Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Mendy's text to Rice

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Mendy's text to Rice

Postby Nashsteeler » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Should provide some decent BB material for the ravens. Rookie mistake .

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3610947

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie running back Rashard Mendenhall has been fairly subdued in front of the media this week, but a little trash-talking among friends made its way to division rival Baltimore.

Not a good thing.

He said later that he was just joking, but it's too late. Thanks for the bulletin-board material, rookie.
-- Ravens LB Bart Scott, reacting to Steelers' Rashard Mendenhall (above)

The first-round pick from Illinois, whose first career start will come against the Ravens on "Monday Night Football," recently sent a text message to friend and Ravens rookie tailback Ray Rice saying he's going to have a big game against the NFL's top-ranked defense.

Obviously, Rice, who often praises the Ravens' defense as "scary," passed the text message along to his teammates, who are not taking Mendenhall's proclamation lightly.

"He said later that he was just joking, but it's too late,'' Ravens linebacker Bart Scott said. "Thanks for the bulletin-board material, rookie."

A tailback having a big game against Baltimore, by the way, is a rarity.

The Ravens haven't allowed a 100-yard rusher in 21 straight games, the longest active streak in the league. Baltimore has given up an average of just 161.5 yards through its first two games, 72.5 fewer than the league's No. 2 unit -- which belongs to Pittsburgh (234.0). The Ravens have had a top-10 defense in each of the past five seasons.

Mendenhall, who will start in place of injured Willie Parker, has carried only 10 times for 28 yards as Parker's backup, but the rookie expects a significant workload on Monday night.

Parker, the AFC's second-leading rusher, sprained his left knee late in the Steelers' loss to the Eagles last week.

This game between Baltimore (2-0) and Pittsburgh (2-1) could determine sole possession of first place in the AFC North. The teams split their two games last season.

James Walker covers the AFC North for ESPN.com.

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Mendy's text to Rice

Postby Stillustronic » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:04 pm

He should have texted that he'd give Bart Scott a ride for 20 yards or so until he shits and falls back in it. Then the media would have a real story. (yawn)

Seasoned Veteran

Postby JumboHeadYouks » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:10 pm

I wonder if Bart has cleared the cobwebs from the lethal hit Hines laid upon him... I know he cried about it for quite some time. Here's hoping Hines lays out the crybaby again Monday night.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:40 am

Let's see, if the Ravens get so pissed off raging mad at Mendy, so much so that they're after him all night and are unable to think straight, would that take some of the heat and attention off of Ben? Just a thought.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:42 am

And not a good thought at that. All the Ravens will do is put 8 in the box and take away the run and T off on the pass. Rashard reminds me of Hershel Walker (not just the number) but the running style. Once he gets his speed built up hes a powerful back. I see alot of tacklers hitting him low, I'd like to see him jump over alot of those guys and make them would be tacklers instead of tacklers

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:54 pm

Mendy has done exactly jack nuttin' as a pro and as such, he doesn't need to talk shit to a defense that hasn't allowed a 100-yd rusher in 21 games.... especially after his offensive line was less effective than a set of blocking dummies. Hopefully he doesn't pull a Smith and choke his ass off after running his mouth.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:01 pm

I think Mendenhall has the talent to get 100 yards against the Rats, and might actually do it.

But bulletin board material provided by a rookie is a significant gift to an opponent.

So, this is a huge game.

We will either see Mendy's true value as a surprise #1 pick, or we will see a rookie with question marks and a lot to learn about life in the NFL.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:18 pm

Nel wrote:I think Mendenhall has the talent to get 100 yards against the Rats, and might actually do it.

You speak true, Nel, he could very well do it. But after a terrible o-line performance and having done nothing as a pro, it's not wise to paint the bulls eye on yourself.

I sure hope he steps up and that he doesn't try so hard that he becomes fumble prone.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:03 pm

trenches wrote:
Nel wrote:I think Mendenhall has the talent to get 100 yards against the Rats, and might actually do it.

You speak true, Nel, he could very well do it. But after a terrible o-line performance and having done nothing as a pro, it's not wise to paint the bulls eye on yourself.

I sure hope he steps up and that he doesn't try so hard that he becomes fumble prone.

To me, Mendy's running instincts and lateral moves and feet look better than Parker, but he does not have Parker's speed.

I think he will rip off a lot of 5-8 yard runs, trenches.

I hear you about the bullseye on myself, so this is a test me for me too. I think he will break the Rat streak!

If I am wrong, then I will stop that kind of talking. :D

Grizzled Veteran

Postby deltadweller » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:34 pm

He sent a text to a friend on the rat birds. BFD If they need that to get all wired, well.......that's what makes them as poor as they are.

Practice Squad

Postby StillCanadian » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:44 pm

who cares, play football. Media makes too much out of nothing.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby TheOldRanger » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:58 am

I mentioned on another thread that Terrell Suggs said that the Ravens had no respect for and did not fear Pittsburgh's running game at all on his radio show last Thursday. I wish that could be used as BB material....he was arrogant and even chuckled as he mentioned Willie Parker's name. I hate the Ravens more than I hate death, famine, and pestilence.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby SteelerPower » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:53 am

The Steelers destroyed the Ravens Week 9 of last season. I don't see how the Rats are doing this good. Isn't their defense the same as last year??? Rolle will not play for this game so that will be helpful. They can go after Mendy all they want because if Ben gets good protection, it's going to be a Pittsburgh Air Show.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby El Nino » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:01 pm

bart scott sucks balls

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:56 pm

SteelerPower wrote: I don't see how the Rats are doing this good. Isn't their defense the same as last year???

The Ravens have played two home games, against Cleveland and Cincinnati, two teams with a combined total number of victories = 1.

This will be the Ravens' first road game and serious test of the season.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Nashsteeler » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:11 pm

Ready for some goddamn football tonight (hate waiting the whole weekend for the Steelers to play) and hoping Mendy lives up to his text.

that's all I got.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:19 pm

I'm ready for a Ravens ass whippin'. I think Mendy will need to weather an early storm... after surviving that he'll have a chance to shine.

If Flarians has any sense, he'll play action to Mendy early to take advantage of a team waiting to expose the rookie. He'll also get the TE's involved early to soften the defensive front and aggressive LB play.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:26 am

He mouthed off so they busted his fuckin shoulder and put him out for the season. I think he's done, period.

Return to Stillers Talk