Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Woodley on NFL Network's Total Access "Top Performances"

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Woodley on NFL Network's Total Access "Top Performances"

Postby Steel_Buckeye » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:41 am

Today on the NFL Network, on their "Total Access" show, Rich Eisen, Rod Woodson, and Jamie Dukes, count down the top ten performances of week 5 in the NFL. This week, L. Woodley was #7 and Jamie Dukes is fawning all over how good of a player LaMarr is when Woodson interjects....."it's the system....". WTF? Woodley is a gamer in my opinion. Does Woodson know something I don't, I mean, he played in "the system", and it did produce small success for the likes of Joey Porter, Jason Gildong, and Chad Brown, ect. ect. ect? What do you guys think?

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/showscont ... otalaccess
I_STEEL_BELIEVE

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Woodley on NFL Network's Total Access "Top Performances"

Postby jstallworth82 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:19 pm

It probably is both. The system that Pgh utilizes enables the LBs more responsibilities and more freedom to accomplish their jobs. The 3 - 4 gives you an extra LB but 1 less DL. So in this system you have 2 ILBs insted of 1. So that gives you a ton more options in stopping the run and in pass coverage. So you need more intellegent LBs inside and that is why most rookies need more time to learn the calls and how to position themselves but when they do it gives them a lot more opportunity as a unit to become a dominate force. Where in a 4 - 3 superior athletes are able to get into the spotlight by using for the most part their physical ability either speed or strength, whereas in this system where a superior athlete can also excel so can a good athlete that has a good knowledge of the schemes that they are facing and being able to spot a weakness and exploit them. in a 4-3 LBs exploit a weak player where in a 3-4 system you attack the weakness in the scheme..... every scheme has a weakness. Having a good NG is a big help and we have 2. You need to hav strong Corners we have Ike talented fast but still learning. He will be great next year. McFadden is getting bettter every time he gets the opportunity so theyshould be alright.

Practice Squad

Postby STillCharlie » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:23 pm

with the exception of vrabel, how many steelers linebackers have been successful outside the burgh? I think the answer to that question would give a lot of perspective to what woodson was saying

Seasoned Veteran

Postby GCCSteel » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:30 pm

Plenty of Stillers LBs were successful out of the Burgh. Earl Holmes and Levon Kirkland left late in their careers and still had a few starting seasons in them. Joey Porter is doing fine with the fins. Chad Brown was a perennial all-pro with the Seahags. Kevin Greene was good before and after. Greg Lloyd had one good year with Carolina I believe. Not many Steelers linebackers are let go in their prime, and even in their later years they almost always find starting spots. Haggans gets some good PT down in Arizona.

When you see Lamarr or Silverback get a wide open sack then its the scheme. They maybe each have one of those this year. The rest have been bull rushing or evading tackles to work for the sack. That will work anywhere, not just in our scheme. Was it the scheme two years ago when we did terrible on sacks with JP and Haggans?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:02 pm

STillCharlie wrote:with the exception of vrabel, how many steelers linebackers have been successful outside the burgh?

I think Haggans is doing at least as well for the Cards as he did here, but that's just MHO.
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Return to Stillers Talk