Register

Board index » Other Sports Forum » UFC Thread

Talk about the Pens, Pirates, or any Pittsburgh sports
Stillers.com Team

UFC Thread

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:12 pm

ultimate fighter on tonight. Anyone else watching?

Stillers.com Team

Re: UFC Thread

Postby thesteelhammer » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:59 pm

Looks like Chuck Liddell vs. Rashad Evans is back on!
Can't wait to see this one. :celebrate:

UFC 88 September 6th
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=12839

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:42 pm

Nice fight last night. Couldn't believe CB got caught in an arm bar (though to Amir's credit, he almost had him in a submissions twice earlier in the fight.). CB sure tapped fast though.

Didn't like Jesse Taylor. Guy was an Ass from day one, but still hate to see a fighter eliminated by stuff outside the cage. (Though if I were Dana White, I'd have given him the boot also.)

CB should be counting his lucky stars for the 2nd chance.
Should be an interesting rematch. CB plenty motivated. Both fighters polished by weeks of training for just one fighter.

Card for finale looks entertaining. Hope they broadcast some more of the early fights.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:09 pm

Good read on how Dana White is keep UFC's competitors from making money.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AuxjXgVfRl5AmBu3XHvDbTg5nYcB?slug=dw-mmawars070908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:59 pm

No Gravity wrote:
Hey saw your posts about the Rampage/Griffin fight in the other forum. Didn't know you watched MMA.

Rampage got royally screwed in my opinion . I had him winning rounds 1, 3, and 4 while Griffin had 2 (scored 10-8) and 5. It should have been declared a draw and went to a 6th round.

Yeah, I'm a big MMA fan. As a teenager, I use to wrestle and also did some martial arts. I still coach wrestling. I'm thrilled MMA has become more mainstream. It might save the sport of wrestling.

I don't think Rampage got screwed, but I think it is debatable who won that fight.
Forrest owned round two. You just can't leave a fight that close.
I would have loved for it to have been scored a draw, and gone to a 6th round.
As it is now, we'll see a re-match. Question is will it be Griffin's first defense, or will he take someone else on first.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:06 pm

For those who didn't see the fight here is decent a round by round description
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ys-ufclive070508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Griffin upsets Jackson for UFC title
By Y! Sports Staff
Jul 6, 12:48 am EDT

Buzz Up PrintLAS VEGAS – Saturday’s match-by-match results from the Mandalay Bay Events Center.

UFC light heavyweight championship: Forrest Griffin def. Quinton Jackon, unanimous decision, to win title
Judges scores: Adalaide Byrd 48-46, Nelson Hamilton 48-46, Roy Silbert 49-46
Y! Sports scores: Kevin Iole scores it 48-46 Griffin; Dave Meltzer and Dave Doyle score it a 47-47 draw.

Round 1: Crowd is deafening and very much pro-Griffin as the fight begins. Griffin starts with a few low kicks. Jackson misses a right uppercut. Griffin’s punches are coming up short as crowd roars his name. Griffin lands a right to the head. Griffin lands a right inside. Griffin connects with a low kick. Griffin is setting the pace. Left to the chin by Jackson backs up Griffin. It probably didn’t land fully. Left and a right by Jackson. Griffin kicking a lot, mostly at Jackson’s legs. Hard combination by Jackson wobbles Griffin. Griffin backs up Jackson with a combination and a kick. They clinch on the cage. Jackson’s having trouble moving from the kicks. Left leg seems to be bothering him. Right uppercut from Jackson knocks Griffin down. Jackson lands several hard shots as Griffin is working his way up. Griffin lands two good knees to the midsection. Crowd is roaring as the round ends. Jackson’s round, 10-9

Round 2: Kick to leg really hurts Jackson. He may not be able to last. Griffin lands a few knees and takes Jackson down. Jackson is in big trouble because he can’t move on his left leg. Griffin is in half guard and firing a couple of elbows. Jackson is doing nothing as Griffin moves to side control. Griffin is going for an arm bar, but Jackson gets out. Griffin is still in a dominant position. Griffin throws a few rights to the head. Many in the crowd are standing. Griffin gets mount. Jackson could be in deep trouble. Griffin throwing more elbows as the crowd roars its encouragement. Griffin’s round, 10-8

