Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Jaguars Game

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Jaguars Game

Postby GCCSteel » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:57 am

I think this may be a great game for us going into the bye week. They let a poor Texans team throw all day against them (Shaub 70%, 300 Yards, 3 TDs). They also had 0 sacks, maybe Ben will have some time to throw?

The defense should be able to keep us in this game, with all 3 interior linemen gone for the year on the Jags. Garrard hasn't looked as sharp this year, probably due to the line issues. We are definately beat up and not on top of our game, but 4-1 wouldn't look too bad going into the bye week...

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Jaguars Game

Postby El Nino » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:41 am

good thing it's a night game, the heat won't be as much of a factor there like it usually is early in the season

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:52 pm

I dunno, GCCSteel. The Jags always give us fits. I'm really worried about Sunday night's game. :(

Grizzled Veteran

Postby lloydrules » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:49 pm

steelerette wrote:I dunno, GCCSteel. The Jags always give us fits. I'm really worried about Sunday night's game. :(

This game has always been brutal, no matter what. Pgh used every last gasp to win this week. And now they have to go on the road, where Tomlin's record is weak to begin with, in normal, less brutal situations (see AZ, Denver, Jets games last year).

Jags are not a great sacking team, but they will still get to Ben. We will have no rushing game to speak of - even if we had Parker available. Our D will battle for a while, but offense not moving the chains will wear them out eventually.

Jags will most likely cover the 4 points. Maybe 16-10 or something like that.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby El Nino » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:52 pm

i don't think we lose this, but it won't be an easy game. the jagoffs look a lot weaker than the previous year, and losing key linemen to injuries isn't good against our defense. We win another defensive battle and get a much needed bye the following week

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:02 pm

The JAX JAGOFFS have our number, and as a direct result of this, we as a collective whole are screwed and tatooed. :sutimebomb:

With the absolute pathetic performance demonstrated by the entire organization against teams that are at best average teams this season, they have won by the slimmest of margins. This is not what Stiller Nation is used to watching as in the past by the dominating teams of prior seasons where the final outcome of the game was not even in question.

I feel that they should conserve BR7 and use BL4 until they can address the line issues, as this season is not going to get any easier with the remaining teams on the schedule-you just have to look beyond the short term of this season.

J.M.H.O.
CRUCIBLE STEEL AND SPECIALTY ALLOYS DIVISION. COLT INDUSTRIES. VESUVIUS RESEARCH MIDLAND PENNSYLVANIA.

Practice Squad

Postby First to Six » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:40 pm

I think we're staring at 3-2 going into the bye if Scarians can't get his s--- together.

I see the something along the lines of 13-23 with the D playing well but having to contend with short fields all night because the O can't get moving.

To the offense's credit, we have had to play the 10th, 3rd and 1st best defenses respectively the past three weeks in terms of yards allowed. The Jags are No. 18 in yards allowed. This could mean our O looks a little better in this game. But that's tough to say with the line and banged up RBs.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby deltadweller » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:48 pm

I say we scrap the Steel Town mentality for 1 game, Run an offense similiar to Philly. Spread with Moore and lots of no huddle. Don't have a fit, it's just a 1 week adjusment until FWP is hopefully back after the break.

Practice Squad

Postby SteelTreal » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:54 pm

contain the QB and good matchups on the tall WRs like MAtt Jones should get the Victory

Seasoned Veteran

Postby JumboHeadYouks » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:43 pm

The Steelers are due to beat this team. There is no doubt in my mind that with a healthy Troy P. and Aaron Smith, we would have beaten the Jaguars last year. The defense just couldn't hold them one damn time...and that is pretty sad seeing as JAXs' offense it not very good. They have no talent at the WR position...and what talent they have at RB is negated by all of the injuries to their offensive line. They have a decent defensive unit...but to get lit up by a HOU, a team we had beaten by 30 points before we called off the dogs, is pathetic.

I think all you yinzers need to stop thinking about JAX of the past...they are playing terrible ball right now and their O-line will be overmatched by the Steelers. I expect Harrisson and Woodley to have monster days.

I expect a low scoring game.

Steelers 17
Jaguars 10

Grizzled Veteran

Postby lloydrules » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:47 pm

JumboHeadYouks wrote:The Steelers are due to beat this team. There is no doubt in my mind that with a healthy Troy P. and Aaron Smith, we would have beaten the Jaguars last year. The defense just couldn't hold them one damn time...and that is pretty sad seeing as JAXs' offense it not very good. They have no talent at the WR position...and what talent they have at RB is negated by all of the injuries to their offensive line. They have a decent defensive unit...but to get lit up by a HOU, a team we had beaten by 30 points before we called off the dogs, is pathetic.

I think all you yinzers need to stop thinking about JAX of the past...they are playing terrible ball right now and their O-line will be overmatched by the Steelers. I expect Harrisson and Woodley to have monster days.

I expect a low scoring game.

Steelers 17
Jaguars 10

Jags found a way to beat Indy in Indy. Yea, I know Indy isn't as good as they were and they got thumped by the Bears, but still. It's in their house on national TV and we come in beat up. Jags have leadership. They have their problems, but what have the Steelers shown you to make you believe they are any better than the Jags to this point? Wins over the Texans and Browns? Jags lost to UNDEFEATED Bills and TN - both STILL undefeated, and those games came down to the wire.

Mojo and Garrard have been Steeler killers. Will that change this Sunday?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby indysteel » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:55 pm

On any given Sunday in the NFL...any team can beat the other. Remember, both sides get paid to play the game.

This is why they play the game.....on the field.....

I will agree that JKVL has been a thorn historically. I also don't like the way we are all banged up.

