Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Pittsburgh sports media: Ass kissing woosies!

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Pittsburgh sports media: Ass kissing woosies!

Postby bigjoespompano » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:16 am

seriously, what the hell is up with the Pittsburgh sports media and their constant 'softballs' concerning this team??? If this was New York or any other major metro area, the media would be FEASTING on Tomlin's ass. As it is, we get nothing but hugs and kisses for poor little Mikey and his 'abused' team! Boo Freakin Hoo.

When are any of the sports writers (*cough* *cough*) in Pittsburgh gonna grow a set and begin calling people out?? Why won't they stand up and point the finger of actual blame at somebody? What the HELL are they afraid of? Hells bells, I barely read that on-line rag anymore. At least here I can get all sides of the 'debate' and make my own decisions.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Pittsburgh sports media: Ass kissing woosies!

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:26 am

I agree. But what coach actually PLAYS THE GAME? Did Tomlin fumble twice or did Ben? Did Tomlin throw the ball into double coverage and get picked or did Ben? Did Tomlin give the Eagles two points by getting sacked in the endzone and intentional grounding and give them 2 points to make it a two possession game or did Ben? So we are to get on the coach for ONE loss and not going for a fg when we needed a td AND a fg? You make ALOT of sense bud. WOW

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Pittsburgh sports media: Ass kissing wussies!

Postby bigjoespompano » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:59 am

Scalaid6 wrote:I agree. But what coach actually PLAYS THE GAME? Did Tomlin fumble twice or did Ben? Did Tomlin throw the ball into double coverage and get picked or did Ben? Did Tomlin give the Eagles two points by getting sacked in the endzone and intentional grounding and give them 2 points to make it a two possession game or did Ben? So we are to get on the coach for ONE loss and not going for a fg when we needed a td AND a fg? You make ALOT of sense bud. WOW

Consider this; when a U.S. Naval vessel does something STUPID (runs over a submarine, runs a ground, etc) who is responsible? The Helmsman? The 2nd in Command? It's the Captain and no one else. He is the one that must stand and face the Board of Naval Inquiry. This also applies to civilian life. Who is actually out there 'running' the U.S.S. Steeler? It's Tomlin. Sure, that dickhead Ariens was responsible for the Offensive line but WHO is responsible for Ariens? Whom must he get 'approval' from to run his offense? If that fukking Offensive line was about to 'run that ship a ground' who should have stepped in and told the OC to 'steer in another direction?'

Look at his overall performance all of last season and look at this season thus far. The same DAMN patterns of behavior are emerging. And NOW it is beginning to 'cost' us. Ben is all fukked up from getting used as a tackling dummy. Our Premier running back is out for a couple of weeks due to an injury. We have two more highly capable RBs in reserve but did anyone ever see them on the field? I thought Moore was a "Third down Back" who was supposed to 'spot' WP so he could get some rest and relief? Mendenhall is touted as a 'bruiser' that could 'wear down a defense' with his 'punishing' style of play. All he has punished, thus far, is the bench! Who is ultimately responsible for losing WP to injury? He shouldn't have been out there EVERY FUKKIN DOWN increasing his chances that this would happen.

You had better put down the Steeler Kool -Aide and ask the bar-keep to pour you a tall frosty mug of Cold, Hard Reality. If allowed to continue on the way he is going, Tomlin is going to 'sink' this ship. Someone in the FUKKIN PITTSBURGH MEDIA better peel their lips from his ass and start asking the 'tough' questions that we all need to have answered.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:25 am

