Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Typical Colbert -- Davenport signed

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Re: Typical Colbert -- Davenport signed

Postby Homer J » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:43 am

lloydrules wrote:
Homer J wrote:Hey, Lloydrules....

I agree the choice of Dookie is the easy/lazy pick.

But I have a question for you about signing two players.

The Steelers' roster is full and so is the practice squad. Who are ya gonna cut to sign that extra guy? There's a limit on the number of people you can have....and if you secretly sign and practice somebody and get caught, you lose a draft pick.

It happened a number of years ago to Chuck Noll when Clayton wrote about someone practicing with the team when - it turned out - that player was not legally under contract and the Steelers were at the player limit.

First of all, Mendenhall has created a roster spot b/c he is out for the YEAR. So did Simmons. There are two open spots right there. So where is the problem? If we needed 3, they could throw one of the slobs who made the roster to the practice squad (that no one would steal) and add yet a third possible player.

Unless I am high, and they don't allow you to add players to your roster when you lose a player to injury, I don't get what your thought process is.

Yes, but they added Davenport to replace Mendenhall, Rusell to replace Simmons. and signed Legursky to the practice squad so that there's some OL depth there. In addition to getting beaten, the offensive line is also getting beaten up. Probably a lot of whiplash from looking back and seeing Ben getting blasted on all those plays. Looking back so quickly when you throw a lookout block can cause neck cramps. Having lost a lineman from your weakest link, it's probably a good idea to have signed the Polish kid from Marshall. He's tough as nails and quicker than most of the guys he'd replace.

So your answer is to shitcan somebody from the practice squad and hire somebody from somewhere else. Cool. We can all live with that, if it means improvement. Any suggestion who to shitcan and who to hire??? :) :)

Grizzled Veteran

Postby lloydrules » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:29 pm

Homer J wrote:
lloydrules wrote:
Homer J wrote:Hey, Lloydrules....

I agree the choice of Dookie is the easy/lazy pick.

But I have a question for you about signing two players.

The Steelers' roster is full and so is the practice squad. Who are ya gonna cut to sign that extra guy? There's a limit on the number of people you can have....and if you secretly sign and practice somebody and get caught, you lose a draft pick.

It happened a number of years ago to Chuck Noll when Clayton wrote about someone practicing with the team when - it turned out - that player was not legally under contract and the Steelers were at the player limit.

First of all, Mendenhall has created a roster spot b/c he is out for the YEAR. So did Simmons. There are two open spots right there. So where is the problem? If we needed 3, they could throw one of the slobs who made the roster to the practice squad (that no one would steal) and add yet a third possible player.

Unless I am high, and they don't allow you to add players to your roster when you lose a player to injury, I don't get what your thought process is.

Yes, but they added Davenport to replace Mendenhall, Rusell to replace Simmons. and signed Legursky to the practice squad so that there's some OL depth there. In addition to getting beaten, the offensive line is also getting beaten up. Probably a lot of whiplash from looking back and seeing Ben getting blasted on all those plays. Looking back so quickly when you throw a lookout block can cause neck cramps. Having lost a lineman from your weakest link, it's probably a good idea to have signed the Polish kid from Marshall. He's tough as nails and quicker than most of the guys he'd replace.

So your answer is to shitcan somebody from the practice squad and hire somebody from somewhere else. Cool. We can all live with that, if it means improvement. Any suggestion who to shitcan and who to hire??? :) :)

Quick answer to boot to practice squad: Tony Hills. He won't play at all this season and no one would steal him off the roster. He shouldn't even made the team; the only reason he did was from the staff's ego. They didn't want to admit that of the entire draft class of 08, not a single OLman made the squad, being that the unit sucks so bad. That is the only reason Hills is even on the roster.

Now, who to add? I think we can assume he would only come from an NFC player.

Someone mentioned Droughns. That wouldn't be a bad pick up, all things considered.

The Cards love their rookie, Hightower, so maybe they would part with Arlington. He's not great but he's not shit either.

There's go to be several backs not getting any carries that would be considered as possible trade material. Other teams do it. But, Oh, not the Steelers; they may have to shell out a few extra 100k

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:28 pm

DashRipRock wrote:I think Davenport is a good pickup. A lot of people here will be surprised by his productivity.

There is nothing lazy about the Steelers' organization with respect to personnel. Ask the folks in Cincy about lazy personnel decisions.

I simply want a durable running back; health supercedes talent at this juncture, in my opinion.

Of what use is a talented, but injured, running back?

All I am hoping is that Davenport can average 3 yds per carry, handle a linebacker blitz, and stay on the field for several games without being carted away with an injury.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:45 pm

McLovin is amused by the amount of run Dookie has gotten on this board. The guy is a very temporary band-aid. He is nothing that requires day after day conversation. The keys to the season are now in Fragile Willie's hands. If he doesn't stay healthy the rest of the way say so long to the playoffs

Previous

Return to Stillers Talk