Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » someone send this play to arians pronto.....

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

someone send this play to arians pronto.....

Postby Still Bangin » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:55 pm

long time listener, first time caller hear...gotta say that was a tough game to watch yesterday when we had the ball, and the one thing that kept poppin in my head was a play i run on madden all the time that kills any d, especially blitzes....the play is very simple, line up in pro form with miller in slot, ward at flanker, holmes at split end and mendy and parker in backfield....mendy and parker both run flares, ward on a 10 yd crosser, holmes on the post, and miller has an option route, either 9 route, curl, or quick slant, there is no way a team can rush 5 or more and cover this play because it utilizes every part of the field and qb has 3 quick options to go to. Arians needs to incorporate simple formations like this, get the play in quick, get the team to the line and run the play...take the colts for example, they basically have 1 formation they run 80% of the time and very simple plays, yet in their hay day they were unstoppable.

on another note, even though yesterday was horrible, we are fortunate we have a great d, great skill players and 13 more games to get this thing fixed, plus we play in the shittiest division in the NFL so the playoffs are almost guaranteed barring major injuries...tomlin needs to make arians simplify things, stick with basics, and speed up the offense and we'll be fine, with the way our d is playing 21 pts should win a lot of games for us.

Stillers.com Team

Re: someone send this play to arians pronto.....

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:03 pm

Welcome to the board.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:24 pm

It would help if our Qb wasnt overwhelmed when he sees pressure too.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby jstallworth82 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:47 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:It would help if our Qb wasnt overwhelmed when he sees pressure too.

It would help if he had time to take 2 steps. Lets put you there and see how well you do. Did you see Brady against the Giants? How about Peyton agains the Steelers in Playoffs? Your Gods at QB also choked under less pressure than Ben faced Sunday. But you keep being the unknowledgeable wanna be fan you are and blame Ben for everything. He makes mistakes that he shouldn't sometimes but also makes geat plays out of nothing.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:14 am

jstallworth82 wrote:
Scalaid6 wrote:It would help if our Qb wasnt overwhelmed when he sees pressure too.

It would help if he had time to take 2 steps. Lets put you there and see how well you do. Did you see Brady against the Giants? How about Peyton agains the Steelers in Playoffs? Your Gods at QB also choked under less pressure than Ben faced Sunday. But you keep being the unknowledgeable wanna be fan you are and blame Ben for everything. He makes mistakes that he shouldn't sometimes but also makes geat plays out of nothing.

I dont play in the NFL sir, Ben does. There is only ONE God and manning and brady are not Him. Am I blaming Ben for everything? I want you to look at ALL OF OUR LOSSES over the last two seasons and you look at Bens stats in those games and please tell me what you see. Then look at our wins and look at Bens stats and tell me what you see. You will see as Ben goes for the most part so do we, as with any team. You have no problem with Ben getting the most money but you have a problem with him getting the most blame. Well sir thats the way it goes and if you dont like the truth, I suggest you stop reading my posts.

Practice Squad

Postby SNW » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:17 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:
jstallworth82 wrote:

I dont play in the NFL sir, Ben does. There is only ONE God and manning and brady are not Him. Am I blaming Ben for everything? I want you to look at ALL OF OUR LOSSES over the last two seasons and you look at Bens stats in those games and please tell me what you see. Then look at our wins and look at Bens stats and tell me what you see. You will see as Ben goes for the most part so do we, as with any team. You have no problem with Ben getting the most money but you have a problem with him getting the most blame. Well sir thats the way it goes and if you dont like the truth, I suggest you stop reading my posts.

Odd signature for someone who hates Ben, don't you think?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:06 pm

So wanting my Qb to play up to his potential is hate? And you people call yourselves fans. I wonder if you would be as forgiving of the Qb play if leftwich or dixon were the qb.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby steelwest » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:42 am

Scalaid:

Your one-sided analysis is obviously flawed. The reason that the team goes as Ben goes is largely because we have lost the ability to run the ball effectively on a regular basis. Hence, everything drops to the QB and the ability to pass protect. We previously had guys like Tomczak and Stewart playing QB and still could run the ball effectively, despite the lack of a real threat in the passing game. Now, we have the reverse. We have an offense that relies too much on the pass, and we cannot gain yardage effectively on the ground when we need to do so.