If we can get out of JKVL with a win, we are in great shape. If not, that's OK too. Lots of season left.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Steel_Buckeye » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:50 am

I just have this sneaky suspision that our Offense goes crazy!?! Hines, Holmes, and Heath all score. Then we rest and look like crap coming out of the bye! Against the Bungels no less, but since it is Cincinnati, we barley win. Then at 5-1, the media will be sipp'n the Steelers Kool-Aid again!

:sudancin:
I_STEEL_BELIEVE

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Stillustronic » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:33 am

The Jags have been poor at defending the pass so far this year. I wouldn't look to Houston, Buffalo, and especially the Titans for a big passing offense either, and Manning so far is having for him a bad year.

Arians should take note of this, and use Moore and the TEs in dumpoffs and quick middle hits to help get our running game going. Then Ben could go downfield with some PA later if successful. And why the hell don't they at least dress Sweed and at least send him deep if for nothing else other than a decoy??!! It's totally stupid to have him inactive.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:29 am

Jags have beat us like 5 str8 (not sure on the exact number). They play more physical than us. That running game wears us down. They beat us with Garrard and Leftwich, with Tomlin and Cowher and I'm tired of it. For all of you guys begging to throw more, you better look at the stats of games when Ben throws alot, its not pretty. Running the ball and passing here and there is the key to letting our defense rest. Lastly, you can never cross examine teams in the NFL- Texans passed on them so we can etc. Things change from week to week and personnel is different on every team, also we dont have a Andre Johnson on our roster. Yes passing is prettier and makes for better football BUT the numbers dont lie. I like Russell, Let him get a chance to shine

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:31 am

How is it stupid to have Sweed inactive? The guy is not ready to play. "Not ready" in the NFL means he doesnt know the offense. Yeah put him out there and have Ben hot route and then he runs a streak and the ball is picked ala Neil O'donnell in the Super Bowl. The coaches know what they are doing, hes a #2 draft pick dont you think they WANT to play him? They dont because they simply CANT.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:23 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:Jags have beat us like 5 str8 (not sure on the exact number). They play more physical than us. That running game wears us down. They beat us with Garrard and Leftwich, with Tomlin and Cowher and I'm tired of it. For all of you guys begging to throw more, you better look at the stats of games when Ben throws alot, its not pretty. Running the ball and passing here and there is the key to letting our defense rest. Lastly, you can never cross examine teams in the NFL- Texans passed on them so we can etc. Things change from week to week and personnel is different on every team, also we dont have a Andre Johnson on our roster. Yes passing is prettier and makes for better football BUT the numbers dont lie. I like Russell, Let him get a chance to shine

McLovin wants to know who you want to run the ball? You think the 3 headed monster of Melwede, Russell, and Dookie are scaring the Jags right now? Why can't you cross examine teams...its called scouting. Andre Johnson had only 3 catches for 38 yds against the jags. My guess is Hines or Holmes can top that pretty easily. Owen Daniels had 7 catches for 87 yds...Heath Miller is a comparible player to Daniels and needs to have a good game.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Stillustronic » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:10 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:Jags have beat us like 5 str8 (not sure on the exact number). They play more physical than us. That running game wears us down. They beat us with Garrard and Leftwich, with Tomlin and Cowher and I'm tired of it. For all of you guys begging to throw more, you better look at the stats of games when Ben throws alot, its not pretty. Running the ball and passing here and there is the key to letting our defense rest. Lastly, you can never cross examine teams in the NFL- Texans passed on them so we can etc. Things change from week to week and personnel is different on every team, also we dont have a Andre Johnson on our roster. Yes passing is prettier and makes for better football BUT the numbers dont lie. I like Russell, Let him get a chance to shine

Short memory, in 04 without Plax, Ben tossed up a 158.0 game IN Jacksonville. 05 Maddox fumbled away a sure win without being touched. 06 Ben wasn't ready to play less than 3 weeks after an emergency appendectomy. Yeah 07 wasn't the best the Steelers played, and Jax took advantage of us missing Smith Clarka and Troy. Jax was given one in 05, fortunate in 07 their strengths matched our shorthanded weakness.

I'll consider this years game more even with what they lost compared to what we are missing, but Parker got 100 on them rushing and Dookie took a shit with his start.

*Tired old armchair analyses*– 1) they out physical us, 2) Ben's no good with a lot of attempts.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Field General Ben » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:51 pm

steelerette wrote:I dunno, GCCSteel. The Jags always give us fits. I'm really worried about Sunday night's game. :(

I think it's a matter of the Jags always catching us at the right time. '05 - Ben's out and they still struggled to beat us in OT even though we had that shitbag Maddox behind center. '06 - Dumbshit Cowher brings Ben back to early. Batch should have gotten the start as it's apparent Ben's surgery was still affecting him. '07 playoffs - no Willie. Looks like it's lined up for them to beat us again with all the injuries, but they won't . Steelers win 20-13.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:08 pm

Stillustronic wrote:

Short memory, in 04 without Plax, Ben tossed up a 158.0 game IN Jacksonville. 05 Maddox fumbled away a sure win without being touched. 06 Ben wasn't ready to play less than 3 weeks after an emergency appendectomy. Yeah 07 wasn't the best the Steelers played, and Jax took advantage of us missing Smith Clarka and Troy. Jax was given one in 05, fortunate in 07 their strengths matched our shorthanded weakness.

I'll consider this years game more even with what they lost compared to what we are missing, but Parker got 100 on them rushing and Dookie took a shit with his start.

*Tired old armchair analyses*– 1) they out physical us, 2) Ben's no good with a lot of attempts.

MAKE ALL THE EXCUSES YOU LIKE. WE LOST. BOTTOM LINE

Next

Return to Stillers Talk