Round 3: Jackson is walking a little better than he was earlier. They trade inside, but Griffin dances away from trouble. One good kick to the leg and Jackson will likely be in big trouble and in danger of being stopped. Griffin kicking at the leg. Jackson blocks a high kick with his forearm. Combination by Jackson connects. Left by Jackson backs up Griffin. Griffin lands a kick to Jackson’s bad left leg, but it doesn’t seem to do much damage. The pace has slowed greatly. Griffin misses a kick to the head. Griffin lands a pair of lefts. Jackson lands a right, but Griffin ducks away from the rest of the bombs. Griffin’s round, 10-9

Round 4: Jackson lands a combination, including a hard right. Jackson lands two right uppercuts. They go down and Jackson is in Griffin’s guard. Griffin appears to be cut on the right eyebrow. The crowd is chanting for Jackson. Griffin slaps on a triangle, but Jackson slams him to break it. Jackson again in the guard with Griffin looking to find a submission. Jackson lands a few punches to the head. Griffin nearly puts Jackson in an armbar. Jackson escapes and lands a combination of punches. They’re back on their feet in the middle of the ring. Griffin lands a left. Jackson lands a right that pushes Griffin back. Jackson is doing a good job of avoiding the low kicks. Big left and then a right by Jackson. Another good left to the head by Jackson. Jackson lands a left-right combination. Hard combination to the body by Jackson. Jackson’s round, 10-9

Round 5: Griffin is circling as the round opens and flips a jab. Jackson misses a wild right. Griffin is short on a combination. Griffin lands a kick to the injured left leg of the reigning champion. Right by Griffin. Knee in the clinch by Griffin. Left-right by Jackson. Right to the body by Jackson. Right to the chin by Griffin. Jackson’s title reign seems to be slipping away. He needs to make something happen. Griffin is fighting a smart fight. Jackson connects with a right inside. Jackson lands a hard combination. There is a minute left and the crowd is roaring. Jackson lands a left. Griffin lands a low kick. Griffin is dancing away as Jackson charges in. They clinch as the bell sounds. Griffin’s round, 10-9 – Kevin Iole

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:18 am

Round 3 was the only round in question. Two out of the 3 judges gave Forrest round 1 which I thought was absolutely ridiculous. I agree with the Yahoo Sports analysis of the fight. If it was a majority decision or split decision in favor of Forrest I wouldn't be as angry but 49-46? What the hell was that guy watching ???

I'm hyped for the Affliction and UFC: Irvin vs. Silva on July 19. You ordering the former or are you just going to catch the freebee on Spike :yes: ?
Last edited by No l Gravity l on Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:26 am

Oh and who are your favorite fighters btw? My rundown goes:

LW: BJ Penn
WW: BJ Penn, Karo (yeah I know everyone hates)
MW: Silva, Franklin (class act)
LHW: Wanderlei, Shogun, Page, BJ Penn (hey he did fight Machida here once)
HW: Arlovski

Yeah I never root against those fighters in that order pretty much. As you can see, I'm a BJ fanboy. Oh and dude I dunno how old you are but if you have a facebook you should definitely join one of the mma groups I'm in. Looks like you're pretty big into it yourself. Really good MMA discussion in there...

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:46 am

No l Gravity l wrote:I'm hyped for the Affliction and UFC: Irvin vs. Silva on July 19. You ordering the former or are you just going to catch the freebee on Spike :yes: ?

The Affliction thing is interesting because they actually got some good fights and fighters on that card. White's way of dealing with it is almost as entertaining as the fights themselves.

I never order the stuff. To me doing that only encourages more fights to go pay-per-view, which is half of what killed boxing. I don't want to see that happen to MMA.
What I generally do is get some of my buds to go watch it a bar, or at one of their places. Gives me an excuse to get out of the house, and throw a few cold ones back.

