Register

Board index » Other Sports Forum » MMA goes mainstream - tonight on CBS

Talk about the Pens, Pirates, or any Pittsburgh sports
Stillers.com Team

MMA goes mainstream - tonight on CBS

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat May 31, 2008 1:37 pm

http://www.sportsline.com/mmaboxing

9pm tonight a major network, CBS, will be broadcasting MMA.
Wasn't that long ago, John McCain was trying to have the sport banned.
I'm not real excited about any of the match ups, but it is a big step for a sport I like.

Also, Former Steeler O-lineman Carlton Haselrig is on the undercard, but probably won't make the broadcast.

Stillers.com Team

Re: MMA goes mainstream - tonight on CBS

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat May 31, 2008 8:47 pm

The under-card sucked. Some of the worst MMA I've seen.

James "Binky" Jones beat Calvin Kattar in what was probably the best fight. Katter tapped with just seconds left in the round. He probably could have held on, but didn't seem to know how much time was left.

In what was a ground battle, Wilson Reis made Justin Robbins tap out. Robbins was trained by UFC Legend Matt Hughes. I thought Reis had broken Robbins arm at one point. Decent fight, but Robbins was on the defense the entire time.

Matt Makowski actually made Nick Serra quit in the middle of a round. Nick Serra is former UFC Welter-weight champion and "Ultimate Fighter" champion Matt Serra's Little brother. Nick is also a Gracie Brazilian Ju-jitsu black belt. Makiwski was dominating with his upper-cuts and kicks. In what was one of the most disgraceful moments I've ever seen in professional sports, Nick Serra, after flopping on the mat several times, actually refused to stand back up in the middle of a round. Gracie should take back his black belt.

The Carlton Haselrig fight was interesting. The former Steeler won. His opponent, Carlos Moreno, had taken the fight on short notice. Haselrig took Moreno down several times and dominated the fight with his superior wrestling, but Moreno was in the fight because he was the better striker. It only went one round; however, because Moreno refused to come out for the second round. I'm not sure why. Posssibly just being out of shape/out of gas. Haselrig probably would have gone on to win the match anyway, but all it would have taken was one punch from Moreno to change that. Disappointing ending. Carlton didn't seem to have any finishing moves, but looked really good for a 42 year old man.

The fighters on the under-card had a lot to learn. They tended to be one-dimensional MMA fighters, with questionable cardio, and in some cases questionable heart.

I'm kinda doubtful, but Let's hope the main card is better.

Return to Other Sports Forum