Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » New Article: Stillers-Jags Postgame Analysis and Grades

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

New Article: Stillers-Jags Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby StillMill » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:00 am

http://www.stillers.com/articles/2297.aspx has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Practice Squad

Re: New Article: Stillers-Jags Postgame Analysis and Grades

Postby dlbldlab » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:44 am

Once again good review but still to hard on Lebeau.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Nashsteeler » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:25 am

Thanks for the write up.

what's with all the "ankle nipping" 8-) I don't think I've ever seen this phrase in your posts.

I nearly flew threw the roof on the roughing call on Harrison. Good god, that was awful.

Hope the bye week allows Ben's shoulder to heal completely. Kid is tough as nails, and as steely eyed as a cold blooded killer. He'll get you.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Hoppy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:55 am

Right on Still Mill....I thought the draw play late for 20+ yards was a killer.
Did you love the announcers mentioning the league's letter to the Steelers admitting the non holding call in the playoff loss. Incredible!

Were the refs from Florida or better yet Jacksonville's Metro area. Did they take a bus to the game.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby stillgrill » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:18 am

Great analysis Mill. Glad you fingered Clark on the consecutive plays - stupid hit, then playing centerfield in the first row of the endzone. You see the TE play developing, you moron.

Once again Harry & Wood making up for the feebleness of Farri & Larry. Glad to see Hoke making stops & pushing the pocket - Han Solo should just keep wearing that 7XL sleeveless shirt, ala Duce Staley, & stay off the field. It was nice to see the D stick it to Fragile Fred & MoJo Dwarf.

Gawd I hope they implement Moore after Willie comes back. This was a gut-check win, & 2 wks in a row he has come up w/ big plays late.

I never saw a game w/ so many PF's/UC penalties. Hope Tomlin addresses some of the postplay BS (Nate). McFadden got a little mouthy too.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:29 am

stillgrill wrote:I never saw a game w/ so many PF's/UC penalties. Hope Tomlin addresses some of the postplay BS (Nate). McFadden got a little mouthy too.

The refs had a hyper hard-on for ticky-tack shit last night. Both teams were damaged by it, but I think the Steelers got hit harder, especially late in the game.

I'm not so sure Tomlin will or should address anything, especially if he wants to keep this D on fire like it was after that ridiculous roughing call...
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:45 pm

Another solid review, Mill.

I agree that Arians actually designed a decent offensive game plan for once, using the Army he had to work with.

Again, I think you're being a little too tough on LeBeau.

But your analysis of the players and Tomlin was spot on.

And that roughing penalty on Harrison was total bullshit. What he was doing was playing football the way the game is to be played. Had he wanted to rough Garrard, he could have broken him in two by slamming his ass to the ground. He didn't.

You'd think they'd dress up that QB in a dress if they want to protect him that way. :supissed: :supissed: :supissed: :supissed: :supissed:

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby zapunto » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:07 pm

There was one particular play that we executed that made me feel as if Arians had actually eaten his Wheaties this week. It was a quick pop to Santanio Holmes out of what looked to be a four wide receiver set, tripe to one side, and Santanio flanked out alone. Also, another great play call was the 2nd down call right before the 2-minute warning in the fourth quarter. Jacksonville had taken a timeout at 2:02, so instead of running the ball, why not throw anyway? A run or an incomplete pass meant the same thing.

If Bill Cowher were the coach of the Steelers, we would have lost this game, 24-23.

