Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » I know it's way early, but...

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

I know it's way early, but...

Postby Steeledge » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:15 am

I sincerely think the Steelers should pick nothing but OL and DL in the draft this spring,

...the first one being at 1-32, of course ;) :yes:

Seriously, I mean the Steelers' ENTIRE draft should go to both lines, because we're so deep and so strong everywhere else...

That said, anybody got their eye on any prospects?

I for one am gaga over that Cadogan kid out of Penn State - 6'5" 314 LT who was also a BB stud and captain of the swim and dive team (!) in HS.

Big and nimble as hell.

Any thoughts?
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Grizzled Veteran

Re: I know it's way early, but...

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:27 am

I dont. Skill players make the league go round. Look at the pats line, not one high draft pick, nor one from the Giants. Ben is our Qb and he will want skill players and I agree with him. Lineman are a dime a dozen. Like all the greats not many were drafted high, theres a reason for that. Get rid of the ball quick and your line is not an issue. Simple

Seasoned Veteran

Postby steelwest » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:53 am

I agree generally. The only issue is what positions will we lose in the offseason that may require a boost there. As for skill positions, assuming Mendenhall and Sweed are productive next year like they are supposed to be, I think we have those covered. Other than O-Line, I think the area where we may need additional help will be the secondary. You have the always hurt Polamalu, Clark (who is still iffy healthwise after the spleen), the aging Townsend, and whatever happens with McFadden (meaning if we pay the money to resign him).

Of course, the emphasis on O-Line and D-Line in the draft should occur only if we can pick someone GOOD. THe late guard pick at the end of the first round tends to produce good value. We do not need another reach at tackle, i.e. Jamain Stephens.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:32 am

steelwest wrote:The only issue is what positions will we lose in the offseason that may require a boost there.
That's the point - much of what is lost will likely be from aging (DL) and already struggling (OL) lines.
steelwest wrote:As for skill positions, assuming Mendenhall and Sweed are productive next year like they are supposed to be, I think we have those covered.
...and let's not overlook Moore, who had a great game last night, and Baker, who still could prove to be big-time. Nate-Nate will probably go in FA (all the best to him), but again I think we're covered.
steelwest wrote:Other than O-Line, I think the area where we may need additional help will be the secondary. You have the always hurt Polamalu, Clark (who is still iffy healthwise after the spleen), the aging Townsend, and whatever happens with McFadden (meaning if we pay the money to resign him).
Maybe...
But don't forget about Carter, Smith (I do worry about him, but he's still maturing), and Gay (especially this guy - still raw, but a great backup and hits like a truck)
steelwest wrote:Of course, the emphasis on O-Line and D-Line in the draft should occur only if we can pick someone GOOD.
Agreed, but as both lines are our biggest areas of need and have been OVERLOOKED FOR YEARS, even moderately developmental talent becomes an urgent need.
It might take a year or two to bring them up to speed, and we'll really be hurting by that time if we let the neglect continue.
steelwest wrote:We do not need another reach at tackle, i.e. Jamain Stephens.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and I submit that EVERY draft pick is an odds game.

S-ca[n't get]-laid, your post isn't worth addressing, let alone even barely noticing.
Your vacuous claims of "football knowledge" and repeated demonstration of football stupidity continue to astound... :roll:

look up the big words if you need help...

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:03 pm

It really is early....and it's WAAAY too early to judge what we got in last year's draft.

At this time in his rookie year, Polamalu was a wasted pick in the eyes of most posters. At this time last year, Woodley and Timmons were busts. Guys on the practice squad were unknown quantities to us, but the coaching staff was watching them develop. This is especially important when we consider last year's 3 and 4 picks...a pass-rushing linebacker and an offensive lineman. How these guys develop during this year's practices -- and if they have to step up in case of injuries -- will help determine what our needs will be.

We know one thing: this team is getting old on the defensive line. We'll need a strong replacement there. And God knows we need a couple of studs on the OL.

We'll get a nice bonus pick for losing Faneca, putting us in a position to bundle some choices in order to trade up. Trading up, you know, can get you a Polamalu. Maybe it can also get us a terrific left tackle or something.

This team has an embarrassment of riches at the skill positions. We need help - and youth - in the trenches. But that's certainly no reason to draft the 2009 model of Jermaine Stephens. You always go for quality, and try to avoid reaching.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:45 pm

Homer J wrote:It really is early....and it's WAAAY too early to judge what we got in last year's draft.

At this time in his rookie year, Polamalu was a wasted pick in the eyes of most posters. At this time last year, Woodley and Timmons were busts. Guys on the practice squad were unknown quantities to us, but the coaching staff was watching them develop. This is especially important when we consider last year's 3 and 4 picks...a pass-rushing linebacker and an offensive lineman. How these guys develop during this year's practices -- and if they have to step up in case of injuries -- will help determine what our needs will be.

