Register

Board index » NFL Forum » The "Tuck Rule" has to go...

Talk about what's going on around the rest of the NFL
Greenhorned Rookie

The "Tuck Rule" has to go...

Postby Guinness » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:12 pm

In the Cowboys/Cardinals game today the "Tuck Rule" reared it's head again and nullified a touchdown on a fumble recovery in the end zone for the Cardinals against the Cowboys.

Maybe I'm crazy but it seemed to me that Romo, knowing he would be tackled for a safety "intentionally" fumbled a "tuck" after pulling back a pass with rushers in his face. Why not? If he holds onto the ball he would have been tackled for a safety. If he would have thrown it with the rushers in his face it would have likely been intentional grounding (safety) or an interception. By starting his arm in the forward motion and then dropping the ball - it is automatically considered an incomplete pass based on the infamous "Tuck Rule".

Romo jumped up after the play immediately signaling his coach to throw the red flag because he knew that the "Tuck Rule" applied and the fumble would be reversed. I think this was an intentional exploitation and manipulation by Tony Romo of one of the worst rules in the game (smart play on his part to take advantage of a rule that allowed for the start of the Pats dynasty). The net was that the Cardinals didn't get a safety nor a touchdown. It was simply an incomplete pass. Quarterbacks around the league should keep this in mind when surrounded by pass rushers with no hope of escape. Just get your arm moving forward and let the ball slip out...no sack, no intentional grounding, just an incomplete pass.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: The "Tuck Rule" has to go...

Postby jstallworth82 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:23 pm

I agree... This is a bullcrap rule

Seasoned Veteran

Postby GodfatherofSoul » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:33 pm

Guinness wrote:In the Cowboys/Cardinals game today the "Tuck Rule" reared it's head again and nullified a touchdown on a fumble recovery in the end zone for the Cardinals against the Cowboys.

Maybe I'm crazy but it seemed to me that Romo, knowing he would be tackled for a safety "intentionally" fumbled a "tuck" after pulling back a pass with rushers in his face. Why not? If he holds onto the ball he would have been tackled for a safety. If he would have thrown it with the rushers in his face it would have likely been intentional grounding (safety) or an interception. By starting his arm in the forward motion and then dropping the ball - it is automatically considered an incomplete pass based on the infamous "Tuck Rule".

Romo jumped up after the play immediately signaling his coach to throw the red flag because he knew that the "Tuck Rule" applied and the fumble would be reversed. I think this was an intentional exploitation and manipulation by Tony Romo of one of the worst rules in the game (smart play on his part to take advantage of a rule that allowed for the start of the Pats dynasty). The net was that the Cardinals didn't get a safety nor a touchdown. It was simply an incomplete pass. Quarterbacks around the league should keep this in mind when surrounded by pass rushers with no hope of escape. Just get your arm moving forward and let the ball slip out...no sack, no intentional grounding, just an incomplete pass.

There is no such thing as the "tuck rule." There is only the face-saving backwards engineered interpretation that the NFL has to acquiesce to rather than admit either corruption or incompetent in that infamous New England-Oakland playoffs game.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:55 am

Agreed. I saw that play and the rule is BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby jstallworth82 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:35 pm

See we agree on some things... oh ohhh

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Guinness » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:05 pm

jstallworth82 wrote:See we agree on some things... oh ohhh

scary.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Steel_Buckeye » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:32 am

Isn't it funny how this rule always comes into effect in the most critical times and in bigger games? Never like on a 2nd and 8 play from the 49 yard line between Detroit and Kansas City?
But I agree, just awful, just awful! :no:
I_STEEL_BELIEVE

Return to NFL Forum