Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » A bright spot no one is talking about

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

A bright spot no one is talking about

Postby lloydrules » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:03 pm

With the worthless Simmons in the game, Ben got creamed. With Arians play calling, the O sucked. With Simmons out and Ben calling the plays, they had zero sacks in the 2nd half and put up 10 points (The D scored the other TD).

Now, is it possible with the Rooneys being FORCED to not play Simmons that OL will be improved? Did the staff learn anything about allowing Ben to go no huddle and call the plays, or will they go back to have Ari-ass call plays?

If the staff wises up and with Simmons lo longer being an option, will we see the emergence of the PS offense?

Can we hope? Dare we hope?

There is no doubt the offense was better with no huddle and Ben calling the shots.

Hear that Tomlin? Rooneys?

Grizzled Veteran

Re: A bright spot no one is talking about

Postby El Nino » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:07 pm

ben is a much better decision maker than arians is. honestly they should give him full reigns on his offense like indy does with peyton manning, it'll make the offense a lot better.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Steel_Buckeye » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:39 am

I keep hearing the so called "experts" on FOX sports and ESPN saying that with Simmons, Mendenhall and Hampton out, the steelers are realy hurting now. Realy hurting now? I mean, Mendenhall hadn't even played but a few plays up till that point all season, and can you get any worse in pass protection than Simmons? These experts don't realy know, and it makes me wonder how accurate the info on the rest of the NFL is? I'm not as informed on the other 31 teams as I am the Steelers, so I try to get info on them from these sources. I guess I just have to take it with a grain of salt!
I_STEEL_BELIEVE

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:11 am

Are you guys that naive? In the no huddle the tempo is just hurried but the HEADSET IS STILL ON IN BENS EARS. They dont turn it on mute during no huddle. Arians is STILL calling the plays in Bens ear, its just that Ben is audibling to better match the defense he sees, something he should do more of. But make no mistake about it, Arians is still calling the plays in his ear.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:19 am

Also, Peyton doesnt call his own plays either. He gets 3 plays called by the OCoordinator 1. Run 2.Pass 3.playaction pass. Peyton looks at the D and chooses wich one will work vs the defense he sees. Also, dont look for the no huddle to be a staple of our offense, nor should it be. It should be used AT TIMES but no way you use it all game. This is simple, your defense would never get much rest and its hard to run time off of clock to protect a lead when doing so. This is one of the main reason the Buffalo Bills of the 90s lost big games. NO successful team has run the no huddle exclusively and I hope we dont try it. In spurts, yes but exclusively? NO. And again, NAJEH DAVENPORT(WHO THROWS LEFT HOOKS AT WOMEN) IS A BUM. WE SHOULDA SIGNED VERON.

Practice Squad

Postby SNW » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:27 pm

I have not heard anyone say it yet, which with all of the Simmons haters out there has suprised me. An Achilles injury usually take more that one season to come back from and often never gets well enough to play again, especially for a OL man. Next years OL just got changed again. If someone steps up this year, Stapleton, Essex, Colon, I don't believe Simmons makes it back as a starter.
Colon will get his chance during the bye week if the coaching staff thinks he can play gaurd, if not that idea can be put to bed.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:27 pm

Colon is a bum

Grizzled Veteran

Postby lloydrules » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:33 pm

You know, the point of this post was the positive things that happened once Simmons was out and they used the hurry up.

And, some how, it turned into something else completely.

Par for the course.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:33 pm

You're right, lloydrules...

Stapleton stepped up....and with the no huddle keeping the Ravens from substituting and limiting their changes, Benji spent most of the second half on his feet. That WAS a change.

How much of that was Stapleton -- and how much was the no huddle -- we can debate that.

But you're right on the money. The change was a good thing. :surockin: :surockin: :surockin:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:07 pm

Ben was on his feet because he did what he should ALWAYS DO. Get rid of the Ball fast. Simple

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:37 pm

BR7 and the offense cannot rely soley on the no huddle to give the game an upbeat tempo to their advantage. Teams can adjust to that and it can backfire also, so that was in my opinion a band aid for more serious issues there.

J.M.H.O.
CRUCIBLE STEEL AND SPECIALTY ALLOYS DIVISION. COLT INDUSTRIES. VESUVIUS RESEARCH MIDLAND PENNSYLVANIA.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:49 pm

It worked for Jim Kelly's Bills. (at least until they got to the Super Bowl)

Grizzled Veteran

Postby lloydrules » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:33 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:Ben was on his feet because he did what he should ALWAYS DO. Get rid of the Ball fast. Simple

It's NOT that simple. How about the plays when rushers get to BB at the same time as the ball does? WTF does that have to do with BB holding it too long?

Return to Stillers Talk