We know one thing: this team is getting old on the defensive line. We'll need a strong replacement there. And God knows we need a couple of studs on the OL.

We'll get a nice bonus pick for losing Faneca, putting us in a position to bundle some choices in order to trade up. Trading up, you know, can get you a Polamalu. Maybe it can also get us a terrific left tackle or something.

This team has an embarrassment of riches at the skill positions. We need help - and youth - in the trenches. But that's certainly no reason to draft the 2009 model of Jermaine Stephens. You always go for quality, and try to avoid reaching.
I completely agree with what you say here, and I was never in the camp that's so quick to bad-mouth even early-round draft picks without first giving them a few seasons to prove
(or disprove) their worth.

...but I still don't think the whole conversation about "Jermaine" is "germane"...

You do your homework the best you can, scout the prospects, watch closely how they've performed and in what types of circumstances, and go over all the measurables with a fine-toothed comb, but in the end, any draft pick is a crap shoot.
There's really no way of knowing that a pick is a boon or a bust until after the first few seasons. And past "crap-outs" shouldn't make us afraid to roll the dice toward the lines again.

That said, we're experiencing a glut of skill players while on the cusp of desperate NOW for help on BOTH lines. If draft picks are given a few seasons to develop until they're expected to contribute, imagine how truly desperate we'll be at that point, especially if the current trend of neglect continues.

There's really no reason for us to hesitate on taking the best value with each of our picks, with an emphasis on players for the OL and DL, as long as we've properly and fully done our homework.
Now, if we could only somehow clue Colbert in...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:24 pm

Steeledge is a hater, he notices ME more than I notice him believe that? Who pays attention to any of his posts? Lets see which way the Steeler brass go, my suggestion or his. :celebrate:
Ps; Your not a steeledge your a nerf sword =SOFT

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:45 pm

McLovin thinks its WAY early for this discussion. This is material for the long, boring offseason. BUT McLovin sees the OL and DL as HUGE priorities due to age and in some cases a lack of talent. How Colbert chooses to fill these needs will make for huge debate. I personally agree that both OL and DL can be had later in the draft such as Aaron Smith, Keisel, Colon, and Kemo. However, the problem with that is these players take longer to develop. First rounders no sure thing but they are expected to play right away as was the case with Hampton, Simmons, and even Marvel Smith. McLovin is a best player available believer so here's hoping Colbert doesn't bypass talent to reach for need. He tried that this year with Mendenhall after all OT's gone. Hard to judge the move with Mendy out for the year...thats bad luck not bad drafting.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:54 pm

[quote="Steeledge...but I still don't think the whole conversation about "Jermaine" is "germane"...

You do your homework the best you can, scout the prospects, watch closely how they've performed and in what types of circumstances, and go over all the measurables with a fine-toothed comb, but in the end, any draft pick is a crap shoot.
There's really no way of knowing that a pick is a boon or a bust until after the first few seasons. And past "crap-outs" shouldn't make us afraid to roll the dice toward the lines again.

That said, we're experiencing a glut of skill players while on the cusp of desperate NOW for help on BOTH lines. If draft picks are given a few seasons to develop until they're expected to contribute, imagine how truly desperate we'll be at that point, especially if the current trend of neglect continues. quote]

Excellent point. But the dilemma here is what do you do if you need a solid left tackle, there are four of them on the board, and they're all gone when you draft 32nd??? Especially if there's a terrific strong safety available, for instance? And especially if two other marginal left tackles have also been drafted?? Do you draft the seventh best left tackle, or do you take the strong safety?? That's the real crap shoot. That's what I meant about Jermaine Stephens. You don't draft a guy in the first round to fill a position if he's a real reach.

That's why I brought up the extra draft choice and the prospect of bundling a couple to trade up. Now that this team has filled the gaping holes in special teams and is strong in the skill positions, they find themselves in the very enviable position of trading away a draft choice or two for the right to move up and pick what they need earlier in the first and second rounds.

Some teams need quantity. The Steelers need just a few really good men.

Agreed?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:21 pm

Homer J wrote:That's why I brought up the extra draft choice and the prospect of bundling a couple to trade up. Now that this team has filled the gaping holes in special teams and is strong in the skill positions, they find themselves in the very enviable position of trading away a draft choice or two for the right to move up and pick what they need earlier in the first and second rounds.

Some teams need quantity. The Steelers need just a few really good men.

Agreed?

Agreed, Absolutely!
And here's hoping Colbert and Co. get a clue, realize how pretty they're sitting come springtime, and make the right choices, with an emphasis on both lines. :cheers: :surockin:

...although, I won't hold my breath...

Return to Stillers Talk