Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Ravens target Ben.

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Ravens target Ben.

Postby thesteelhammer » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:34 pm

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/articles/2008/09/26/sports/bsports092608.txt

Here's a look into the mind of the enemy.
Ravens players seem to think we'll have the problem fixed.
Agree or disagree?

Ravens defense targets Steelers' Roethlisberger

By Aaron Wilson, Times Staff Writer Friday, September 26, 2008

OWINGS MILLS — Ben Roethlisberger was practically a broken man after a rampaging Philadelphia Eagles defense was done with him Sunday as the Pittsburgh Steelers’ imposing quarterback was chopped to the ground for eight sacks.

As they prepare for a pivotal Monday night game against the Steelers at Heinz Field, the Baltimore Ravens’ top-ranked defense would like nothing more than to duplicate a siege that left Roethlisberger with a bandaged right hand following a 15-6 loss to the Eagles.

Afterward, the Steelers were relieved that Roethlisberger didn’t have any broken bones and was able to walk under his own power. Backup Byron Leftwich was sacked once after Roethlisberger left the game.

“Hopefully, we can just do the same thing,” Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata said.

Roethlisberger lost two fumbles, threw his first interception of the season and gave up a safety when he was penalized for intentional grounding while falling to the ground in his end zone. It could have easily been twice as many sacks if not for penalties and a yard gained on several sequences. During a second quarter sequence, the Eagles sacked Roethlisberger three times in five plays.

It was such a bad performance against Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson’s complicated blitz packages that Steelers tackle Willie Colon told Pittsburgh reporters: “We got the dog kicked out of us. We got our butt kicked, plain and simple.”

Featuring pass rushers like outside linebackers Terrell Suggs and Bart Scott and defensive end Trevor Pryce, the Ravens are capable of generating a strong pass rush and have six sacks this year.

Is it realistic to expect the Ravens to similarly victimize the Steelers?

“Very seldom are teams going to make the same mistake twice,” said Suggs, who posted two sacks against the Cleveland Browns. “I know on the plane ride home when they were watching it, saying, ‘This is what we can’t do anymore.’ You’ve got to protect your quarterback.

“It was a good game to watch, but I don’t think there is anything we can take from it because they’ve seen it once now and they’re on to it. Boom, they’re fixing it.”

The Ravens and the Eagles have different defensive alignments. Baltimore lines up in a 3-4 most of the time, and the Eagles run a 4-3 as their base defense.

From the Eagles’ multiple fronts, anyone can be involved in the blitz.

“Everybody knows the Philadelphia defense will bring pressure, and they just couldn’t handle the pressure,” defensive end Marques Douglas said. “Philadelphia has a completely different style of defense than ours. You can’t go out of the box to simulate what they did. We have to stay true to form.”

Added middle linebacker Ray Lewis: “Of course, they’re going to go back and correct whatever there is to correct. So, if you try to go and emulate the same thing, then you can get beat doing the same thing.”

The Eagles left Roethlisberger on the turf more often than not. At first, he looked confused. Eventually, he seemed resigned that he was going to be hit.

“Was I surprised to see Roethlisberger on the ground that many times?” Suggs said. “If a team’s doing different stuff it can happen.

“I don’t think Pittsburgh is worried about their protection at this point. They just gave up a lot more sacks than they like to.”

In a 27-0 win over the Steelers on Nov. 26, 2006, Scott drilled Roethlisberger into the turf in one of the hardest hits of the season as the Ravens produced nine sacks. The Ravens are expecting the Steelers to employ maximum-protection schemes, including chip-blocking assistance to provide more time for Roethlisberger.

“He’s not going to get hit like that again,” defensive end Trevor Pryce said. “Whatever they were going through, they’ll fix it. I think Philly kind of caught them off-guard.

“You can expect a lot of things, like getting rid of the ball quicker. You can expect him to be sharper. That game might have gotten them back on track. I don’t know what to expect.”

The Steelers are 1-4 when Roethlisberger is sacked six or more times. The Ravens sacked him three times last season in a 38-7 Monday night loss. He was rested in the regular-season finale.

“Any team that watches this tape right now is going to understand we’re suffering with the blitz coming at us and if we don’t get it done, they’re going to blitz the hell out of us,” Colon said.

Roethlisberger attributed the protection problems to communication issues. He’s already anticipating a heavy pass rush from the Ravens, but expects the blocking to hold up much better than it did against Philadelphia.