Uh I believe Tomlin inherited a team that did NOT make the playoffs sir. They were 8-8 in Cowhers last year, 11-5 before that and 6-10 before that. That is 25-23 in Cowhers last 3 years and one SB and EVERY Steelers fan will agree that Cowher should have had at least 3. Losses to Chargers 94, Broncos 97, Two times to Pats in the mellinium. You could make a case that Cowher grossly underachieved. I said you could but I wont, I'm not a coach basher, I liked Cowher, I just dont like how he stayed with that BUM Kordell so long and how he let BIG MOUTH Joey Porter over ride him at times.
Tomlin was 10-6 and won his division in his 1st season so we fire the guy? Was it Tpmlin or Arians who had 4 turnovers against the Jags? (Playoffs). I know the 4 turnovers that lead to 24 points by Ben had no bearing the only thing that had bearing on the game was the fact that Tomlin went for two late in the game. WOW. Instead of making poor pathetic excuses to bash the guy try being honest with yourself and us and just say I DONT LIKE TOMLIN, I would respect you more. At the end of the day it doesnt matter if you or I like the coach it only matters if the Rooneys like the coach and at press time they like him very much sir.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby stillchest » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:07 am

Yes, Ben played poorly in the first half of that game...played like a franchise QB in the second. Ben put the blame for the loss on himself, if you remember correctly?!

Matter of fact, Ben takes the blame for each loss...holds himself accountable and continues to work hard to get better. That's what I expect out of a franchise QB and team leader.

I think most posters are magnifying the Eagles loss entirely too much. Better games ahead, for certain.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:11 am

Scalaid6 wrote:Uh I believe Tomlin inherited a team that did NOT make the playoffs sir. They were 8-8 in Cowhers last year, 11-5 before that and 6-10 before that. That is 25-23 in Cowhers last 3 years and one SB and EVERY Steelers fan will agree that Cowher should have had at least 3. Losses to Chargers 94, Broncos 97, Two times to Pats in the mellinium. You could make a case that Cowher grossly underachieved. I said you could but I wont, I'm not a coach basher, I liked Cowher, I just dont like how he stayed with that BUM Kordell so long and how he let BIG MOUTH Joey Porter over ride him at times.
Tomlin was 10-6 and won his division in his 1st season so we fire the guy? Was it Tpmlin or Arians who had 4 turnovers against the Jags? (Playoffs). I know the 4 turnovers that lead to 24 points by Ben had no bearing the only thing that had bearing on the game was the fact that Tomlin went for two late in the game. WOW. Instead of making poor pathetic excuses to bash the guy try being honest with yourself and us and just say I DONT LIKE TOMLIN, I would respect you more. At the end of the day it doesnt matter if you or I like the coach it only matters if the Rooneys like the coach and at press time they like him very much sir.

As I have said before, coaches put their players in the position where they can make best use of their talents and make plays.

Do you truly believe Tomlin and Arians did that on Sunday?

In the Jags' game?

In the Jets' game?

In the Denver game?

As Mill asked in his essay- what IS our offensive philosophy, exactly? WHAT are we trying to accomplish?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:08 am

How can you guys be so critical of the coaching staff but dont use the same criteria for the players? Why do the ones who are to execute that gameplan get a pass? So when we win we praise Ben but if he causes us to lose hes off limits for critcism we are to blame the line, Arians and Tomlin is that it? Again, no coach took 8 sacks, no coach threw into double coverage and got picked ( and he had time on the play; watch it again) no coach fumbled twice ( mendenhall is known as a fumbler but Ben gets a pass in this regard) and no coach had poor pressence of mind in the endzone and cost us a safety. You guys keep living in make believe land I will live in the reality. Did you see the Ravens game last year on Monday Night? THATS THE BEN I WANT TO SHOW UP! And although Ben played well in the 2nd half of the Jags game so did Neil Odonnell for most of his Steeler career but do we give him a pass for his game vs the Cowboys in 95? NO! At least I'm consistent.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:27 am

Scalaid6 wrote:How can you guys be so critical of the coaching staff but dont use the same criteria for the players? Why do the ones who are to execute that gameplan get a pass? So when we win we praise Ben but if he causes us to lose hes off limits for critcism we are to blame the line, Arians and Tomlin is that it? Again, no coach took 8 sacks, no coach threw into double coverage and got picked ( and he had time on the play; watch it again) no coach fumbled twice ( mendenhall is known as a fumbler but Ben gets a pass in this regard) and no coach had poor pressence of mind in the endzone and cost us a safety. You guys keep living in make believe land I will live in the reality. Did you see the Ravens game last year on Monday Night? THATS THE BEN I WANT TO SHOW UP! And although Ben played well in the 2nd half of the Jags game so did Neil Odonnell for most of his Steeler career but do we give him a pass for his game vs the Cowboys in 95? NO! At least I'm consistent.

