Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Matt Spaeth, 6 catches 3 TDs, recovering last year still!

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Matt Spaeth, 6 catches 3 TDs, recovering last year still!

Postby Hi5Steeler » Wed May 28, 2008 5:07 pm

Steelers' Spaeth gains strength, confidence
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Matt Spaeth is a lot more confident, and not just because the second-year tight end has a better grasp of the Steelers' playbook.
At this time last year, Spaeth was not only learning a new offense, he also was trying to regain the strength he had lost after undergoing reconstructive shoulder surgery after his senior season at the University of Minnesota.

"This is probably the best I've felt in a long time," Spaeth said Tuesday after a Steelers' OTA practice at their South Side facility.

Spaeth, a third-round pick in 2007, started six games as a rookie, but the Steelers used the 6-foot-7, 270-pounder primarily as a blocking tight end.

He finished the season with just six catches (though three of them were for touchdowns) for 41 yards, and he is hoping to become a bigger part of the passing game this season.
"I'm just going out here every day and trying to prove myself and show them I can do different things," Spaeth said, "and do them well so, hopefully, my role will be expanded."

Smith still progressing

Aaron Smith has been limited during offseason practices, but the veteran defensive end should be ready to go when training camp starts in late July.

Smith, who is recovering from a torn bicep that ended his 2007 season last December, has been participating in some individual drills.

"I think I'm ahead (of schedule)," he said. "We'll see."

Practice Squad

Re: Matt Spaeth, 6 catches 3 TDs, recovering last year still!

Postby Steel Frame » Wed May 28, 2008 9:13 pm

He is one of the many weapons that are on the Stillers' new offense... but will Ben have any time to throw it to him?
"It is what it is."
-Mike Tomlin

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Matt Spaeth, 6 catches 3 TDs, recovering last year still!

Postby Hi5Steeler » Thu May 29, 2008 2:48 am

mendenhall is a kick ass blocker. with him and spaeth both blocking and new weapon sweed out there opposing defenses wont know where to run to.

Return to Stillers Talk