Not listed on the injury report, Roethlisberger said his hand isn’t bothering him.

At 6-foot-5, 241 pounds, Roethlisberger presents a large target in the pocket. However, he’s difficult to tackle and slipped away from several potential sacks against Baltimore last year. He has scrambled for eight career touchdown runs.

Roethlisberger has been sacked 158 times in five seasons, including a dozen in three games this year.

“His strength makes him hard to sack,” Pryce said. “He’s bigger than I am and that makes him not so much slippery, but like trying to tackle the stationary tackling dummy. You’re going to bounce off it. He’s a big, strong dude.

“It’s hard to get him down. He only goes down when it’s the last viable option. If there’s nothing else available, he’ll let you lay him on the ground. But you’re not going to tackle him. He’s too big and strong.”

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Ravens target Ben.

Postby Scalaid6 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:51 pm

158 sacks in 5 years? HMMMMMMMMMMM

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:48 am

All problems are usually fixed for the Stillers at home and playing on Monday night.

The Steelers will win handily, I think.

The energy and focus the team will bring to this game will deFlocculate the fluffed-up Ratbird feathers.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:33 am

"“He’s not going to get hit like that again,” defensive end Trevor Pryce said. “Whatever they were going through, they’ll fix it. I think Philly kind of caught them off-guard."

I don't know about that. When your OL is as bad as ours is it's not that easy to fix things. Historically just look at the David Carr situation in Houston. Team after team clobbered him and the Texans weren't able to fix anything.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby jstallworth82 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:00 am

Yeah, They were supposed to beat the Eagles"Handily" too.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:25 am

Its not like we lost to a BAD team the Eagles are GOOD and Jim Johnson is one of the most respected D Co ordinators in the business. But what I dont understand is with Lebeau on the staff and his complex blitz packages how are we confused with anything any other defense throws at us? He shoulda been running to the O-Line coah with suggestions etc. If Ben gets that ball out of his hand quick we will be ok. That was Vicks, Kordells problem too. Two of the most elusive Qbs in the history of the league but they took LOTS of sacks due to processing the information too slow.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:24 am

I'm hoping the Stillers have the problem fixed in time for Monday night and beyond. If not, I'm going to have to kick their ass because I'm sick of it! It's painful to watch, and I know our O-Line and Ben can do much better. I'm hoping our offense is so pissed off and embarrassed by their performance last week that they go out there and roast the Ratbirds. GO STILLERS! :subngtowl:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:32 am

Good Post Steelerette

Practice Squad

Postby Scarletfire1970 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:41 am

Coke Oven wrote:"“He’s not going to get hit like that again,” defensive end Trevor Pryce said. “Whatever they were going through, they’ll fix it. I think Philly kind of caught them off-guard."

I don't know about that. When your OL is as bad as ours is it's not that easy to fix things. Historically just look at the David Carr situation in Houston. Team after team clobbered him and the Texans weren't able to fix anything.

Yeah I agree with this. We had "protection problems" in 06 against the Ravens. We weren't able to fix that for the second game against them. We have an insider at another board who drops by with some information every so often. His recent post indicated that Ben should not take the blame for that loss last week. Some of the sports beat writers that blame him should be embarrassed.

Here is basically what he said:

Don't be mislead that Ben Roesthlisberger should take the blame. A few sport beat writers should be embarrased to even mention this. They should be asking; 1. Why isn't Kirby Wilson allowed to instill a blocking philosophy in his RB's and FB's? This is Wilson's specialty and he is well known throughout the NFL for this. We do not have one backer on this team who can block. 2. Why are our OL not working out with strength exercises when they are constantly overpowered at the LOS? Marvel works out and even did it with a bad back. 3. Why does Arians install complicated patterns and blocking calls on teams who have stacked the short zone and blitzing 5-6 men in gaps? Why spread patterns running into flooded zones that take 4-5 seconds to develope with no outlet. Coach Arian's counter to a blitz is a screen to a slot receiver who is the best blocker on the offense. You can say that Ben should audible but there are no plays to counter blitzing teams because we have no backs who can block and an offensive line that is too involved with the hot tub than study their assignments and get stronger. You cannot play Steeler Football if you are not tough and Ben Roesthlisberger is the toughest guy on this team.

