Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Sweed swept under rug to special teams!

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Sweed swept under rug to special teams!

Postby Hi5Steeler » Thu May 29, 2008 1:54 pm

Steelers' rookie WR Sweed gets special assignment
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Steelers are counting on rookie Limas Sweed cracking their rotation at wide receiver this season, which is not unexpected. But what may be surprising is that the Steelers apparently think his size, speed and long arms can also help on special teams.
"Coach (Bob Ligashesky) said he likes me coming off the edge, using my speed to block punts," Sweed said Wednesday after an organized team activity practice at the Steelers' South Side facility. "I never did special teams in my life until I came here, and I actually like it."

The Steelers picked Sweed in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft, and the 6-foot-4 1/2, 219-pounder is expected to give them the rangy wideout they have lacked since Plaxico Burress left as a free agent following the 2004 season.

While his primary objective has been learning the offense and developing rapport with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and the other wideouts, Sweed said he hasn't minded the work he has gotten on special teams during offseason practices.

"It's fun to me," the former University of Texas standout said. "All you've got to do is beat a guy around the corner and block the kick."
Tickets available

The Steelers will sell tickets to individual games through Ticketmaster.

There is a limit of four tickers per buyer for the eight regular-season games the Steelers will play at Heinz Field next season. There is no restriction on the number of tickets for the two preseason games the Steelers will play at Heinz Field.

Ticket sales start at noon June 21 and can be purchased by going to www.ticketmaster.com or calling 412-323-1919.

All of the available tickets are expected to be sold that day, and the majority of them are in the $59-$62 price range.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
Back to headlines

Greenhorned Rookie

Re: Sweed swept under rug to special teams!

Postby sarka196 » Fri May 30, 2008 10:36 pm

From personal experience, I can only say I always enjoyed playing special teams. Why not try a rookie as big as him with long arms? I'd rather see him catching the ball, but I don't expect him to unseat either Hines or Santonio. So, get him on the field in other ways.
Marines should come with warning labels.

Return to Stillers Talk