As to Ben holding the ball, I suppose you think Brady held the ball too long in the Super Bowl last year or Peyton Manning held it too long against us when we beat the Colts during the Super Bowl run. Rubbish.

No QB can stand up against the type of unimpeded rush Ben had to deal with last week. The offensive schemes obviously have not been tailored right to protect adequately. Further, the offense did nothing effective in terms of screen passes, max protect options, or the other ideas that coaching staffs implement in such circumstances.

Totally abandoning the running game does not help either. In a close game, when the QB is under pressure, they could always pass on first down and run on the others -- if they could block anyone. The Raiders were gashing the Bills with runs and at one point in the second half with about seven minutes to play they had thrown ONE pass in that half.

I have yet to see a team this year give its QB less time than the Steelers do on a regular basis. It is not Ben's fault on 80% or more of the plays. JUst like it was not Brady's or Manning's fault when their O-lines were getting run over by the opposition.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:01 am

steelwest wrote:Scalaid:

Your one-sided analysis is obviously flawed. The reason that the team goes as Ben goes is largely because we have lost the ability to run the ball effectively on a regular basis. Hence, everything drops to the QB and the ability to pass protect. We previously had guys like Tomczak and Stewart playing QB and still could run the ball effectively, despite the lack of a real threat in the passing game. Now, we have the reverse. We have an offense that relies too much on the pass, and we cannot gain yardage effectively on the ground when we need to do so.

As to Ben holding the ball, I suppose you think Brady held the ball too long in the Super Bowl last year or Peyton Manning held it too long against us when we beat the Colts during the Super Bowl run. Rubbish.

No QB can stand up against the type of unimpeded rush Ben had to deal with last week. The offensive schemes obviously have not been tailored right to protect adequately. Further, the offense did nothing effective in terms of screen passes, max protect options, or the other ideas that coaching staffs implement in such circumstances.

Totally abandoning the running game does not help either. In a close game, when the QB is under pressure, they could always pass on first down and run on the others -- if they could block anyone. The Raiders were gashing the Bills with runs and at one point in the second half with about seven minutes to play they had thrown ONE pass in that half.

I have yet to see a team this year give its QB less time than the Steelers do on a regular basis. It is not Ben's fault on 80% or more of the plays. JUst like it was not Brady's or Manning's fault when their O-lines were getting run over by the opposition.

We have lost the ability to run? Oh really? Please tell me where does Willie rank in the league in regards to rushing. Are you sure your a Steelers fan? Or maybe you watch channel zero and not the actual games. Look at Willie the last two years and tell me how he did rushing sir. Wasnt he leading the league in rushing before he got hurt? Where do these "fans" come from? Kordell was a bum and so was Tomczak but I do recall Hines catching over a 100 balls from that Bum but yet our $100 millin Qb hasnt come close to doing what that bum Kordell did. HMMM. I saw Peyton tonight saying the losses were on him. I call that being a leader and standup guy. But I get it with you guys. When we win we shower Ben with praises (and rightfully so) but when we lose, we cant criticize Ben (even though he had 3 turnovers and a 2 point gift to the other team) Ben is off limits so we HAVE to blame the Line, Arians and Tomlin, ok I get it. Sorry, I'm a realist. I put the blame on its rightful owner and thats the Qb. When you have a guy getting sacked almost 100 times is 2 seasons but yet that same line in those 2 seasons has produced pro bowl stats for the rb, coupled with the fact that in almost 100 passes Batch was only sacked 3 times (WITH THAT SAME LINE) in 2 years. You pro rate Bens to almost 100 passes and you still get sacks in the TEENS. You look at all of that evidence with an objective eye and it leads you to one conclusion and thats that our Qb NEEDS TO GET THE BALL OUT OF HIS HAND SOONER. That eliminates pressure sir. A little perspective.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:04 am

Lastly, Ben is NOT Brady OR Manning so I refuse to answer that. The aformentioned two RARELY get blitzed because coaches know they will get burned a high percentage of the time. Coaches dont worry about that with Ben because he has proven that its effective against him and this from a 5th year starter

Seasoned Veteran

Postby steelwest » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:52 pm

As to the running game, we ran for about twenty yards last week. If you watch the games the past few years, it is a pass first, run second offense in terms of actually gaining yardage. Kind of like how the Colts used Edgerrin James for years. Anytime we run first, we go nowhere. Then we abandon the run completely.