-c-

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:36 pm

great articles at this site. :sudancin:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:03 pm

zapunto wrote:There was one particular play that we executed that made me feel as if Arians had actually eaten his Wheaties this week. It was a quick pop to Santanio Holmes out of what looked to be a four wide receiver set, tripe to one side, and Santanio flanked out alone. Also, another great play call was the 2nd down call right before the 2-minute warning in the fourth quarter. Jacksonville had taken a timeout at 2:02, so instead of running the ball, why not throw anyway? A run or an incomplete pass meant the same thing -c-

BINGO! For those of us listening to the inane blather of Mr. Ace is the Place on the TV feed, "Fat King Madden I" said just seconds before the play that it would definitely be a run. I instinctively hollered, "no way," because there is no such thing as a real pass play that only takes one second. Even if you're trying to run out the clock, you risk nothing - time wise - calling a pass play with 2:03 to 2:01 remainiing in the game. This point, however, seemed lost on Fat King Madden I.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:43 pm

Keep up the good work Mill...enjoy your right-ups even though I too think you're a little too harsh on LeBeau...defense is solid with some minor errors that you pointed out. Bottom line in this contest is that something is missing in Jags offense...don't know if its their Oline injuries or lack of WR talent but they weren't the same physical running team that beat us up last year and LeBeau's crew played a solid game without all their starters.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Nittany Steel37 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:23 pm

Everybody--.and not just Steelers fans--agrees that Harrison's roughing penalty was crap. But let me put my two cents in anyways. When the quarterback's throw is affected by the hit like it was on that play, you can't call roughing. It was not a late hit by any means. Such a load of crap. I only got to watch late 3Q and 4Q because my DVR decided it didn't want to record the game, but the refs were constantly trying to screw us over. I didn't agree with the late hit call on Clark either. Fat F*** Madden was wrong on both hits neither were helmet-to-helmet, and Matt Jones had time to bring his head up and see Clark coming. Granted he probably couldn't have avoided it, but I guess I just want to stand against the pussification of football.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Steel_Buckeye » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:18 am

StillMill, is this your write-up? This doesn't entirely seem like your writing? Where is all the colorfull sarcasim? Especially with the poor play of our two whipping boys, Farrior and Foote(which I agree with you on their play.) ! I normaly love your opinionated stances, but this seemed a little dry. It all was factually correct at least. Thanks for putting in the time for the breakdown, I appreciate it.
I_STEEL_BELIEVE

Practice Squad

Postby fabber » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:03 pm

Hopefully Tomlin and Harrison are reading this board (ha Ha). I just want to tell Mike T. to tell Harrison to keep the pressure on and don't worry about the calls. JH was correct. The ref had money on the game.

Stillers.com Team

Postby StillMill » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:14 pm

Nash wrote:Thanks for the write up.

what's with all the "ankle nipping" 8-) I don't think I've ever seen this phrase in your posts.
Good question. Doctrine, terminology, and lexicon change with the times. 30 years ago, no one ever "faxed" or "emailed" a document. 10 years ago, no one "googled" something. In this particular game, there were several ankle-nip stops, and the terminology seemed to fit. :geek: Whether or not it remains in my lexicon remains to be seen.....I actually hadn't given it much thought.

Steel_Buckeye wrote:StillMill, is this your write-up? This doesn't entirely seem like your writing? Where is all the colorfull sarcasim? Especially with the poor play of our two whipping boys, Farrior and Foote(which I agree with you on their play.) ! I normaly love your opinionated stances, but this seemed a little dry. It all was factually correct at least. Thanks for putting in the time for the breakdown, I appreciate it.
Very valid point. Yes, it was my report. Nite games are most difficult on my end. These games don't end until nearly midnite.....which forces me to use brevity to the maximum extent possible. I'll certainly keep your point in mind......and will try to (ankle) nip it in the bud. :lol:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby rick723 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:13 pm

zapunto wrote:There was one particular play that we executed that made me feel as if Arians had actually eaten his Wheaties this week. It was a quick pop to Santanio Holmes out of what looked to be a four wide receiver set, tripe to one side, and Santanio flanked out alone. Also, another great play call was the 2nd down call right before the 2-minute warning in the fourth quarter. Jacksonville had taken a timeout at 2:02, so instead of running the ball, why not throw anyway? A run or an incomplete pass meant the same thing.

If Bill Cowher were the coach of the Steelers, we would have lost this game, 24-23.

-c-

NO, we would have lost 21-20. He would still be on our side of the 50. running Najeh

Return to Stillers Talk