But I haven't made plans yet to catch the Afflcition card, so we'll see.
I'll either record or watch the UFC - Silva thing.

Who are my favorite fighters?
Man, I honestly never thought of it like that. Like a list.

I usually pull for the guys with wrestling backgrounds, and I like underdogs.
I know it is a little cheezey, but I watch the ultimate fighter, so being familiar with some of those guys, I tend to have a favorite out of each cast and that continues after their season ends as well, so I'll pull for them.

The upcoming fight between Chuck and Rashad is a good example. Both old wrestlers, so normally'd favor them in a fight over a pure striker or jujitsu guy. I don't know who I wan to win that fight, but I am really looking forward to it.

I'm going to put some thought into a list just cause it sounds fun. I'll get back to you on that.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:41 am

Alright, here is a first attempt at a list (based on UFC.com listed fighters - which I realize aren't all the MMA fighters out there and If I thought about it more would think of a few I'd want on the list)
In no particular order

Lightweights
Fisher Spencer 21-3-0 5' 7" (170 cm) 155 (70 kg)
Florian Kenny 9-3-0 5' 10" (178 cm) 155 (70 kg)
Lauzon Joe 15-3-0 5' 10" (178 cm) 155 (70 kg)
Maynard Gray 5-0-1 5' 8" (173 cm) 155 (70 kg)
Penn BJ 14-4-1 5' 9" (175 cm) 155 (70 kg)

Welterweights

Burkman Josh 20-5-0 5' 10" (178 cm) 170 (77 kg)
Davis Marcus 19-5-0 5' 10" (178 cm) 170 (77 kg)
Fitch Jon 21-2-0 6' 0" (183 cm) 170 (77 kg)
Hughes Matt 43-7-0 5' 9" (175 cm) 170 (77 kg)
Koscheck Josh 13-2-0 5' 10" (178 cm) 170 (77 kg)
Serra Matt 16-5-0 5' 6" (168 cm) 170 (77 kg)

Middleweights

Franklin Rich 25-3-0 6' 1" (185 cm) 185 (84 kg)
Gracie Royce 13-2-2 6' 1" (185 cm) 180 (82 kg)
Horn Jeremy 88-17-5 6' 2" (188 cm) 185 (84 kg)
Leben Chris 18-4-0 5' 11" (180 cm) 185 (84 kg)
Henderson Dan 22-8-0 6' 1" (185 cm) 185 (84 kg)

Light Heavyweight

Alexander Houston 8-1-0 6' 0" (183 cm) 205 (93 kg)
Evans Rashad 16-0-1 5' 11" (180 cm) 205 (93 kg)
Griffin Forrest 15-4-0 6' 3" (191 cm) 205 (93 kg)
Hamill Matt 5-1-0 6' 1" (185 cm) 205 (93 kg)
Jackson Quinton 27-6-0 6' 1" (185 cm) 205 (93 kg)
Liddell Chuck 21-5-0 6' 2" (188 cm) 205 (93 kg)

Heavyweight (I’m not much of a fan of fat boys – notice my top 2 are retired)

Coleman Mark 15-8-0 6' 1" (185 cm) 255 (116 kg)
Couture Randy 15-8-0 6' 2" (188 cm) 220 (100 kg)
Hasselrig Carlton

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:25 pm

Actually Coleman is back in with the UFC. He was suppose to fight Brock Lesnar in August but had an injury and got pulled for Heath Herring instead. He said he was going to drop to the 205 lb weight division when he is healthy

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:35 pm

I saw that about Coleman also. I'll call him unretired when he actually has a fight.
The guy was great back in the day, so I hope he can make a come back. Gotta pull for a Buckeye.

I want to like Arlovski, but just can't get over the stupid fang things he had in his mouth.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:37 pm

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:56 pm

New season starts tonight. :sushootem:

Return to Other Sports Forum