Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Give it to Russell

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Give it to Russell

Postby UKBlackNGold » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:24 am

I'd really like to see Russell given a chance to impress on Sunday.

The sheer panic that has set in with the sudden loss of Mendy and Davis, is a little crazy!

Moore, Dookie and Russell, have a load more experience between them than the aforementioned
and will be asked to carry the load instead . . . . , and i'm not overly worried!

However with the re-signing of Dookie probably dropping Russell to 3rd on the depth chart,
he must be wondering what he has to do to get a chance!!

Russell is basically the only RB on the roster, who remains an enigma!

All he can ask for is a chance, lets hope someone, anyone sees sense and gives the kid a try!!

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Give it to Russell

Postby Nashsteeler » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:14 am

I don't really think you'll see Dookie get very many touches this Sunday. Moore will get the bulk, with Russell getting 10 or so if the running game is clicking. Alot of teams have had success throwing on the Jags, including Schaub last week, so hopefully we'll do more with the short, quick passing game. Moore would figure better into this type of game plan than does Russell.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:42 am

McLovin says Russell and Dookie both suck and as of a week ago were not in the NFL. No team wants them. Why do you suppose that is? Because they're so good? We can only hope Fragile Willie comes back strong after the bye and can hang on for the rest of the year. In the meantime, Throw Ben Throw! Oh wait you need pass protection to do that...run Ben run!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:23 am

I think Russell is good. I have always seen him run hard in the pre-season. I think hes a sleeper. In regards to nobody wanting him, I ask you, how many teams wanted Willie Parker?? I rest my case

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:26 am

The who wanted Tom Brady and who wanted Willie Parker arguement is lame. Parker not even a starter at UNC just a roll of the dice by a Rooney brother going on a recommendation. Russell been on the roster and CUT...Davenport CUT by TWO teams...If Parker were cut today teams would want him if Russell and Dookie were cut and nobody wanted them...McLovin rests his case

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:36 am

Its not lame. Willie wont be cut because he got a chance to show what he can do. Who wanted him prior to that?? Remember the depth chart went Bettis/Staley/Veron THEN WILLIE. He was in the SAME situation as Russell is UNTIL he got to show what he can do. Nobody wanted Willie. Brady WAS wanted, thats why he got drafted. Might have been late but he still got drafted. Najeh was a commodity for the Packers at one time when Ahman got hurt, so dont act like he was never wanted. Lastly, Najeh cleared waivers due to CHARACTER ISSUES not playing ability. Not supporting Davenport because he sux, just stating the facts because some people like to cloud issues.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:58 am

Cedric Benson has issues he got signed. Russell has issues... he flunked out of Minnesota and was out of shape at the combine. Talent is the issue. the difference between Parker as a former 4th stringer and Russell is that Russell got cut and NOBODY ELSE WANTED HIM. Parker not cut and worked his way to starter. Talent is the issue...Ced has potential as being #4 pick suggests...Dookie did nothing against the Jags in the playoffs when it counted. His domestic issues leading to him not getting a job is pure speculation on your part. If he had TALENT he'd be on a roster just like Ced, Pacman, Marshall, Chris Henry and the rest of the thugs in this league who are given several opportunites to play.

Practice Squad

Postby SteelersD » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:34 pm

I've followed Russell's career since he was ripping off 200 yard games every week in high school. I don't know the man, but I do know some people who know him and he's a good kid who's been through some shit. If any of us went through some of what he went through we'd be a lot worse off than him. Say what you want about flunking out and being out of shape. What matters is that he got it together enough to make the Steelers for 2 straight years. He was just as good at Minnesota as Maroney and if some of his personal problems didn't surface he would probably had a great ending to his college career and been a 1st/2nd round pick. Tomlin was coaching the Vike's D when Russell was at Univ. of Minnesota. I have a feeling that he saw enough of this kid back then and knows the potential is there. Don't dump on him quite yet (this includes you Najeh...we know your past, too!).

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:40 pm

Mclovin is obviously uneducated so let me educate you sir. Will was on the verge of being cut, trust that. Who keeps 4 rbs? Had it not been for injuries at that position he would have been. Did willie work hard to be the starter or did Bettis AND Duce AND Veron get hurt to FORCE him into playing? Come on sir your not dealing with the average Steeler fan in me, your dealing with one who knows his stuff. I think Russell is good and you'll see that once he gets his chance.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:09 pm

Where does Scalaid get off calling McLovin uneduated? In essence Scalaid is comparing Gary Russell to Willie Parker. Who is undeducated? Russell had his chance and got cut.Willie went the practice squad route and worked too hard NOT to get cut. Maybe Russell will seize this opportunity time will tell. I'm not routing against him just pointing out he got cut for a reason and...NOBODY ELSE SIGNED HIM WHEN WE CUT HIM. Oh and High school running backs who "rip off" 200 yd games are a dime a dozen. North Hills Lavar Arrington used to do it weekly and became a LB not a rb. Hell, short, Shaler white kids do it all the time and they just end up at IUP instead of mighty Minnesota.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:16 pm

I'm NOT comparing Russell to Willie, I am comparing their SITUATIONS on the roster-BIG DIFFERENCE sir. We would have probably never heard of Willie if our Rbs hadnt gotten hurt and HE woulda got cut and who woulda picked up a guy who BARELY played in college? THATS WHY YOUR UNEDUCATED, you dont consider all of the variables.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby UKBlackNGold » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:25 pm

I'd hazzard a guess that Russell was cut due more to numbers and situation than actually what he showed on the field.

