Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Troy's thoughts on the evolution of football

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

Troy's thoughts on the evolution of football

Postby ktm5411 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:48 pm

Interesting and rare comment from him regarding the recent penalties and fines. I must say that I strongly agree.

"It loses so much of its essence, and it really becomes like a pansy game," the Steelers' Pro Bowl strong safety said.

"I think regarding the evolution of football, it's becoming more and more flag football, two-hand touch. We've really lost the essence of what real American football is about. I think it's probably all about money. They're not really concerned about safety."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08290/92 ... inute_now_

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Troy's thoughts on the evolution of football

Postby dirtydave61 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:08 pm

That's so awesome what Troy said.

I wonder how much he'll get fined for it ...

Practice Squad

Postby l33tDad » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:22 pm

BAHAHAHAHA!!!! :suplusone:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:01 pm

dirtydave61 wrote:That's so awesome what Troy said.

I bet he will get fined, too, one way or another. The NFL will find some way to punish Troy for stating that the recent NFL fines are making it a pansy game, but it's true.

They had a segment about Troy's comments regarding Hines' fines on PTI today.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Lake37 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:08 pm

I'm glad to hear someone came out and said what fans have been thinking for the past year or two. And maybe somebody will pay attention to it since it's coming from a guy who is pretty mild mannered and soft spoken (although allowing physical play would be in his advantage). But then again doing this would knock Goddell off his powertrip, so obviously it's very unlikely to happen.

On Sportscenter the little twerp John Clayton just said that he disagrees with what Troy P said and that the league is simply looking out for safety. Not that I would expect more from a guy who probably got cut from his little league team.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:58 pm

more from troy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ao3NjMQ2wYI0WtKk0IIc3ahDubYF?slug=ap-steelers-unhappypolamalu&prov=ap&type=lgns

Two-hand touch? To Polamalu, NFL now flag football
By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Troy Polamalu wishes someone would put the football back into the National Football League.

Polamalu, unhappy with the increasing number of fines for what he says are nefarious infractions that weren’t penalized, is complaining the over-the-top enforcement of contact-related rules is taking away what makes the sport so popular.

“It’s becoming more and more flag football, two-hand touch,” said Polamalu, the Pittsburgh Steelers’ four-time Pro Bowl safety. “We’ve really lost the essence of what real American football is about. They’re not really concerned about safety, because people have been doing this for … quite a few decades.”

The NFL, concerned the ever-increasing size and strength of players may be heightening the risk of serious injuries, is strictly enforcing all contact rules, especially those involving quarterbacks and helmet-to-helmet hits.

In a Sept. 17 letter to players, the NFL emphasized it would monitor “illegal and dangerous hits” in an effort to protect players.

Polamalu believes the restrictive rule enforcement might be making defensive players hesitant because they are worried a routine tackle will result in a major fine.

“You’ve got to figure out how to tackle people a new way. … It’s too much,” he said.

Polamalu also wonders if physical players who once starred in the league, such as Dick Butkus, Jack Lambert, Mean Joe Greene, Ronnie Lott and Jack Tatum, could play in the NFL today.

“These guys really went after people,” said Polamalu, who has not been fined this season but has been in the past. “They were that way because the game was physical. Now, they couldn’t survive in this type of game. They wouldn’t have enough money. They’d be paying fines all the time, and then they’d be suspended for the year after they do it two games in a row. It’s kind of ridiculous.”

Polamalu said the only people who welcome all the fines are “quarterbacks and the front office.” However, the NFL does not profit from the fines, which are donated to charity.

Among recent fines, Cardinals strong safety Adrian Wilson was fined $25,000 for a hit that left Buffalo quarterback Trent Edwards with a concussion, and Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers was fined $10,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan.

Jets safety Eric Smith was suspended for one game and fined $50,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Cardinals wide receiver Anquan Boldin that the league called a flagrant violation of player safety rules.

Polamalu isn’t defending those hits, but rather the routine plays that are drawing fines even if there are no penalties or apparent rules violations.

The Steelers believe the $15,000 fines levied against wide receiver Hines Ward for non-penalized infractions on successive weeks were unwarranted, and team chairman Dan Rooney and coach Mike Tomlin contacted the league about them this week.

Polamalu is normally one of the NFL’s most intense players on the field and softest-spoken off it, but he sounded like outspoken former teammate Joey Porter, now of the Dolphins, or Lambert when he questioned the NFL’s intent.

Lambert, the Hall of Fame linebacker from the 1970s and 1980s, once said the NFL should put skirts on quarterbacks so defensive players would know not to tackle them.

“It’s just the essence of what NFL football is,” Polamalu said. “You don’t want to get into a sport that loses the core mentality. It’s like playing basketball and, `Oh, you can’t body somebody up. You can’t touch them. You can only play defense from a foot out.’ It takes away from the real athleticism of the sport. … football loses its identity.”

Polamalu also doesn’t defend players who take cheap shots.

“I didn’t mean being cheap, but (those who) don’t take anything from anybody,” Polamalu said. “Know what I mean? Joe Greene wouldn’t take anything from anybody. Joey Porter wouldn’t. When people came to our field, they knew this was our home field. Nobody was going to mess with us. … That’s the type of attitude I think is really awesome.”

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:24 am

Woodson and Dukes loved Troy's remarks last night on NFL network. Some broad that reads headlines Lindsey Soto said league should take notice when soft-spoken Troy says that...she of all people said "Troy speaks softly but carries a big stick." The NFL needs to lay off the fines...McLovin is all about the hittin' like Troy says the Butkus', the Lotts', the Tatums, throw in the Lamberts would not be able to play in todays NFL.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:32 pm

I'd rather not see Troy question this or talk about the evolution of the NFL game.

He's not experienced enough to deserve that, IMO, and should just play and work to follow the rules.

Bad stuff usually happens when a player starts yapping.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby indysteel » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:28 am

The problem is that Troy IS RIGHT.

It HAS become more of a pansy game.

As Vince Lombardi said..."football is not a contact sport, it's a collision sport."

Something about running around with blood running out, mud all over, sweat dripping, and snot pouring out of my nose that attracts me this game. If the NFL takes that away, I simply don't have much need for it.

Here you go...what pumps you up more.....a cute little dump off pass that scores a TD......or a thundering hit that you can hear from the stands that knocks the other player senseless...he wanders over to the side line for some 'salt......

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:41 am

"Troy speaks softly but carries a big stick."

Image :lol:

Return to Stillers Talk