Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Does Limas Sweed suck that bad, and what about Mendanhall?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Does Limas Sweed suck that bad, and what about Mendanhall?

Postby BigE » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:01 pm

Just wondering what yinz all thought about Sweed? We have gotten absolutely no production from our #3 and #4 receivers so far this year, and it's hard for me to believe that Limas Sweed is that bad. And in regards to Rashard, I see teams like Dallas (with Felix Jones), the Titans (with Chris Johnson), the Bears (with Matt Forte) and have to wonder to myself why this young kid is not being used. I realize that in the case of Chris Johnson and Matt Forte, they are the feature backs in those offenses. But Marion Barber is the feature back with the Cowgirls, yet Jones get many touches per game. He is involved in both the running and passing games. More proof that our idiot offensive coordinator has no clue how to get the most of the talent that has been given to him.

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Does Limas Sweed suck that bad, and what about Mendanhall?

Postby UKBlackNGold » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:14 pm

It's ridiculous that these two guys aren't getting their uniforms dirty!!

I seem to recall we had a rookie QB thrown in at the deep end a few years back, . . . .

and lets just say he did ok, and that was at the most important position on the field!!

Wake up coach Tomlin please! :|

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:35 pm

Why did Been play in his rookie year? BECAUSE OF AN INJURY TO MADDOX and Batch. Now parker is injured and Mendenhall will play. Are you guys actual fans or just that misinformed? Limas is a wr and he had MANY drops in preseason. Did he look ready to play fo you? He didnt to me. Lastly, name the last time we have had contributions from a rookie wr. The only one I can think of is Louie Lipps. Anyone else didnt contribute till the 2nd or 3rd season.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby stillchest » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:44 pm

I think Rashard might be a better match up vs the Ravens...bigger and runs with more power than Willie.

Perhaps as we, move further into the season....we will see Sweed get some reps. I agree, Sweed is by no means ready to contribute on a regular basis...and obviously is not familiar with our offensive schemes.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:56 pm

santoni holmes
2006 (16-4): Played in all 16 games as a rookie, starting the final four contests…finished with 49 catches for 824 yards (16.8 avg.) with two touchdowns…his 49 catches and 824 yards were second on the team…his 824 receiving yards were the second-highest total for a rookie in team history

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby stillchest » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:06 pm

Yep, nice work Darth.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:31 pm

I remember that as well Darth but how many drops did he have? Read ANY story on holmes and he will ADMIT, he was not prepared as a rookie to play. He had 2 tds and FIVE fumbles (see Bengals game). Yes he was ok but nothing to write home about. Hes the man now. My point is it is rare that a rookie can come in and contribute in a big way. Of course there is always an exception to the rule but Santonio is not that exception.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:13 pm

BigE wrote:We have gotten absolutely no production from our #3 and #4 receivers so far this year, and it's hard for me to believe that Limas Sweed is that bad.

Nate Washington played against the Eagles and, miraculously, actually caught a few passes. :lol:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:27 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:I remember that as well Darth but how many drops did he have? Read ANY story on holmes and he will ADMIT, he was not prepared as a rookie to play. He had 2 tds and FIVE fumbles (see Bengals game). Yes he was ok but nothing to write home about. Hes the man now. My point is it is rare that a rookie can come in and contribute in a big way. Of course there is always an exception to the rule but Santonio is not that exception.

49 catches and 800 yds is a contribution any way you slice it, considering how many times the stillers put theball in the air!

I did not say limas should be playing , but facts are holmes played and was a factor with 49 catches.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:18 pm

Limas at this point is NOT Holmes nor is he ready. You act like 49 receptions is Pro Bowl material, your kidding right? Factors are starters sir. Did Holmes start? His best best season was last year and he had 52. Hines had over 100 with that BUM Kordell and your boasting of 49? WOW

Grizzled Veteran

Postby lloydrules » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:41 pm

Let's put it this way: Did you see Sweed look like he could make plays ever in the preseason, even when playing vs. scrubs? Me either. His chances of producing vs. starting caliber DBs is virtually nill. Not this year. Maybe next.

Good thing we didn't grab a legit O-lineman with that spot.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:50 pm

I agree with most of your post but what lineman was better than Mendenhall at 24? One thing I have learned is to NEVER question the Steeler Management in regard to the draft. They have a good track record.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby lloydrules » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:58 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:I agree with most of your post but what lineman was better than Mendenhall at 24? One thing I have learned is to NEVER question the Steeler Management in regard to the draft. They have a good track record.

You got to be kidding. They are better than most but they have screwed the pooch from 2006 thru 2008 in the draft addressing the OL; 3 years of screwing up

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:03 pm

So they suck based on 3 years in your opinion? WOW. Like I said, our management has a good track record. Lastly, the line is not the problem and managements actions have substantiated that fact.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:33 pm

steelerette wrote:
BigE wrote:We have gotten absolutely no production from our #3 and #4 receivers so far this year, and it's hard for me to believe that Limas Sweed is that bad.

Nate Washington played against the Eagles and, miraculously, actually caught a few passes. :lol:

But missed two when he didn't fight for it as hard as he should have (granted, Samuel is an awesome ballhawk at CB, and was faceguarding Nate on the potential TD pass, but Nate put up a half-hearted fight each time).

And killed us that last drive by trying to fight for two yards instead of stepping OOB.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:46 pm

I agree he should have stepped out of bounds (bonehead) but the int in DOUBLE COVERAGE, should never have been thrown he was not open. The half hearted attempt came in the endzone when he tried to catch the ball with ONE hand instead of jumping and gowing up with two hands. I know Nate has speed but I am not impressed by him yet. Wilson let us down by punching out his girlfriend, he wasnt fast or flashy but he was sure handed.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby lloydrules » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:46 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:So they suck based on 3 years in your opinion? WOW. Like I said, our management has a good track record. Lastly, the line is not the problem and managements actions have substantiated that fact.

Y r an idiot

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:48 pm

you guys still feeding the troll :o

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:53 pm

Sweed needs to see the field- we have no downfield threat, and you cannot tell me he can't show us more than Baker has (which is NOTHING).

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:58 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:So they suck based on 3 years in your opinion? WOW. Like I said, our management has a good track record. Lastly, the line is not the problem and managements actions have substantiated that fact.

interesting ,
you think the stiller brass is great , yet they signed their main problem to a 100 million dollar 7 yr contract...
how good is management if they cant realize the problem after 4 seasons and sign that problem to the richest contract in stiller history?

boy some people are dopes, but wow ...lol

Next

Return to Stillers Talk