Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » How many Pass Attempts Did Ben have Winning again?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Re: How many Pass Attempts Did Ben have Winning again?

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:00 pm

Ben does NOTHING better than Marino sir. Marino is arguably the best qb ever, he just had the badfortune to be on a horrible team and he STILL SHINED. Like I said Ben has had the good fortune of being on a good team, much like Emitt Smith. Put Emmitt on Tampa Bay and he wouldt be a hall of famer. Walter Payton did it on a bad team as well. It would be interesting to see how Ben would fair on a team with no weapons. Not saying hes a bum but you gotta admit he did come into an IDEAL situation, just like his coach. Like Dungy getting fired from the Bucs and then having the Colts job dropped in his lap. GOOD FORTUNE. Too bad everyone cant be a realist like me. Thanks for the post McLOVINMEN

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:13 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:Ben does NOTHING better than Marino sir.

Show McLovin where he said Ben was "better" than Marino. I made a general comparison to leadership. Go attack somebody else with your Anti-Ben drivel.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:30 pm

"Ben but he is even cooler than Marino in that regard."

Isnt that what you said sir? Again, BEN DOES NOTHING BETTER THAN MARINO. Not attacking you or Ben just TELLING THE TRUTH. So relax McLovinmen

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:33 pm

[quote="Scalaid6"]"Ben but he is even cooler than Marino in that regard."

Isnt that what you said sir? Again, BEN DOES NOTHING BETTER THAN MARINO. Not attacking you or Ben just TELLING THE TRUTH. So relax McLovinmen[/quote

Ok dude go tell the truth to the assatar you snapped a photo of while trolling around Century III mall.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby ILLSTILL » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:36 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:"Ben but he is even cooler than Marino in that regard."

Isnt that what you said sir? Again, BEN DOES NOTHING BETTER THAN MARINO. Not attacking you or Ben just TELLING THE TRUTH. So relax McLovinmen

I disagree...I don't think Marino would have been able to deal with this bad of a o line.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:13 pm

I disagree, Marino has the quickest release in the history of the game. Lastly, its not the Line its Ben holding onto the ball too long (for the most part). Notice there hasnt been that many sacks lately? Because hes hot routing and getting rid of the ball quickly, thats the key.

Practice Squad

Postby marasco0815 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:33 am

I can think of two things Ben does better than Marino...
1. Marino could never shrug off a 300lb lineman, keep his vision downfield and make that huge play like ben has time and time again. And please don't tell me cause ben hlds the ball too long. That's true...sometimes. But that also has resulted in some huge plays. That's ben- it's part of his game and what makes him great.
2. Ben has a super bowl ring...how many does marino have? He must have done something better than marino. :subngtowl:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:41 pm

Of Course Ben can shrug of big tackles SOME OF THE TIME but NOT MOST OF THE TIME. Be honest, that technique works 2 out of 10 times. And yes Dan Marino DID do that. I dont know if you are familar with his career but yes sir he did that ALL THE TIME. He also played behind a BAD O-Line and NO RUNNING GAME. John Elway (Bens idol-hence the #7) also did this ALL THE TIME.

2. Ben didnt win a Super Bowl the STEELERS did. Now your changing an individual comparrison into a team one and TEAMS are not the issue. NO NFL purist will take Ben in ANY regard over Marino, nor will I. I recall when Marino was going to retire. The Steelers were trying to acquire him and I was GIDDY with anticipation of having that gunslinger in the black and gold, when he declined, it was a sad day. Do you care to compare Bens 1st 5 years vs Dans? I DONT THINK YOU WANT TO DO THAT SIR. Keep in mind Dan had ZERO running game. He had mediocre wrs. He had a HORRIBLE line (except Dwight Stephenson). Ben has had the good fortune to be surrounded with a good team, with a good running game, good coaching and great organization. If Dan had of been drafted By the Steelers we would have 10 super bowl under our belt.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby 4nic8 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:31 pm

So.Cal.Aids-

I appreciate your undying devotion to this board and your attempts to undermine the best QB the Steelers have had in 3 decades.

But seriously...

You are dumbing down what used to be a great Board and one that will be great again as soon as they manage posters such as yourself.

Get a grip, make your posts easier to read, and quicker to the point.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:57 pm

You have the option of not reading my posts sir. Was that an attempt to blow the whistle on me? If I'm dumbing down the board then kindly present your case on how Ben is better than Marino. Sorry, sir I tell the truth. If you ask me is Ben is better than Elway,Montana,Young,Bradshaw,Marino,Brees,Eli,Brady,Peyton,Rivers,Romo- I'll say no. If you ask me is Wille better than Lt,A.D,Payton,O.J,Dorsett,Barry,LJ,Barber- I'll say no. If you ask me is Tomlin a better coach than, Bellichick,Parcells,Gibbs,Noll,Walsh,Landry,Shanahan,Reeves,Gruden,Dungy,Holmgren-I'll say no. You see just because guys are on MY team doesnt mean, I HAVE to say they are the best. But thats just me. In regards to my writing style- I like it and thats all that matters to me sir.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby 4nic8 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:32 pm

It was just a suggestion...

If I had any authority on the subject you would have been gone about 300 posts ago...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:08 pm

4nic8 wrote:It was just a suggestion...

If I had any authority on the subject you would have been gone about 300 posts ago...

Of course I would be. Whats the old addage? If you cant outdebate em, eliminate em! You have been here since May and you hardly contribute to the site. I on the other hand am a contributor, I add activity to the site. While some of these same guys are on other steelers sites BASHING this site, I am here in an effort to make it prosper sir.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby 4nic8 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:28 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:
4nic8 wrote:It was just a suggestion...

