Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Times are changing

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Times are changing

Postby BigE » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:21 pm

What's up Stiller fans? I was watching NFL Live today and Trent Dulfer made a statement i'd like to comment about. He said at some point the Stillers have to get back to the physical, pounding running team that they have been in the past. My question to this is why? Why can't we as Stiller fans and the national media come to the realization that the Stillers are no longer a run orientated team. They have an elite quarterback who needs to be cut loose and let if fly. I'm not saying to abandon the run by any means, but the Stillers need to throw the ball 25-35 times per game, not 15-20. Pass to set up the run, just like Sunday night.

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Times are changing

Postby Stillustronic » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:37 pm

Because a lot of people don't view Ben as a good quarterback when they just look at the box scores and see a small number of attempts. If they watched what's more important, like 3rd down completion %, how many third and longs he converts, what actually gets scores, and how leads are established, then the talking heads would actually learn something. Then they'd might make more sense. They're reading from the old Cowher storyline that's just way to old and tired.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Steel_Buckeye » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:35 pm

I didn't get to watch the second half (had to get to work, third shift!), but wasn't the first play of the game a 18yard run? Didn't need a pass to set that one up, and it seemed like we were running fine whenever we wanted to in the first half. Not trying to oppose either of you, but why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't we have a great running game and a elite passing offense?? I think we can with this team. Good run blocking O-line, above average running back (Parker), great group of recievers, and a top shelf QB! Lets do it all!
I_STEEL_BELIEVE

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Stillustronic » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:22 pm

I think we actually game planned for the Jagz, because they really suck in the passing game on both sides of the ball. You stop their rush you stop their offense.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:10 pm

McLovin not on board completely here or maybe he is its been a long day. To McLovin, the Steelers of late have been labeled a running team. But seems to McLovin that they get the lead whether by run or by pass and then use the run to protect the lead like any good team should. That's why in easy victories like against Houston Ben can pass his way to the lead throwing well under 20 times and then run to shorten the game and keep defense off the field.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:49 pm

Why? Because our O-line doesn't pass protect well enough to allow our Star QB to throw the ball alot with out taking huge hits which are sometimes contributed to by his tendancy to hold the ball to long while trying to make a play.

Running the ball, and physical play can help solve that.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby jstallworth82 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:30 pm

thesteelhammer wrote:Why? Because our O-line doesn't pass protect well enough to allow our Star QB to throw the ball alot with out taking huge hits which are sometimes contributed to by his tendancy to hold the ball to long while trying to make a play.

Running the ball, and physical play can help solve that.

Also bring back the quick slants and some screens to keep D from pinning the ears back and coming full throttle. Also need the receivers to start looking back more. In the Philly game too often they were on 4 second routes and never looked back to see what was going on. Had 2 passes hit receivers in the back or legs because they were not looking back.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Crosby4Life » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:52 pm

In my opinion, I do think it's important to stay in touch with our running side. I'm perfectly fine with using the passing game whenever it's working for you, but I think there's a huge X-Factor that prevents Pittsburgh from ever making the full transition to a "passing team". And that's the weather in Pittsburgh once you get into the playoffs. I don't care if a Pittsburgh team goes 16-0 in the regular season by throwing every down. When you start playing games in a snowstorm, on that shoddy-ass turf, you're going to hit a point where you have to be able to run the ball against a good team in bad conditions.

So, I think it's important to field a team that's capable of both. A good passing O can net us a bunch of wins in the regular season, but we'll have trouble in the playoffs if we don't retain the ability to punch someone in the mouth.

Return to Stillers Talk