Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Florio might actually be onto something...

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Florio might actually be onto something...

Postby Steeledge » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:12 pm

Instead of just "on something", like usual...
Article...scroll down

7. Steelers Keep Finding Ways To Win.

Faced with the toughest 2008 schedule of any team, the Pittsburgh Steelers haven’t flinched.

But they haven’t been dominant, either.

Instead, they have consistently found ways to win. After blowing out the Texans to open the season, the Steelers are fortunate to be where they are at 4-1. That 2-1 record after Week 3 easily could have become (and arguably should be) 2-3, not 4-1.

But even with injuries mounting and a depth chart stretched tighter than the seat of Casey Hampton’s game pants ( 8-) ), the Steelers continue to rebound.

A big part of the equation has been quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, whose halftime speech against the Ravens pumped just enough life into the offense to deliver a win His Eli-style escapes from pressure against Jacksonville fueled another late come-from-behind effort.

As a result, the Steelers enter the bye week with four victories in the trunk, and four games left against their foes in a watered-down AFC North. Though some stiff challenges remain, the Steelers seem poised to get enough wins to extend their ownership of the division.

And there might not be a more dangerous team once January comes around, given that the Steelers’ playoff games are not likely to be much tougher than their regular-season schedule.
...Especially likin' that last part, and I think he's spot-on! :surockin:

...Oh, and a small aside about Cowher...
10. The Lions Are Really, Really, Really Bad.

If the goal in firing Matt Millen was to shake up the Lions, it didn’t work. Even after a week off, the Lions couldn’t score a point in the first half, and they completely fell apart at home against the Bears.

Frankly, a flameout would serve the franchise’s best interests well. If the Lions somehow become competitive this year, the Ford family might be inclined to keep coach Rod Marinelli, G.M. Martin Mayhew and COO Tom Lewand beyond this season. The better outcome would be to blow the whole the thing up and hire one person—a coach or a G.M.—to have full authority to rebuild the franchise.

Three years ago, the Fords saw Bill Cowher win a Super Bowl in their home stadium. Though Cowher still might not be ready to return to the game, the Fords would be wise to fill an F-150 full of money and drive it to North Carolina.

interesting... :suspense:
does anybody here think Cowher could single-handedly steer the Lions' dinghy back on course? :roll:
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Greenhorned Rookie

Re: Florio might actually be onto something...

Postby Steelers4Tim » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:33 pm

Steeledge wrote:Three years ago, the Fords saw Bill Cowher win a Super Bowl in their home stadium. Though Cowher still might not be ready to return to the game, the Fords would be wise to fill an F-150 full of money and drive it to North Carolina.

interesting... :suspense:
does anybody here think Cowher could single-handedly steer the Lions' dinghy back on course? :roll:[/quote]

Yes, without question. He can turn them into an NFC powerhouse with junior high playcalling, too, all because he understands the four basics of winning in the NFL:

1) Get big, bruising running backs on your roster who can wear down defenses and punish them in the fourth quarter.
2) Get cap-friendly, game-managing QB's on your roster who limit turnovers.
3) Load up on bruising, run-blocking offensive lineman who fire off the ball and attack defenders.
4) Fly around the football on defense and play with intensity for sixty minutes.

You see, much is often made of these high-tech passing offenses that have came through the league over the years.....the run-and-shoot, the west coast, the fun-n-gun, the spread, the two-minute, the K-gun, the chuck-and-duck, whatever. However, none of those piece-of-shit offenses can ever take the place of good ol' blocking and tackling. Never has, never will.

Am I right? Well, how many Super Bowl rings do Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, Jim Kelly, Warren Moon, Peyton Manning, and Brett Favre have?

......the same number as Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer.
"If you lead a good life, say your prayers and go to church, when you die you might go to Pittsburgh".
-Steelers folklore

Seasoned Veteran

Postby GCCSteel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:52 pm

Last 15 Superbowl winning QBs

Year - QB Name
2007 - Eli Manning - Good ground game, but hes not really a manager
2006 - Peyton Manning - Nope
2005 - Ben Roethlisberger - Nope
2004 - Tom Brady - Nope
2003 - Brad Johnson - You win here
2002 - Tom Brady - Nope
2001 - Trent Dilfer - You win here
2000 - Kurt Warner - Pass oriented
1999 - John Elway - Nope
1998 - John Elway - Nope
1997 - Brett Favre - Lose
1996 - Troy Aikman - Not a game manager
1995 - Steve Young - West Coast
1994 - Troy Aikman - Nope
1993 - Troy Aikman - Lose

13 to 2 ... Fail

Practice Squad

Postby Scarletfire1970 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:44 pm

"Eli style escapes?" What the fuck is that? Eli does it once in the SB, Ben's been doing it this way his whole fuckin career. I'd say Eli pulled a Ben style escape, not the other way around.

Practice Squad

Postby titsmcgee21 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:03 pm

i agree..."eli-style" escapes? WTF? eli was backin up kurt warner when ben was escaping sacks as a rookie

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Nittany Steel37 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:41 pm

I was gonna put up an enraged post about "Eli-Style escapes" but it's already been taken care of. Thanks guys.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Steel_Buckeye » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:28 am

Scarletfire1970 wrote:"Eli style escapes?" What the fuck is that? Eli does it once in the SB, Ben's been doing it this way his whole fuckin career. I'd say Eli pulled a Ben style escape, not the other way around.

:suplusone:
I_STEEL_BELIEVE

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:32 am

"does anybody here think Cowher could single-handedly steer the Lions' dinghy back on"

I think that anyone who goes to coach the Lions is a fool. Those owners clearly have no desire to win, and maybe even the opposite. When he finally realized it that's what made Barry Sanders quit.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:53 pm

Scarletfire1970 wrote:"Eli style escapes?" What the fuck is that? Eli does it once in the SB, Ben's been doing it this way his whole fuckin career. I'd say Eli pulled a Ben style escape, not the other way around.

I was a little affronted by that shite too when I first read it, but it only demonstrates two things about NFL media hacks:

1> Eli is the flavor of the month, cream-of-the-media's-jeans right now, and those guys are more into "what's hot and now" than the Queer Eye "ladies"
2> They really don't pay attention to what goes on around the league, just what happens from their "slant"

Just demonstrates that very few if any of them have any credibility at all...
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Return to Stillers Talk