Register

Board index » NFL Forum » Brady

Talk about what's going on around the rest of the NFL
Grizzled Veteran

Brady

Postby indysteel » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:54 pm

Some one tell me....are all the sport networks devoting the entire segment to Tom Brady being out for the season? I'll bet thats all we'll hear about this week.

For crying out loud.

Between that and Farve, it's hard to believe anything else happened yesterday afternoon.

Stillers.com Team

Re: Brady

Postby Nel » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:56 pm

Well, he is a pretty thing and he was MVP.

:P

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:58 pm

Oh yeah... And Brett Favre retired in '08 only to be reinstated and win his first start.

Did anyone see that???

Grizzled Veteran

Postby indysteel » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:03 pm

Geez....Farve won yesterday???? :oops:

Holy Cow!

Thank God for ESPN, NFL Network, and other assorted "sport" channels. For crying out loud......

I don't know.....the all the slober over McNabb was pretty disgusting too. On the other hand, McNabb only does that about once every 40 games so I guess it was news.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:18 pm

Here's something that just hit me...

Now that the NFL's golden-child QB has gone down with a potential season-ending injury... Does anyone see rule-change lobbying going on to protect QBs legs? Ben had a scare. Carson had a tear. Duante had a hell of a trifecta rip. And now Brady.

How long before you can't tackle the QB, but instead TAP him (or her) GENTLY twice on the chest or back using both hands?

Seriously though. The head is off limits on a QB. Are the legs soon to follow? I hope not. Even just an ATTEMPT at trying to do such would surely cause me to stay away from the NFL indefinitely.

Thoughts?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby indysteel » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:24 pm

Here is the thing ---

If (and that's a BIG if) they could get away with it, they would. However, they can only go so far until people will begin to view watching football right up there with chess matches.

How about when Jones pile drove Bradshaw into the ground? If I'm not mistaken, was that not the incident that led Lambert to mention his "put the QB in dresses" comment on MNF shortly thereafter?

The problem with the league (IMO) --- they are trying to make the game too clean, orderly, and sanitary.
Frankly, there is just something that appeals to me about players having blood on them, 2 inches of ice on the ground, a hated rival is being played against, and snot flying hits happening. You take all that away (and they are close)-- I'm not sure I'm that interested anymore.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Nashsteeler » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:18 am

Seriously though. The head is off limits on a QB. Are the legs soon to follow? I hope not. Even just an ATTEMPT at trying to do such would surely cause me to stay away from the NFL indefinitely.

The legs already ARE off limits. Players are not supposed to intentionally tackle the QB while he is "exposed" i.e. in the pocket below the waist or in the head. In most cases where they get hurt, though, as in the case of Brady's hit, the player gets blocked into the QB. Ben's hit looked intentional, but that may just be me being a scared homer. I don't relish the thought of Lefty trying to lead us to the promised land, especially with how sharp Ben looked Sunday.

It's a tough call for the officials to make. And, after the QB gets outside and becomes a runner, those rules do not apply anymore.

Return to NFL Forum