stanley Cup Finals and all of DC is revved up to root against Sid and the Pens. The local sports talk shows, sans one, are purposely omitting any mention of the Pens-Wings series here. If it is mentioned, it's a jealous rant with more than pinch of hatred for Sid the Kid and Geno the Machino. The expected "Oveckin's better than both of them" gets trotted out but is preceeded by an acidy rendition of the following: "Oh, I'll be watching, at least the first couple of games. I want to see that punk Crosby flattened by [take your pick of Red Wing]. I don't know if I can stand seeing Crosby carrying that trophy".... Funny stuff.

Washington, DC does have great hockey fans and unlike other American cities, these fans know their hockey. And don't be fooled: More than a handful will be watching the Cup finals rather than the NBA conference semis. They'll be watching and rooting like hell against the Pens. The second best thing to actually being at one of the games will be to see the look on these clowns' faces when the Pens win the f***** Cup!

Practice Squad

Re: Crapitals fans jealous of Pens success....

Postby BuZZmaKeR29 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:31 am

My good friend I actually have to take issue with you on part of your thread. I have played hockey my whole life, midget AAA, Canadian Junior A, and college. I love the sport, and naturally being a native of western PA I love my Pens (my love for the team runs equal to the Stillers...bleed black and gold) and know all about the Caps-Pens "rivalry." Furthermore, I have been living in DC for the past 5 years and will tell you this straight up: DC is a SHITTY hockey town and their "fans" are warm weather hockey know nothings as a general rule. I am NOT saying there aren't some true lifelong, knowledgable Caps fans in the area, there are...but they make up the vast minority. They fill the Verizon Center half to three quarters full, only selling out when certain hated teams come to town...the Pens being the most hated. But on those days half the rink, if not more, is filled with Pens fans.

Granted the Caps have sucked prior to their great run to end the season, but regardless here is an accuate summary of a average Caps "fan." 1) they have nothing more than a casual fan's knowledge of the game...which is scant at best; 2) they only show interest when the Caps are winning and dissappear just as quickly when their success slows; 3) they claim that the Caps, if they make the playoffs, will win the Cup, with no real logic backing up their statements; 4) Ovechkin is the greatest player in the game PERIOD and Sid and Geno suck; 5) and it is true that their hatred (i.e. jealousy) of the Pens runs deep...the reasoning is split depending on the age of the "fan," the younger fans hate the Pens because they feel that Sid gets more attention by the NHL then does ugly Alex and the Pens have more quickly become an elite team since both were perenial doormats a few years ago...the older fan hates the Pens because of our outright playoff dominance in head to head series' dating back to the Patrick Division.

All I'm saying is FUCK the CAPS and their "fans." The town is far too transient to sustain a large, truly diehard fan base that cities like Pittsburgh possess...that even goes for the "Skins too (but the 'Skins fan base is far larger than the Caps, but the representation of the District's residents in relation to their sports teams remains similar to one degree or another).

In sum, do they hate us and our team...YES. But who cares. Athletically, and fanetically, they remain below us...for now.

Return to Other Sports Forum