Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » West Coast Offense

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

West Coast Offense

Postby Homer J » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:43 am

I've watched a tall lumbering young quarterback here in Washington blossom under the West Coast offense. Like Ben, Jason Campbell has a patchwork offensive line to work with.

Now that the Steelers have lost most of their running backs and a starting offensive lineman, maybe it's time for Tomlin and Arians to go to war with the army they have....instead of the one they wish they had.

Multiple receivers -- including Ward, Holmes, Miller and Spaeth, with Mewelde Moore coming out of the backfield -- and a quick, short passing game seems to be the best option for this depleted team. We might even see some production from the Tiffinator. (Who knows?)

I know one of the announcers mentioned it last night as a possibility, but it's a good idea anyway. Perhaps someone could find a link on how this offense actually works....and send that link to General Arians. It seems that a team with a strong armed, tough quarterback with an excellent touch.....and a plethora of good receivers.....with an offensive line that sucks and no running backs...would opt for the West Coast offense ASAP.

Put some plays in right away....and install the whole damn thing during the bye week.

Whaddya think???

Seasoned Veteran

Re: West Coast Offense

Postby dirtydave61 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:02 am

I think you're definitely on to something. However, you can't just change an offense mid-season. But, I certainly think they can implement some West Coast offense principles, such as those you mentioned -- throwing to the running backs and to the swarm of talented receivers.

Moore (and Parker when he returns from injury), can both make plays out of the backfield, Hines and Santonio are super tough receivers capable of making good runs after the catch, and for whatever reason, Heath Miller reminds me a lot of Brent Jones for the mid-90s 49ers.

It appears, as you pointed out, that the Steelers are set up to be a West Coast team and don't realize it. They're going to have to develop a lot of quick dumps if they want to go anywhere this year. Good call.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Lake37 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:26 am

Agreed. A more west coast style look to the offense may be just this team needs. Moore was our third leading receiver last night (3 for 37) and made the biggest play of the overtime. In fact Mendenhall and Davis both also had receptions, which means 4 of BR7's 14 completions were to his backs (I don't recall any of these being screens). Would definitely be nice to see more of this in the future especially with the injury situation as you mentioned.

Seasoned Veteran

Re: West Coast Offense: It was logical, and it worked

Postby Homer J » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:20 am

POSTED THIS LAST TUESDAY.....(note the brave prediction that Nate might even produce)

Homer J wrote:I've watched a tall lumbering young quarterback here in Washington blossom under the West Coast offense. Like Ben, Jason Campbell has a patchwork offensive line to work with.

Now that the Steelers have lost most of their running backs and a starting offensive lineman, maybe it's time for Tomlin and Arians to go to war with the army they have....instead of the one they wish they had.

Multiple receivers -- including Ward, Holmes, Miller and Spaeth, with Mewelde Moore coming out of the backfield -- and a quick, short passing game seems to be the best option for this depleted team. We might even see some production from the Tiffinator. (Who knows?)
I know one of the announcers mentioned it last night as a possibility, but it's a good idea anyway. Perhaps someone could find a link on how this offense actually works....and send that link to General Arians. It seems that a team with a strong armed, tough quarterback with an excellent touch.....and a plethora of good receivers.....with an offensive line that sucks and no running backs...would opt for the West Coast offense ASAP.

Put some plays in right away....and install the whole damn thing during the bye week.

Whaddya think???

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:28 am

Look at all the Qbs who have SHINED in the west coast offense, they are all SMART. Not saying Ben is dumb but TRUST ME, he wont grasp the west coast offense. The west coast offense is quick passes and fast reads, thats not Bens forte. I know I will get attacked but so be it, I'm not lyin.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:58 am

C'mon Sca-never-laid are you seriously saying Ben isn't smart enough to run the west coast? Maybe his style isn't suited to it but to say he isn't smart enough? Brett Favre has set countless NFL passing records running the west coast offense with a wonderlic score of 22. Ben's was 25.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:19 am

Ive taken the wonderlic and its NOT a test of knowledge sir. Some of the DUMBEST questions you ever heard. Did you read what I said? Where did I say Ben was NOT SMART? I said making quick reads and getting the ball out fast is not Bens forte and ITS NOT. Hes a big play kinda qb, he likes to get it quick. A west coast offense gets it down the field gradually, taking what the defense gives you. Ben is NOT patient, thats my point. Lastly, you dont put in a new offense in a BYE week, thats the dumbest thing I have heard. Do you know how long it takes to get that offense down??? I cant believe guys cite the wunder test as a gauge for KNOWLEDGE, WOW :celebrate:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:27 am

Scalaid6 wrote:Look at all the Qbs who have SHINED in the west coast offense, they are all SMART. Not saying Ben is dumb but TRUST ME, he wont grasp the west coast offense. .

Sca-never-laid you said all west coast quarterbacks are smart AND you said Ben won't be able to grasp it. Brett Favre makes fun of himself for being a dumb redneck and he mastered it. So how do you know Ben won't be able to "GRASP" it? Were you one of his college professors? His high school coach? His college coach? Sca-never-laid are you really Bruce Arians???...right or wrong the wonderlic IS an instrument the NFL uses to gauge a players intelligence. Having seen the Wonderlic test myself Sca-never-laid I'm going to agree that there are several questions not related to football, but they do serve a purpose in measuring overall intelligence. The NY Giants and Tom Coughlin are in fact the team that places the most stock in the test. Eli Manning's score...a 39 so its no coincidence they wanted an intelligent qb running their offense and it is not the west coast system you say is sooooo daunting to learn. Do you have to have a high wonderlic score to succeed as a qb in the NFL? No Dan Marino's wonderlic...a 14. Bottom line Sca-never-laid YOU are in no position to say whether or not Ben can learn a west coast offense or any offense. McLovin has enjoyed watching grow into a Dan Marino type of leader this season. It matters not Sca-never-laid's uninformed opinion of whether or not Ben can "grasp" a west coast offense.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:04 pm

Your a clown. You dont even know the basic fundamentals of the west coast offense. Brett Favre was being sarcastic when he said that (yeah favre really views himsefl as dumb shiiish). 2nd the giants DIDNT draft Eli Manning the drafted PHILLIP RIVERS and TRADED for Eli because he REFUSED to play for the Chargers, THATS why they got Eli -Please know your facts before engaging into dialogue with me or I'll make you look like an ignoramous. Ben is not a patient Qb, he like to go for the long ball the west coast offense is a chink chink down the field offense and THATS what Ben wont be able to grasp. I have NO problems speaking my mind, if I meant Ben was dumb I would have said so but I didnt. You post on another thread about "people arent nice here anymore etc". MAN UP and validate your points and people wont mess with you. LIKE ME! :celebrate:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:11 pm

McLovin likes you Sca-never-laid you're a lone wolf on here...however please don't assume McLovin didn't know Eli was traded from Chargers...maybe Steelerette didn't know that but McLovin did and everything other thing there is to know about the draft...McLovin lives for it. I don't have all day to type every minute detail. Accorsi said he and Coughlin had Eli top qb and they went and got him...but not just for talent but because Coughlin drafts smart football players just as his mentor Bill Parcells does. You're point is and was taken several posts ago that Ben not suited for west coast...you're the one who said he couldn't grasp it which to me means you think he couldn't understand its terminology. I think he could understand it...but to your point Sca-never-laid that system does not play to his strength of standing in pocket (sometimes too long) and never giving up on a play.

Return to Stillers Talk