Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Ward fined for hit in Ravens game

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Ward fined for hit in Ravens game

Postby Lake37 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:11 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08283/91 ... eelers.xml

The NFL has been getting pretty fine happy lately. I understand protecting the players mainly quarterbacks, but they are taking it too far and it's going to start affecting the game if they keep it up.

Stillers.com Team

Re: Ward fined for hit in Ravens game

Postby StillMill » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:21 pm

2 things are absurd with this fine:

a. Ward was never flagged in that game

b. that game was AGES ago. Fines should be issued 2-3 days after a game....or not at all. This fine came 8 days after the game.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:10 pm

McLovin likes to consume a few beverages during games and has no recollection of anything Ward did during that game with the exception of totally pissing off Jarrett Johnson in an altercation that Johnson got flagged for. Article said Hines thought it was a hit against Ivey but you're right shouldn't be a fine without a flag. Ravens must have sent a tape to the league.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:15 pm

Ward's fine is :suahhbs: . :x

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Crosby4Life » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:23 pm

I don't really agree with the logic that players shouldn't be eligible for a fine if no flag was thrown. The entire point of dealing out these types of fines is to discipline players who put put other players at unncessary risk. We all know that referees don't even come close to seeing everything that happens on the field. So why would it make sense that a flag is a prerequisite for a fine?

I assume the logic supporting that idea is something along of the lines of "Well, if wasn't a penalty during the game, then it didn't happen!"...but that's just flat out wrong.

If you require a flag to be thrown for a player to be fined, you're really only encouraging players to be more discreet in their dirty play. If they know that the league can go back and fine you, regardless of whether or not a ref saw it, then that's a much bigger deterrent.

With regards to Hines' fine...I have no idea. I don't have the game film readily available to sort through.

Practice Squad

Postby SteelTreal » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:34 am

this just in.. hes STILL smiling ...

Seasoned Veteran

Postby 4nic8 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:59 am

Clark was fined also. But at least he knows what play it was for.

Ridiculous.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby dirtydave61 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:51 am

Well, at least the NFL "clarified" its fines against Ward now.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08289/919911-66.stm

These fines are getting absolutely ridiculous in their ticky-tackiness.

Apparently, Hines was fined for a "hit to the head" of a 240lb linebacker (Jaguars Mike Peterson) while blocking on a running play. I don't have the game recorded, but I'd like to see this play again to see how flagrant it was. It seriously couldn't have been that bad, and, as said before, he was not penalized.

In all, the Stillers contributed $45,000 to the NFL from fines from the Jaguars game.

I can understand Harrison getting fined for his comments, and I'm sure he knew what was in store when he said that. I can understand the fine on Clark because it was slightly unnecessary. But the fine on Nate Washington when he was already fined for a "taunt" is a shitty deal, too.

I, for one, hope these fines don't lead to our players playing soft, but if I can speculate about Ward and Harrison, they'll be as nasty as ever.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Crosby4Life » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:31 am

I'd be very interested to see the play as well. When a player realizes he's about to be hit, his natural reaction to is to get low and brace himself...making a hit to the head during a block all but inevitable.

The only explanation I could see is if it was towards the end of a play when the defender relaxed, only to have Hines come over and blindside him directly to the head. Actually, no, I don't think that's a valid reason either.

I understand the rules about hitting exposed WRs and QBs in the head, but not when blocking a defender. Defenders know they're going to get blocked and can shield themselves much easier than a WR reaching for a ball or a QB setting up to throw.

That's BS.

Practice Squad

Postby Lawman » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:58 pm

The NFL should leave the plays left on the field. Not rehash the games and fine them weeks later. Worst case scenario should have no more than 2 days after the game to review.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:03 pm

This garbage has become completely ridiculous.
It's as if the NFL has become some local-yokel law enforcement that stepped over the line and is making shit up to use fines for revenue generation.
(sound familiar, Lawman? ;) )

Sunday Ticket subscriptions must be way down this year... :roll:
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Return to Stillers Talk