Register

Board index » Other Sports Forum » Well, The Pirates Should Have A Good Bullpen This Season!

Talk about the Pens, Pirates, or any Pittsburgh sports
Grizzled Veteran

Well, The Pirates Should Have A Good Bullpen This Season!

Postby Steelers76 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:42 am

Well, The Pirates should have a good bullpen this year if nothing else. After letting Matt Capps go,(an actual wise move by the organization, as he has been going downhill for the past few years. He finished last season with an ERA just under 6), they recently inked vet Octoviol (SP?) Dotel to be their new closer. No reliever has had more strikeouts than Dotel since 2000. Before that, they inked another vet, long-time set-up man Brendan Donnely, who has been solid in his role ever since he debuted in the league. However, I don't know how the hell this builds for the future, as 1.) Both players are in their mid-to late 30s', and B.) They both are just inked for this season. Also, I don't know what a good bullpen will do if you can't score runs, but I digress. Thoughts?

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Well, The Pirates Should Have A Good Bullpen This Season!

Postby steelcitymetal » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:06 pm

this makes me very happy. i don't necessarily know much about dotel or donnely, but just the fact that they're not trading 1 player for 4 prospects is good to see. and actually giving the impression that they're trying to win games now, is a good sign.

a good set-up and closer combo is like having a great defense in the 4th quarter. find a way to get the lead and they'll win you some games.

Return to Other Sports Forum