Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » nfl.com video of our offensive line getting shredded sunday

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

nfl.com video of our offensive line getting shredded sunday

Postby darthsteel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:51 pm

ben left with left with zero time to even consider throwing the ball away, this sucks. Looks to me like you cant correct this in 1 week or even 8 weeks!

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b1e56c

Grizzled Veteran

Re: nfl.com video of our offensive line getting shredded sunday

Postby Scalaid6 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:27 pm

Its called look at the blitz coming and call a hot route. Had he done that at the goal line it would have changed Heaths route from a long post to a short slant. GUARANTEE you will see this adjustment on Monday Night. Look at backup Charlie Batch view the blitz call a hot route and deliver the ball quick to defeat the blitz. Great execution and how it is to be done.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8059d5ab

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:13 pm

your always good for a laugh scaly! :D

yuo would think someone in the media, former pros on the nfl network ect... would have broke this by now, but luckily we have scaly showing us the truth! lol :lol:
Last edited by darthsteel on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:15 pm

So are you Crossdresser

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:17 pm

I'm glad you posted that footage because it shows Tomlin in another light for all of you homers who like to blame coaches for everything.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:37 am

Hey, Scalaid...

The second play there shows seven blockers (7!) unable to stop four Philly defensive linemen, thus giving up a safety.

Seven blockers plus a QB -- with a tight end in the backfield. That's max protect. Eight people bunched up.

That leaves you with three receivers.

Unless Ben changes the play or formation at the line, there really AREN'T any hot routes....and if four defenders are overwhelming seven blockers, that leaves seven defensive players back to blanket three receivers and cover those folks heading into the flat.

When you are being absolutely manhandled like that in the trenches, YOU HAVE NO PLAN B! :sushootem:

No team in football can survive that kind of breakdown. No hot route will work. No trap. No draw. No Charlie Batch. No nobody. When your front seven are getting killed by your opponent's front four - when you are in the end zone - and your opponent has seven back to guard your three plus whatever hot routes or flat patterns you have, you are fucked. You are playing three men short.....and you're dead meat, pal.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:40 am

Then why was he trying to throw the Ball to Mewelde then? CAUSE HE WAS OPEN. He just saw him too late.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:46 am

Look at the sack at the 9:00 2nd qtr. Look at the play. The 2 inside backers SHOW BLITZ, at this time Ben has to hot route to a quick pass, EXACTLY like he did at the 6:47 mark of the same qtr as he hit Nate in the flats. Now go to the 6:00 mark same quarter. This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about in his play. The Eagles SHOW blitz and Ben drops back and instead of hitting his hot route HINES, he takes his eyes off the field and attaches them to the rush and is sacked PLUS he fumbles, EAGLES BALL. Please look at that play and tell me Hines is not open on a little button hook across the middle. Ben has to throw that ball.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:38 am

Ben could get some help with this if the coaches would get the play in before 12 seconds on the play clock.

Also, on several other occasions, the RECEIVERS messed up which one of them was hot...on several sacks we had NO ONE running a route under 10 yards.

Finally, the snap count is never varied...no matter whether Ben or Lefty is in there.

Bad play calls, miscommunications on the line, too long to get to the line, unvaried snap counts.

This points to a systematic breakdown, not just Ben's breakdowns, scalaid.

Stop trying to blame it all on Ben.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby steelwest » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:39 pm

Nice video. Thanks.

The plays show two things. On the safety, Colon just gets abused and never touches his guy. We had two safety valves in the backfield (Moore and Miller), and they are so well coached that they block no one. Brian Griese threw 67 times without being sacked. He obviously does not have the swinging gate of Colon on his line. We must lead the league in whiff blocks. This is exactly what happened to Peyton Manning when the Steelers beat the Colts during the Super Bowl run. Joey Porter just ran by their left tackle time and again --resulting in Manning getting mauled.

The big issue that bothers me is when it was rushing four, Philly was doing what OUR DEFENSE DOES in terms of selecting which apparent rushers not to send. If we are so badly prepared in week three to deal with what we do on defense, I am really concerned about the schemes run by the coaching staff. You need to practice what your are going to do to get it right. It looked like we had never done that.

As to the mid-field blitz play, it looked like Ben could have taken a shot at hitting Miller in the middle before Ben was fully set. This was a long developing play (multistep drop), however, and thus was tailor made for a blitz. We should be able to cure this one next time though. God help us if we cannot.

Finally, Moore strikes me as being too small to be of real help in the backfield on blitz pick up. So even if he hits someone, I am not sure that will help. We will see, I guess.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:51 pm

@Jeemie,
You see what I have done is picked out individual plays and times of the game and chronicled the chain of events as they happened. What you are doing is throwing blame without proper justification. For example you said "If the coaches would get the play in before :12". First of all only ONE COACH calls plays in Bens ear and thats Arians so COACHES (plural) dont apply. Secondly, how do you know they didnt get the play in until :12?? What quarter? What time of the quarter? These variables need to be known for someone to validate your position, just mere assertions are not proof. Third, the receivers go on a route designed in the play called. For example :"Shot half back protect Z wrap y post X streak tight flag 2nd hut". This is a Shotgun TRIPS formation: 3 Wrs plus one TE. The Z runs a button hook (he will be the hot route due to having shortest route but also depending on how the defense is aligned), The "Y' runs a post, the "X" runs a go route and the TE a flag (corner route) and the Hb stays in to protect the Qb, the count is on 2. This is not a Steelers play, this is one from College trust me Steelers are more complex just using this play to drive home my point. The wrs CANT change the route called in the play UNLESS the Qb audibles (changes the play) or he designates them for a hot route(changes their route to fit the defense being presented). Once the play is called the QUARTERBACK is the only person who can change the play. If the QB gets the most money, the most praise, why shouldnt he get the most blame as well??

Seasoned Veteran

Postby steelwest » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:07 pm

What is with the audible issue? On the safety play, the Steelers had seven blockers ready and the defense showed six rushers. After the snap, the defense dropped two rushers. As we had seven blockers, we were set for the blitz so no audible should have been necessary. The play we called in the huddle also obviously was designed to provide for blitz pick up.

All that happened was Colon whiffed on his block, Ben had to move quickly, and seven guys were unable to block four. No audible can cure this. As designed, and with the Eagles dropping two rushers, Ben should have had all day to throw. He did not because our line blew it.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:23 pm

Your correct a audible was not required but you always hot route to cover your back as a rule vs the blitz

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Steel_Buckeye » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:11 pm

Regardless of whom did what wrong, the fact that Moore and Miller just stood there and blocked nobody looked real bad. They should be ashamed of themselves while watching the film on this one. Just bad!
I_STEEL_BELIEVE

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:42 pm

I agree, I believe blame should be spread around and NOT just put on the line. But MOST of you guys hesitate to blame the Qb for anything and thats just dishonesty. They all SUCKED.

Return to Stillers Talk