Of course I would be. Whats the old addage? If you cant outdebate em, eliminate em! You have been here since May and you hardly contribute to the site. I on the other hand am a contributor, I add activity to the site. While some of these same guys are on other steelers sites BASHING this site, I am here in an effort to make it prosper sir.

You could've fooled me...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:37 pm

That wouldnt be hard sir as I have proven. If you need clarification, I will be glad to provide. I promote dialogue sir. You may deem it as negative. I deem it as opinonated. Similar to Howard Cossell and other unpopular opinionated personalities. You may not like him but you tuned in for one reason or another. I sir, promote dialouge and that, is a positive. It may not be what you want to hear (or see) but it is my opinion and that opinion is usually substantiated with facts.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby 4nic8 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:43 pm

Good Luck in your endeavors...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:48 pm

Why thank you quite kindly sir.

Practice Squad

Postby marasco0815 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:28 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:Of Course Ben can shrug of big tackles SOME OF THE TIME but NOT MOST OF THE TIME. Be honest, that technique works 2 out of 10 times. And yes Dan Marino DID do that. I dont know if you are familar with his career but yes sir he did that ALL THE TIME. He also played behind a BAD O-Line and NO RUNNING GAME. John Elway (Bens idol-hence the #7) also did this ALL THE TIME.

First, I wouldn't call it a technique. A big part of ben's game is making plays when things are breaking down. Really, if I need to argue this point it's not worth it. You either get it and understand or don't and no arguing is going to be an epiphany. I am very familiar with Dan Marion's career. And he did many things better than Ben, most qb's in fact. But sorry, shugging off defenders and keeping plays alive was not one of them. In fact the one criticism on Marion was the he was fairly immobile. In fact, as a Steeler fan you should recall Greg Lloyd saying he as going to knock Marino into tomorrow and going out and doing it. Now Marino made many great plays with his arm, but it became more fashionable to bring pressures on him after the steelers did it very successfully against him. By the way most of the years Marino played behind a very good, not great Oline. Definately not horrible..but never had a running game. Mostly due to Marino dominating the offense- and thus they always built around the passing game until it was too late. Oh yes, Elway could do all of that. Elway was a complete qb. Marino lacked this.

2. Ben didnt win a Super Bowl the STEELERS did. Now your changing an individual comparrison into a team one and TEAMS are not the issue. NO NFL purist will take Ben in ANY regard over Marino, nor will I. I recall when Marino was going to retire. The Steelers were trying to acquire him and I was GIDDY with anticipation of having that gunslinger in the black and gold, when he declined, it was a sad day. Do you care to compare Bens 1st 5 years vs Dans? I DONT THINK YOU WANT TO DO THAT SIR. Keep in mind Dan had ZERO running game. He had mediocre wrs. He had a HORRIBLE line (except Dwight Stephenson). Ben has had the good fortune to be surrounded with a good team, with a good running game, good coaching and great organization. If Dan had of been drafted By the Steelers we would have 10 super bowl under our belt.

The super bowl thing was a joke...mostly. The only relevant point behind the sarcasm is that I believe Marino lacked some of that creative ability when protections broke down. And it's hard to win a sb without being able to create in the pocket- like an Elway.
I never said Ben was better than Marino..just took exception to the statement that he does NOTHING better than Marino. Just not true.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Wooderson » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:53 pm

They are different Qb's from different times. The league is different now than it was then. It's like comparing Lennon to Cobain. Both are great in their own way, in their time, for a certain reason.

Stop comparing the two, it's ridiculous. Ben isn't perfect, neither was Marino. Both have/had their strengths and weaknesses. They played in different systems. Different times. Does Ben have Marino's release? No. Could Marino have made that pass to Hines with a 300 LB D-lineman hanging on him in the 4Q last weekend? No.

How would Montana had been if he played for the Bucs like Steve Young did early in his career? Young was shit then and Montana would have been too. Both of them owe everything to Walsh.

There are so many factors involved to compare one QB to another, especially with this time difference, among other things. To try to compare apples to apples with QB's is ridiculous.

I'll say this, every offensive 49er during the Walsh+ years is a product of the West Coast system before defenses caught up. Not saying they weren't good players, but if they played for another team, most of the HOF'ers, well...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:44 am

Yes they are different qbs from different times but there is STILL no comparison. The blitz doesnt bother Dan, it bothers Ben. And to hang your hat on the fact that Ben made a play with a 300lb lineman hanging on him is ludicrous. That play is successful 2 out of 10 times. The rest of the times hes sacked. Theres a reason hes the most sacked qb, living for those plays is playing with fire. Oh how I wish Ben would just read the D and release it would save our qb from the inevitable (injury). In case you forgot, see how ole Dan handles the pressure with a quick release and hot reads. I stand by my earlier statement.
http://noolmusic.com/myspace_videos/dan ... lights.php

Grizzled Veteran

Postby jstallworth82 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:15 am

ILLSTILL wrote:
Scalaid6 wrote:"Ben but he is even cooler than Marino in that regard."

I disagree...I don't think Marino would have been able to deal with this bad of a o line.

He won his Super Bowl what about Marino??? Oh I guess that doesn't count... hahahah Acabbbyaid you are such an idiot and your avatar is that of a bloated fat butt you should put you picture on that butt fathead

PreviousNext

Return to Stillers Talk