Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Ben holding onto the ball TOO LONG. I just studied the film.

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Ben holding onto the ball TOO LONG. I just studied the film.

Postby LambertoCincoOcho » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:38 am

Remember all the BS about the how the o-line was going to benefit from a quicker passing game? The Eagles were pressing the line of scrimmage and jumping the short routes. All we can do is be more patient with the run game and take some shots down field vs man coverage. We get our 6'4 rookie WR out of sweats and onto the field and give him a chance to beat one on one coverage. We get Starks back out there at TE and start pounding the rock. Certainly the o-line must accept part of the blame but Ben needs to take advantage of the rules that were invented to protect the QB. I would put Simmons butt on the bench, slide Colon inside at right guard and insert Max's 7 million dolla ass at right tackle. We would instantly have a more physical line. Next comes Baltimore and no doubt they saw how the Eagles manhandled our offense so we can expect to see more of the same. Situation critical.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Ben holding onto the ball TOO LONG. I just studied the film.

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:56 am

If any unbiased guy watches the film he will see Heath Miller MANY times turning around for the pass, IMMEDIATELY and Ben was too busy looking at the blitz to hit him. Face it pressure bothers him. Have you seen the guy do a qb sneak? Be honest. He goes into the pile like a person who is UNWILLING to do it.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:38 am

I watched peyton mannings 3 games this season, thier 1-2 for a reason he is holding the ball way to long this yr!
He's got a completion pct of 59% and a passer rating of 73 ,this has nothing to do with his poor offensive line play, its just manning holding the ball to long nowadays!

I actually seen a post about manning holding the ball to long on a colts message board ,fans lol!

jeez where do these idiots come from?

Practice Squad

Postby acewhiplash » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:56 pm

Thanks to the folks at Kissing Suzy Kolber, here's a compilation of most of the Steelers sacks, and then some others.

http://buzzcuts.uproxx.com/sports/3790

Check it out.

Granted, what happened Sunday was a perfect storm of poor play calling, poor pass blocking, and poor decision making by Ben (actually, lack of decision making). Things to note:

1) Ben does have opportunities to throw it away on at least 4-5 of the plays. When all hell breaks loose, you can throw it away or make a play, Ben never throws it away.
2) All of the sacks took place on 7 step drops or shotgun plus an average of 3 steps back.
3) at 00:49, notice the absolutely ludicrous playcall. With twins to the left, and a WR in motion to the twins, Ben is in SG and fakes it to the back. he then cocks to throw it outside, like some sort of quick hitting WR screen, but the play hasn't yet developed, he feels the pressure, and he runs the other way, where he is sacked. BUT: Watch whatt the WRs are doing. the outside guy runs a few yards and stops while the 2nd guy in engages his own man. The man in motion is supposed to then block the outside guy's man, so the outside guy can curl in and get the pass. This takes like 4 seconds to develop, meanwhile Ben is running for his life. Is this what Bruce Arians defines as a quick hitter? Because it just looks like someone has been having a lot of fun with the Etch a Sketch.
4) On one play, the 4th one in, Heath Miller stays in to block, he does so successfully for 2 seconds, then for no good reason turns around to see what's going on in the pocket...meanwhile Ben is running right past and the guy Heath was blocking makes the sack.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:02 pm

acewhiplash wrote:Because it just looks like someone has been having a lot of fun with the Etch a Sketch.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:17 pm

I could care less what Manning is doing I hope he does hold the ball too long, who cares. However, I do care about Ben and my Steelers. You cant refute the stats and evidence I have provided, so I'm an idiot. Too funny. I think the idiot is the one who puts forth an arguement without any proof. He who does not know, hands are empty of all proof.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby stillchest » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:04 pm

Again, Hines has stated a few times "the WR's need to do a better job of getting into our hot routes."

When you see two O-Line completely miss blocks and twice...not block ANYONE....allowing the D-Linemen a unhindered run at the QB...probably many more problems then the QB "not processing info quickly."

