Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Mike tomlin , steelers football and bill cower..

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Mike tomlin , steelers football and bill cower..

Postby darthsteel » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:47 pm

1. if you wanna play cower football which it has become obvious you do , then you must wait till you have a 10 point lead before icing your offense.
2.you also do not try to ice a game with your number 3 running back , by running straigt up the middle at the begining of the 3rd qt with a 6 pt lead!.
3. you do not go back to the same offensive scheme that has been pathetic the last 3 weeks after you lit up the jags in the 4 qts you played them, even cower went with what worked at the time!
4. you do not rely on your offense to bail you out with a game winning drive at the end of every game, sooner or later it will not work!

mike you scored 40 plus points over the last 4qts against the jags dating back to the playoff game last yr running the no huddle ball in the air scheme, you do not switch out just for the hell of it!

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Mike tomlin , steelers football and bill cower..

Postby StainlessStill » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:57 pm

Who's cower?

I thought the game plan was at it's finest since Week 1. At least for one week, it was the opponent trying to figure us out rather than us trying to figure them out. Had a lot of guys step up. We learned a lot about our team going into the much needed bye week. I feel comfortable where we are and know that this is one tough group of guys. We're in good shape. Banged up, but good shape.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Pittsburgh » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:59 pm

Freakin Awesoem Night.

I love Sunday night Football i Primetime.

We played Great... I may not even get the replay of this... Proly will though... Great freakin game

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:11 am

StainlessStill wrote:Who's cower?

I thought the game plan was at it's finest since Week 1. At least for one week, it was the opponent trying to figure us out rather than us trying to figure them out. Had a lot of guys step up. We learned a lot about our team going into the much needed bye week. I feel comfortable where we are and know that this is one tough group of guys. We're in good shape. Banged up, but good shape.

Cower is what the former coach, a guy named Cowher, used to do when he turned turtle at the end of a game.
He never would have let Benji throw two passes in the last 2:02. He'd have gone into the line three times and had Reed kick a field goal, and then it would have been prayer time to see if the D could keep the Jags out of Scobee range. This new coach -- who brought in an entirely new offensive game plan this week -- went for six and got it.

Also, darth, remember that the Steelers' offense had the ball 21:00 in the first half, and they were really, really sucking wind in the heat and humidity in the third quarter. That was when Ben was getting sacked and running for his life. THEY TRIED MORE OF THE RUNNING GAME AT THAT POINT TO SHORTEN THE GAME. That was right after Smith had to be taken to the dressing room for an IV.

Stainless is right. This was the a badly banged up team, starting a third string running back, backed up by two guys who weren't even on the roster last week. THIS WAS THE BEST GAME PLAN OF THE YEAR. This team is developing terrific character, in the face of injuries, a punishing schedule, and a patchwork offensive line that is still very much a work in progress.

Quit yer bitchin', ladies and gentlemen and give Tomlin and his team the props they deserve as they spend the next two weeks healing their wounds and preparing for the rest of the season.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:11 am

did you skip the 3rd qt and the first 10 minutes of the 4th lol?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:40 am

Homer J wrote:

Cower is what the former coach, a guy named Cowher, used to do when he turned turtle at the end of a game.
He never would have let Benji throw two passes in the last 2:02. He'd have gone into the line three times and had Reed kick a field goal, and then it would have been prayer time to see if the D could keep the Jags out of Scobee range. This new coach -- who brought in an entirely new offensive game plan this week -- went for six and got it.

Also, darth, remember that the Steelers' offense had the ball 21:00 in the first half, and they were really, really sucking wind in the heat and humidity in the third quarter. That was when Ben was getting sacked and running for his life. THEY TRIED MORE OF THE RUNNING GAME AT THAT POINT TO SHORTEN THE GAME. That was right after Smith had to be taken to the dressing room for an IV.

Stainless is right. This was the a badly banged up team, starting a third string running back, backed up by two guys who weren't even on the roster last week. THIS WAS THE BEST GAME PLAN OF THE YEAR. This team is developing terrific character, in the face of injuries, a punishing schedule, and a patchwork offensive line that is still very much a work in progress.