He's also high on Max Starks. Says he is the smartest olineman we have. Says he is really good at making reads and coordinating assignments.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:32 am

Well there are ALOT of beat writers who should be ashamed because I googled "Ben Roethlisberger holds the ball too long" and got MANY, not a few but MANY writers who agree with me. Lastly, who is your friend? what makes him more credible than experts? (notably me). Why no link? Dont get me wrong, I am not saying its ALL BENS FAULT, of course alot of the time the lineman whiff etc, I'm not blind. Just saying its mighty ironic when hes out the sacks go down.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby JumboHeadYouks » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:50 am

Scalaid6 wrote:Well there are ALOT of beat writers who should be ashamed because I googled "Ben Roethlisberger holds the ball too long" and got MANY, not a few but MANY writers who agree with me. Lastly, who is your friend? what makes him more credible than experts? (notably me). Why no link? Dont get me wrong, I am not saying its ALL BENS FAULT, of course alot of the time the lineman whiff etc, I'm not blind. Just saying its mighty ironic when hes out the sacks go down.

Next we will hear Ben holds onto the ball and takes sacks rather than throw int's to fuck up his QB rating right?

How about our wideouts? Holmes hasn't done shit and he and Dipshit-Nate are fucking up their routes?? Hmmm??? I'll Wait......

How about the fact that Arians continued to have Ben take 5 step drops when it was obvious the sieve-like line of ours couldn't hold their blocks for a two-step drop??? Hmm...I'll wait.......

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:33 am

jstallworth82 wrote:Yeah, They were supposed to beat the Eagles"Handily" too.

Who of significance made that claim or prediction?

Practice Squad

Postby Scarletfire1970 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:14 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:Well there are ALOT of beat writers who should be ashamed because I googled "Ben Roethlisberger holds the ball too long" and got MANY, not a few but MANY writers who agree with me. Lastly, who is your friend? what makes him more credible than experts? (notably me). Why no link? Dont get me wrong, I am not saying its ALL BENS FAULT, of course alot of the time the lineman whiff etc, I'm not blind. Just saying its mighty ironic when hes out the sacks go down.

He's not a friend, he's an insider who posts on a board I frequent. I gave you the exact quote, you don't need a link. I'd rather not give the link to that site here out of respect for the posters there. I don't think they'd appreciate posters like yourself who seem to have an agenda. There are quite a few there with difference of opinions and blame Ben to at least some extent, but the difference is they don't have an agenda. They don't post specifically to bash one player, like yourself.

That said, at least you are willing to admit it isn't all the QBs fault. There were times that he could have made better decisions or thrown the ball away. He does need to get better reading defenses and recognizing the hot receiver. That will come with more experience. But I still think the bigger issue with the offense is the oline and the coaching/play calling.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:17 pm

Scarletfire1970 wrote:He's not a friend, he's an insider who posts on a board I frequent. I gave you the exact quote, you don't need a link. I'd rather not give the link to that site here out of respect for the posters there. I don't think they'd appreciate posters like yourself who seem to have an agenda.

Scarletfire is following this boards rules.
We do not allow links to other fan sites or their boards.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby The Fan Of STEEL » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:35 pm

I also believe that many of the Steelers sack problems have been because Ben is holding the ball way to damn long. He really needs to work on a quick 2-3 step dropback. When teams come at him like the Eagles did, he can get rid of the ball quick and burn the defense. The O-line was also to blame. There were obviously alot of problems on Kendolls side of the line and quite a few times defenders came through untouched. Looking at the game, I don't see the line getting beat one on one, I see a line getting torched by speedy defenders and a lack of our line communicating and understanding their role. It was sickening because our defense kept us in that game until the very end.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:24 pm

Dont know why people have issues with the truth, he does hold the ball too long. As I told the guy who talked to me on aim this morning, (JumboHeadYouks) in the Pro Bowl the NFC had TWO sacks and GUESS WHO GOT SACKED TWICE? YEP, our beloved Qb. Now keep in mind it is illegal to blitz in the Probowl. Every Lineman is GOOD in the Pro Bowl.... SIGH I digress.

In regards to links from other sites. Who knew it was a fan site? I thought it was a columnist, I'm not trying to get anyone to break any rules, I'm into substantiation thats why I asked for the link. Simple

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:25 pm

I have an agenda? Someone please explain what my agenda is. Do the blogges who constantly tell the truth about the line and coaches have an agenda too? Just curious.

Return to Stillers Talk