As the game moved forward, I will agree that the hits and sacks were getting to Ben, as it does most QB's....from what I perceived Ben continued to battle, not wanting to quite such as Scalaid suggests...again, my perception.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:06 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:I could care less what Manning is doing I hope he does hold the ball too long, who cares. However, I do care about Ben and my Steelers. You cant refute the stats and evidence I have provided, so I'm an idiot. Too funny. I think the idiot is the one who puts forth an arguement without any proof. He who does not know, hands are empty of all proof.

unless you have overhead game film , know the play thats called and the recievers routes it is idiotic to think you can diagnose the problem.

as phil simms stated over an over again throughout the game"He has no one to throw to,everyone is covered"

just incase you cant comprehend some basic football things ,here ya go!'
you need to have a reciever in the area to throw the ball away , you cannot just fling a ball out of bounds when both your recievers are in the middle of the field!
you also need a few seconds to proccess the info before deciding to throw the ball away, when your taking a 5 step drop and theres a guy in your face on step three its kinda asking a bit much of your qb to do anything but get sacked!
3 of the 8 sacks came on 3rd down, should he throw it away or try to make something happen on 3r down?

jeeez ,dopes are everywhere!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:47 pm

Oh they were open sir. Phil Simms is not familar with our team nor is he a good annalyst (as NO emmys or NOMINATIONS would suggest) funny how the hot reads were clicking when leftwich was in. Funny how I seen Heath SEVERAL times looking back for the ball (he was the hot route) and Ben was too busy watching the rush. Funny how people see what they want to. Our coach AND players said what? Tomlin and the players say it involves more than just the five starting offensive linemen because there are all kinds of factors that go into pass protection, and not just blocking.

There are, for example, "hot" routes -- predetermined short routes receivers run when they recognize a blitz. There is the protection call, which Roethlisberger was given the freedom to adjust last season at the line of scrimmage. There is awareness in and out of the pocket by the quarterback. Ward peppered everyone with blame.

"The quarterbacks, receivers, tight ends, running backs," he stated. "The quarterbacks missing hots, the receivers missing hots, the tight ends missing hots."

And that's not all.

"We thought one protection slid the other way but it actually was to the right. There were times we thought we were hot on the right when actually we were hot on the left. It's a matter of not having 11 guys on the same page."

Now I ask you WHO CALLS THE HOT ROUTES? BEN DOES. WHO CALLS THE SLIDE PROTECTION?? BEN DOES! You have no problem with the Qb getting MOST OF THE CREDIT when we win but you have a problem with him getting MOST OF THE BLAME, when we lose. You cant have it both ways. I know I know, Lets blame Arians and Tomlin LOL.
In almost 100 hundred passes Batch was only sacked 3 TIMES by the same ratio (almost 100 passes) Ben was sacked 19 now you tell me, were they or were they not behind the same line?? Ben has been sacked almost 100 times in 2 years and your telling me its the Line? That same line is making Willie and Ben pro bowlers. I'm telling you YOUR BIASED.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:14 pm

I'll go with a former all-pro nfl qb who actually understands what goes on during an nfl play over the disgruntled fan :yes:

the hot route is read by the recievers and the qb, if thier not on the same page then it does not work ,simple as that.
now unless your in the players brains, you will never know who was to blame!

chances are,every nfl qb and wr will miss a few hot routes every season....

chances are, every nfl qb will hold the ball durring his career when he should have thrown it away....

must be miserable being a fan and hating your qb as much as you do...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:30 pm

I dont hate my Qb I am brutally honest enough to tell the truth about his production and I am honest enough to sing his praises when he does good. I hold NO biases unlike yourself. I watch EVERY game, I know its been. Line blocks well for Batch but not Ben Hmmm. Line blocks well for Leftwich/Dixon, Maddox and St.Pierre but not Ben hmmmmm. Can Ben do any wrong in your mind? You didnt see Ben flinchin from the blitz in that Jacksonville game 2 seasons ago either did you? He wasnt following through he was bailing out but according to you, I'm disgruntled (do you even know the meaning of the word? obviously not). I know I know, he was bailing out because of the apendectomy (why was he playing?). If I hated Ben would I have his face plastered in my sig? Thats like a KKK member wearing a Obama (or whatever that guys name is) T-shirt. OXY MORON.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:33 pm

darthsteel wrote:I'll go with a former all-pro nfl qb who actually understands what goes on during an nfl play over the disgruntled fan :yes:

the hot route is read by the recievers and the qb, if thier not on the same page then it does not work ,simple as that.
now unless your in the players brains, you will never know who was to blame!

chances are,every nfl qb and wr will miss a few hot routes every season....

chances are, every nfl qb will hold the ball durring his career when he should have thrown it away....

must be miserable being a fan and hating your qb as much as you do...

Your gonna take Phil Simms word (he who knows nothing about our team) over our Coach (who knows our system) and over our best wr who knows our system as well as ALL hot routes. That statement alone is sufficient enough to explain your ignorance to all matters.

Return to Stillers Talk