Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » The baby and the bath water.

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

The baby and the bath water.

Postby SNW » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:22 pm

Wow, the O got owned by Philly. No one gets a pass from A(Airens) to Z(Zierlein).

Now, the D on the other hand, only allowed 13. To a team at home, that could not afford a loss(having just lost a division game), that scored 38 the week before. They got moved on alot in the first half but for only 10 and only allowed 3 after that. That's pretty impressive, but we(some of us) are Steelers fans and have seen awsome D wasted before.

The special teams are not special but steady and competent are attributes I can live with until the O gets fixed.

I know the problem is the way the team got beat and I see a lot of people standing on the edge of the ship just waiting for a loss next week so they can avoid the rush and jump. I say go ahead now, better yet let me give you a push, who needs you. I'm just as sick as anyone, but that's pretty much after every loss, be it by 1 or 100.

Baltimore is out there licking there chops, but Flacco is not McNabb, and the Steelers D will be there again, at home, at night, in throwback jerseys, against an opponent they play twice every year. The 9 points that the Steelers could have scored at Philly will likely be enough Monday night.

After Monday the Steelers will be 3-1 and 2-0 in the Division (1st place by the way). Be strong or get lost.
By the way, the Cowboys band wagon is getting kind of crowded so go now, though there's lots of room on New Englands.

Seasoned Veteran

Re: The baby and the bath water.

Postby Teegre » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:11 pm

Am i the only one who is a little concerned about the lack of pressure on the QB???

I will give LBeau this: his bend but don't break philiosophy worked...because of three turnovers. But, I woudl rather have constant pressure (from the D-line & LBs) than being bailed out by the DBs any day of the week.

By the way, if someone has LeBeau's email address, please tell him that the following play no longer works:
Farrior & Foote criss-cross...get stopped...and allow the middle of the field to be wide open.

I know that i am preaching the choir, but...why is the quicker (& more explosive) Lawarence Timmons not playing???

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:13 am

"I know that i am preaching the choir, but...why is the quicker (& more explosive) Lawarence Timmons not playing???"

Seems to be the Steeler way. Someone gets in coach's doghouse sit him on the bench. I used to fault Cowher for doing that but now Tomlin seems to do it also.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:59 pm

SNW wrote:After Monday the Steelers will be 3-1 and 2-0 in the Division (1st place by the way). Be strong or get lost.

Preach it, brother! :cheers: :subngtowl:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Teegre » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:55 pm

Coke Oven wrote:"Seems to be the Steeler way. Someone gets in coach's doghouse sit him on the bench. I used to fault Cowher for doing that but now Tomlin seems to do it also.

Anthony Smith is probably the only player who deserves to be in a dog-house.
Did you see him on Sunday, on a punt return, he was jabbering at the guy who called fair catch.
I held my breath, waiting for (another) dumb penalty by this guy.

I digress...back to Timmons.

Maybe Foote has "revealing" photos of Tomlin. :x

Seasoned Veteran

Postby UKBlackNGold » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:22 am

Really, . . . . since Cowher took over and our defense started to shape up, our D has always been good enough to take us deep into the playoffs, it's continually let down by the offense.

It's lost us numerous championship games and even a SB, and it's in a worse state now than it's ever been, even though
we've got loads of talent to exploit!!

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Teegre » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:33 am

UKBlackNGold wrote:Really, . . . . since Cowher took over and our defense started to shape up, our D has always been good enough to take us deep into the playoffs, it's continually let down by the offense.

It's lost us numerous championship games and even a SB, and it's in a worse state now than it's ever been, even though
we've got loads of talent to exploit!!

Excellent point. Using the AFC Championship Games (and the 1995 & 2005 SBs) as examples:

1994: Eric Green does not roll into the end-zone. Dennis Gibson ruins my life.

1995: Argh. ['Nuff said about that one.]

1997: Kordell throws an INT...three times, when Bettis should have gotten the ball ad nauseam.

2001: Field goal blocked and returned.

2004: Ben, as a rookie, throws INT to the Hot Rod.

2005: Ben has the best play-off run by a QB (that I can remember). FWP has a record setting run in the SB. Result: #5.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:03 am

Sorry Cowher didnt shape up the D Dom Capers, Jim Haslett and Lebeau (2 stints) did. I agree WE NEED PRESSURE AND TIMMONS ON THE FIELD. Our Dbs just let the wr catch it they dont break on the ball (do you hear that Ike/Deshea??) that is excluding Mcfadden and Troy.

Return to Stillers Talk