Quit yer bitchin', ladies and gentlemen and give Tomlin and his team the props they deserve as they spend the next two weeks healing their wounds and preparing for the rest of the season.

you make good points about sucking wind and being banged up, but I have seen this style of play to much now durring the tomlin era and the opposition was sucking just as much wind .
I just had enuff of taking the gas off the pedal after every good first half, the jags taking the lead late was just to predictable while watching the second half unfold.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby StainlessStill » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:50 am

darthsteel wrote:
Homer J wrote:

you make good points about sucking wind and being banged up, but I have seen this style of play to much now durring the tomlin era and the opposition was sucking just as much wind .
I just had enuff of taking the gas off the pedal after every good first half, the jags taking the lead late was just to predictable while watching the second half unfold.

I agree on the taking the foot off the pedal statement. We had plenty of times to put this team away but settled for multiple 3 and outs to start the second half. Playing like that kept the Jags in the game till its end and we MUST do a better job of finishing a team off if we want to get W's against teams like SD, Dallas, Indy and the Giants.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:12 am

Hey guys, I'm not saying they should EVER take their foot off the pedal until the game is completely out of reach.

I'm saying that the Steelers OL was really sucking wind by the third quarter, having had the ball 21-plus minutes in the first half to 8-plus for Jacksonville...that the Jags - who hadn't sacked Ben in the first half - sacked him several times in the third quarter....That the Jags were probably better acclimated to their hot and humid weather...and that those factors had a lot to do with the third quarter doldrums. Watching the difference in the OL between the first half and the third quarter, it was clear that they were running out of gas....and were fading while Jax was coming on. Even Mr Ace is the Place mentioned it on the teevee -- noting that it seemed odd that the defense was getting stronger. And that was even before Smith went out. When your OL is gasping for air and your reserves are either untested or really suck, you try to shorten the game.

But I do wonder why they got away from the patterns in the middle to Heath and Hines. It seems they were working. Yet they didn't try many of those in the third or early fourth period. True, Jax made some adjustments, but you'd think they'd find some open space in the middle....since it was there in the first half...and in the final drive.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:14 am

Since when does Tomlin or Cowher call plays? Some people are sooooooo anxious to find fault in Tomlin, these guys are pathetic. Look at our schedule. What will you do if Tomlin leads them to 12-4 and Ben and Lefty get hurt and we win the Super Bowl with Dixon? I know you will give the credit to a hurt Ben for tutoring Dixon so well. :celebrate:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:46 am

Scalaid6 wrote:Since when does Tomlin or Cowher call plays? Some people are sooooooo anxious to find fault in Tomlin, these guys are pathetic. Look at our schedule. What will you do if Tomlin leads them to 12-4 and Ben and Lefty get hurt and we win the Super Bowl with Dixon? I know you will give the credit to a hurt Ben for tutoring Dixon so well. :celebrate:

seriously are you as dumb as you come across on here?

what part of the head coach has the final say on how to aproach a game,half or qt don you quite understand?

you always talk about ben having a head set during the no huddle , do you not realize tomlin has one on also and can tell bruce to get the fuck with the program and put the ball in the air?

At halftime when the coaches go into the meeting room and shut the door do you think ariens tells tomlin we are gonna play safe in the second half or do you think its the other way around?

tomlin should have said to bruce , keep up the tempo and continue what we were doing in the first half till I tell you to take the air out o the ball!

that was 4 straight qts dating back to the playoff game where the jags could not stop the stiller offense, so what does tomlin do? he stops it for them!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:05 am

Your right Tomlin DOES have that power but he has SAID MANY TIMES, he doesnt mess with their gameplans. Are you a Steelers fan? He has said this MANY TIMES! The last I checked Mike Tomlin is a VERY successful coach and you should be grateful that we have a young, intellegent coach on our side instead of knit picking everything he does. When the team is successful its Ben who does it. When the team fails its Tomlin or Arians who caused it. :celebrate:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:09 am

Whats the matter Darth, you have a problem with our coach? What REALLY your deal bro come on you can tell me, I wont tell anyone.I feel your pain bro. How come EVERY guy that comes into contact with the man is BLOWN away by his football knowledge? Everybody telling a lie? Our beloved Qb who hated Cowher/Wisenhunt, LOVES Coach Tomlin why is that sir?

Return to Stillers Talk