Parker (Starter)
Mendy (First Rounder)
Moore (Productive FA with upside, little used, with excellent all around skills)
Davis (The big back)

I thought Russell had showed enough potential and ability also on ST, to grab a spot, just get the feeling if this is his final chance, he really needs to (be allowed) to take it, or we'll never know!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:27 pm

Don't call McLovin undeducated again. Disagree with my opinion is fine, but brotha you ain't that smart! In another post McLovin, correctly sighted that Fragile Willie was brought in on a tip to one of the Rooney brothers. You are correct had Duce not been hurt Willie would not have gotten his chance. Maybe now that Fast Willie is Fragile Willie, Russell will get his chance. BUT...Russell lacks one intangible Willie has that made him impossible to cut...speed!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:59 pm

Willie is not fragile Willie, he is a rb and a small one at that. You try getting hit by 250-300 pounders on every play and see how your body holds up. Same goes with those who call Ben fragile, he gets PUNISHED and he is tougher than hes given credit for. To call Willie fragile is an uneducated statement, hence me calling you that. If Willies speed is such a plus why didnt it make the starter at NC? When he was a rookie? I remember his 1st two season he broke a long one in at least 2 pre-season games, so they KNEW about the speed, so why was he still the 4th string rb? Why didnt his speed move him up on the depth chart? Speaking of speed why is our fastest WR, Limas Sweed not dressing? I think speedy responses show your lack of Steeler intellect, I think you need to slow down and do the speed limit because your comments are wreckless.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:11 pm

only a moron would call gary russell good. based on what? give it a rest.

weve got a stud STAR RB on our roster in mewelde moore. keep him cutting to the outside like willie should and throw him the ball all game. all game. hes gold.

use russell up the gut for two yards and a cloud of dust.

period.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby rick723 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:25 pm

McLovin wrote:McLovin says Russell and Dookie both suck and as of a week ago were not in the NFL. No team wants them. Why do you suppose that is? Because they're so good? We can only hope Fragile Willie comes back strong after the bye and can hang on for the rest of the year. In the meantime, Throw Ben Throw! Oh wait you need pass protection to do that...run Ben run!

Davenport has always been a good back Not great but good. I say he gets 120+ yards. BUT what I really want to see is Russell start and run hard and good. I do think our top 3 should be, Willie, Davis and Russell. Davenport also has a long pass completion, wasn't that againse the jags?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby rick723 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:26 pm

To quote someone I really hate
"Just win Baby"

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:52 pm

I'm basing my statement on the only thing I have to base it on and thats, pre-season. He showed me some glimpses of potential JUST like Willie did when he was only playing in pre-season. The moron will be the one eating crow after he gets his chance. MEWELDE A STAR? Perhaps he was a star in the bedroom on that boat in Minnesota but on the field hes a good 3rd down back with some potential. I like what I saw in him last game but a star?? Time will tell

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:52 am

Although he detects a hint of sarcasm, McLovin says that if you guys think Dookie going to get 120 yds vs Jax and Moore is a star then you're as crazy as Sca-never-laid who doesn't get that Russell had his chance and was CUT and NOT picked up by anybody. With today's scouting Sca-never-laid do you really think that an NFL calibur scout missed the POTENTIAL you saw in Russell during pre-season??? Look dude Russell may indeed capitalize on his second chance, but he was about to be out of the NFL before Mendenhall went down he was not on the verge of being anything but a practice squad lifer at best. Colbert has his flaws sca-never-laid, but he and Tomlin know more about NFL calibur players than you and McLovin ever will... and the facts are Russell and Dookie both were cut by them and NO OTHER TEAM WANTED THEM. Good day toolbag!

Practice Squad

Postby SteelersD » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:22 am

For awhile no one wanted former first rounder Cedric Benson either. Teams still don't want Shaun Alexander. Or Tatum Bell, Lee Suggs, Musa Smith, Marcel Shipp, Vernand Morency, etc. There are a lot of guys out there that 32 teams don't want. So trash Russell all you want by saying that nobody wanted him. Nobody wanted the above mentioned guys either and they all have plenty of game experience. It's no real shocker no one grabbed Russell. There's something about him the Steelers like. They're willing to give him a chance and so am I. If he sucks I'll surely admit that I was wrong (as well as the Steelers coaching and scouting staff) and say that he sucks. For now, though, he's an unknown commodity worth a look.

Any chance you could respond in the first person?

Next

Return to Stillers Talk