Parker usually has one or two good runs a game on misdirection plays or because the defense was playing pass first. The line simply does not do a good job of manhandling the defense to allow a consistent running game. If you watch other teams (i.e. Dallas, Oakland, NY Giants), they actually line up and run the ball when they want to do so. Not primarily when the defense is expecting a pass or just to say we ran the ball. The second play of the game against the Eagles we had second and one and got stopped cold. That typically does not happen to other teams, but has been happening to us frequently. Against Cleveland, we could not convert on third and one or thind and two repeatedly. These issues have nothing to do with Ben. But they create further problems for the passing game as there is no downside to non-stop pressure.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:17 pm

Semantics. The steelers have been running successfully since franco and bleir sir. Franco, Bleir, Worley,Hoge,Sydney Thornton, Barry Foster, Bettis, Duce and Willie Parker. We have always been a running team and a effective one. We were pass 1st 6 years ago when we went 6-10 with Tammy Maddox (yes Tammy) but the last 2 years Willie Parker has had 1300 and 1400. Of course last season we passed more due to our top back being out for the season (najeh what a joke davenport) couldnt do the job. Our line is fine sir.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:21 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:Franco, Bleir, Worley,Hoge,Sydney Thornton, Barry Foster, Bettis, Duce and Willie Parker...

...oh, yeah, that's definitely a list that Duce belongs on to illustrate the Steeler running prowess... :roll:

what a friggin' fanny-come-lately moron!
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:38 pm

Duce is on the list due to what he did in a FEW games in 05 thanks to that LINE. Thats the point. Again, the line is fine sir. I may have come lately but I have more to say than you and have more Steeler knowledge than you despite whos been here the longest. Whenever you wanna test this knowledge just say go

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:08 pm

SNW wrote:Odd signature for someone who hates Ben, don't you think?

Look closer at the picture - it's an awkward Ben moment that makes him look like he's been licking the windows on the short bus and he's just missing the flavor...

There are a whole lot more favorable shots of Ben that could have been used...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:29 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:Duce is on the list due to what he did in a FEW games in 05 thanks to that LINE.

"that LINE" hasn't had a damn thing done to maintain it, much less upgrade it since...
...and in the meantime, THE ANCHORS OF "THAT LINE" Hartings and Faneca (never the same post-Hartings) are GONE. You might want to note that, even though we took the SB that year, the line play was on the decline even then, and three years later, it still hasn't been addressed the best way possible - that being the draft.
Scalaid6 wrote:Again, the line is fine sir

This IS 2008 there, Zippy. Besides the obvious I needed to restate for the dense, so much has changed with regard to the coaching philosophy, offensive schemes, shoot - even the tempo of the game in general is different than it was in 2005
Scalaid6 wrote:I may have come lately but I have more to say than you...

"more" shit is just that...
Scalaid6 wrote:{i} have more Steeler knowledge than you

"Steeler" knowledge (history, etc.), marginal as it may be, is NOT football knowledge, as you have so often clearly demonstrated
Scalaid6 wrote:Whenever you wanna test this knowledge just say go

...you're being tested all along, and failing miserably :no:

So OK then, 'go'
...somewhere else! 8-)

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:13 pm

Giveshead,
Does a great job of copying and pasting but he does a lousy job at presenting his case. Just because I dont go along with the copout of the majority of you of blaming the line or the coach. I blame the one who has the ball in his hands. I have never seen arians and tomlin make a turnover (thats how you lose games). Anytime you want to test the football OR Steeler knowledge you say the word sir. Download instant messenger (www.aim.com) and you and I can have a football face off and we can post the results on this very site. Im not a couch potatoe, I played and coached division 1 football I know my stuff sir. So when you want to have that showdown I will be waiting. The instant messenger address is: Scalaid6 I will be waiting for ya Peaches. Time to put up or shut up.

Return to Stillers Talk