Register

Board index » Other Sports Forum » Kimbo vs. Shamrock - Who cares?

Talk about the Pens, Pirates, or any Pittsburgh sports
Stillers.com Team

Kimbo vs. Shamrock - Who cares?

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:47 pm

No joke.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Am99b4oZv6c3rBy2YTlMa5w9Eo14?slug=dm-mmanotes082508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

But keep reading the article all the way to the end, because there is some exciting news.
olympic wrestler and NCAA SUPER STUD, Ben Askren says he might turn to MMA now.

Stillers.com Team

Re: Kimbo vs. Shamrock - Who cares?

Postby trenches » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:36 pm

Kimbo the over-hyped vs. Shamrock the old. Despite being WAY past his prime, I bet Shamrock can beat the brawling Slice. Slice is only cashing in and I find that annoying. I hope he loses since he's hugely under-skilled and has never been in shape.

I have never seen Askren in action, does he have what it takes?

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:17 pm

Askren is quite possibly the best college wrester of this decade. That would be an excellent base for MMA. Obviously he'd have to learn stand up and submission defense, but he is also just a tough guy.

I'm with you on Kimbo. Hope Shamrock knocks him out.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:46 pm

Hammer,

Having never seen Askren, I can totally believe that a stand-out wrestler would have a strong base to build upon. As a grappler, he should be able to learn submission defense and offense fairly naturally. The stand up game always seems to be easier to learn and they can guide him through the right opponents to shield that weakness until he's ready. I'm curious to follow this guy if he joins the MMA ranks.... it's fun to watch projects at work.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:43 pm

Here is his olympic bio:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/athletes/athlete=1309/bio/index.html

BTW: pretty obvious that no one care about Shamrock/kimbo when we talked more about a wrestler in this thread than the threads title fight. :D

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:50 pm

I can certainly appreciate the fact that a lot of people feel Kimbo is cashing in off of no-name and old opponents.

I myself became a Kimbo Slice fan a while back after seeing the video of him turning that guy's eye/eye socket into a meaty pulp with a couple of solid punches kickin' it backyard fighting style.

I really would like to see him fight some 'somebodies' and get away from the 'nobodies'... I mean... Tank Abbott? REALLY??? This isn't 1996 anymore.

The last of Kimbo's fights should have never been stopped. Who cares if his ear popped open? He was fighting well and had that "I can beat this big ugly fugger's arse" look in his eye.

That aside, Kimbo is a handful and I know I could never take the man straight up in a fight, much less in a controlled arena. He IS a beast of a man. I just feel that as he continues to beat nobodies and washed-up'ians, he will slowly put himself in a position to be exposed when enough people start crying for him to start fighting some "REAL" competition.

Only time will tell.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:00 pm

WoodsonOfSteel wrote:Who cares if his ear popped open?

I agree, but must admit that that cauliflower ear was BUSTED OPEN! That ear was floppy like a hound dog's!

I admit that I was a fan of his based on the internet fights, but he's not world class. Had he started 8-10 years ago, who knows, though... I partly root for him and partly against him... I don't like the way he's hustled into the scene, at the same time, he went from homeless to superstar... who am I to judge!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:13 am

he went from homeless to superstar

That's not accurate to my knowledge.

From my understanding, he went from a University of Miami student, on an academic scholarship at that... To being a bodyguard for a get-rich-quick (Which they assuredly did) internet-based pr0n production company around Miami. ('Nigga's gotta eat', ya know...) And now he is the big, burly, lovable bearded ass-kicker that we know him as today.

So it's been rumored he lived a month... A MONTH mind you... In a... Get this... PATHFINDER of all vehicles... Before 'finding his way in life' shortly after his pre-mature college departure. I'd have to be able to talk to him about that face-to-face... But even IF it's true... I wouldn't call it 'homeless'. I mean... I think a Pathfinder would at least qualify as a 'mobile home'... No?

*BUH DUM CHING* wacka wacka wacka

:celebrate: :suplusone: me.

:sudancin:

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:23 pm

Agreed... tornado chasers and media crews have a rougher life than that in their overpacked vans. :D

Well... at least he tries to look homeless.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:17 pm

Somebody needs to introduce that brutha to some clippers and a toof'brush.

Return to Other Sports Forum