You are under the mistaken impression that they're being given a pass.

However, are you with this post trying to say the coaches had a good game plan installed for the Eagles' game, and then also made good adjustments when things started to go awry, and Ben was the one that fucked up their good adjustments?

If this is the argument you're trying to make, you're insane. The coaches did NOTHING useful to counter the blitz/press coverage the Eagles were showing.

Not a DAMN thing.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:13 pm

Prove that. Prove the coaches did nothing. Thats an absolute statement. So I will sit here and wait for you to substantiate that the coaches did nothing. I will substantiate that they did. As soon as Ben went out all of a sudden the Qb was getting the ball off. All of a sudden there were NO line issues. All of a sudden we were moving the ball. Did you see the Ravens game last year? Batch started for Ben (resting for playoffs) how many sacks did the line give up sir? I'll tell you how many.. ZERO! We lost that game but the fact is there were NO line problems OR sack issues and thats my point. Lets go back 51/2 years to when Tammy Maddox (yes Tammy) was our qb. Was there a line problem then? NO! So with all of that evidence it leads me to conclude that WE only have line problem or issues when Ben is not on his game. Now I will wait for you to substantiate how the coaches didnt make adjustments. Dont worry I'll wait.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:19 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:Prove that. Prove the coaches did nothing. Thats an absolute statement. So I will sit here and wait for you to substantiate that the coaches did nothing. I will substantiate that they did. As soon as Ben went out all of a sudden the Qb was getting the ball off. All of a sudden there were NO line issues. All of a sudden we were moving the ball. Did you see the Ravens game last year? Batch started for Ben (resting for playoffs) how many sacks did the line give up sir? I'll tell you how many.. ZERO! We lost that game but the fact is there were NO line problems OR sack issues and thats my point. Lets go back 51/2 years to when Tammy Maddox (yes Tammy) was our qb. Was there a line problem then? NO! So with all of that evidence it leads me to conclude that WE only have line problem or issues when Ben is not on his game. Now I will wait for you to substantiate how the coaches didnt make adjustments. Dont worry I'll wait.

I saw with my own eyes the plays that were being called, that's how I know.

No runs.

No swing passes to the flats- heck, not even any RBs sent out there on a pattern.

No pop passes to the TE.

No rollouts or anything designed to move Ben away from the pressure.

Nothing but shotgun after shotgun in the stupid bunch formation.

Do you REALLY mean to tell me you think the coaches did a good job with their playcalling on Sunday?

Honestly?

PS- what were Batch's numbers in that last Ravens' game? What defenses were called? Who was in at defense for the Ravens?

I have agreed that ben holds the ball too long and spent too much time looking at the blitz on Sunday...but that does NOT mean the coaches called a great game.

They ALL sucked on Sunday....OL...WRs...TEs...RBs...QB...and coaches.

ALL of them.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:39 pm

Batchs Numbers were 16-31 218 2td and 2 picks. The Ravens starting D was in there except Ray Lewis who was hurt. And did they ever blitz his arse. BUT Charlie gets rid of the ball fast and defeats it. Please look at the 1:05 mark of the video THIS IS WHAT BEN NEEDS TO DO. Hot route and throw it quick. Also, at the 1:35 mark another all out blitz and again he hot routes and gets the ball out quick and defeats it. NO Line issues, why? Because the Qb gets the ball out fast. This is the proper way to beat pressure people made popular by Joe Montana and the greats. NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=2 ... week=REG17

Return to Stillers Talk