Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Is Dan Rooney sick???

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Greenhorned Rookie

Is Dan Rooney sick???

Postby Steelers4Tim » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:49 pm

Well, is he? I'm beginning to wonder, as are others. I mean, hell, let me be clear. Dan Rooney is (or at least was), a great man. Nobody, and I mean nobody, has defended the man more than I have. I was there at the HOF in 2000 when he was inducted in Canton. I met and talked to him, and what a joy it was. It was like talking to a god. Most people wanted to meet Howie Long, Ronnie Lot, Joe Montana, etc., but not me.

No, I wanted to meet Dan and thank him for protecting, promoting, and fighting for the Pittsburgh Steelers and the fans of the Steelers. He was one of the greatest men to rule in the NFL's history, and his legacy is of iconic status, similiar to that of his father. Hell, to be honest, I damn near hold him in the same regard as The Chief, and that speaks volumes, trust me.

Now, however, you have to wonder if he's in his right mind. You have to wonder if that idiot Artie fucking Jr. is actually calling all the shots, all because Dan has an illness, a dementia, or some other kind medical problem. I mean, hell, look at what has happened since right after the Super Bowl. We went from one of the best run organizations in football to one of the worst. Am I right, is Dan ill? You tell me after reviewing the evidence:

--Dan never replaced Bettis' position on the football field after his retirement, instead opting for coming to camp with only Soft Willie Parker, Duesh Staley, and Verron fucking Haynes. Later, realizing he fucked up, he signed Nadgae Davenfuck off the scrap pile.

--Dan refuses to pony up the money for Bill's contract extension, thus letting one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game walk the streets. How good a coach was Bill Cowher? He led the fucking league in wins from 92-06 with only a simple "caveman" offense, even though every fucking team in the league knew ahead of time we were going to run the ball and run it some more. A few bounces here and there, and Cowher COULD have been considered the greatest coach of all time. At any rate, Rooney let him walk, or at the least didn't know that he let him walk.

--Dan lets both Whiz and Grimm walk, even though both men remained loyal and leaned on the Steelers organization for the job. Hell, Whiz wanted the job so fucking bad, he told Al Davis to go fuck himself in an interview for the Oakland job a year earlier. Dan did nothing.

--Dan received a last day call from Park Avenue, and lets the league exec's bully him into hiring Mike Tomlin because he was the one who created the Rooney Rule, which gives a man job interviews simply because of the color of his skin and not because of his qualifications. Rooney, realizing he was about to give the job to Russ Grimm, pulls the plug and instead hires Tomlin, giving in to the wishes of the NFL and it's corporate image.

--Dan let's Colbert waste MULTIPLE premium draft picks on tooth-pick wide receivers and waste-oids, even though the Steelers needed O-LINE help, thus letting the foundation of our football team crumble to the ground, and even went as far as letting Faneca walk the streets uncontested.

--Dan let's Tomlin promote Bruce Arians to run the entire offense, even though Bruce was fired at Temple, fired in Cleveland, and fucking demoted all the way back to a wide-receivers coach.

So, I ask again. Does anyone, and I mean anyone, think that maybe Dan has lost or is in the process of losing his mind??? I hate to say it, but I think maybe he has.
"If you lead a good life, say your prayers and go to church, when you die you might go to Pittsburgh".
-Steelers folklore

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Is Dan Rooney sick???

Postby steelerette » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:42 pm

You have some very, very good points, Steelers4Tim. I don't know if Dan Rooney is losing his mind, but after yesterday's dismal performance by our beloved Steelers, I feel like I'm losing mine. It wasn't all a dream, was it? :(

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Field General Ben » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:59 pm

Steelers4Tim wrote:--Dan never replaced Bettis' position on the football field after his retirement, instead opting for coming to camp with only Soft Willie Parker, Duesh Staley, and Verron fucking Haynes. Later, realizing he fucked up, he signed Nadgae Davenfuck off the scrap pile.

So you're giving up on Rashard Mendenhall already? It bothers you Willie Parker has been the feature back since the SB Championship season, doesn't it? All he's done is rush for well over 1,000 yards including last year when his season was cut short in the Rams game.

Steelers4Tim wrote:--Dan refuses to pony up the money for Bill's contract extension, thus letting one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game walk the streets. How good a coach was Bill Cowher? He led the fucking league in wins from 92-06 with only a simple "caveman" offense, even though every fucking team in the league knew ahead of time we were going to run the ball and run it some more. A few bounces here and there, and Cowher COULD have been considered the greatest coach of all time. At any rate, Rooney let him walk, or at the least didn't know that he let him walk.

I guess you don't buy into the theory that Mrs. Cowher wanted his ass retired? Ask Bill Belichick if Cowher is one of the greatest coaches of all-time since Belichick still OWNS Cowher. For that matter so does Mike Shanahan. Cowher was a great REGULAR SEASON coach, no doubt. He just shit the bed in the playoffs which we all know detracts from his reputation. You can spin it with "a few bounces here and there" which is ridiculous, but his legacy will always be, whether you like it or not, more disappointments and failures in the big games than victories. And by the way, his one SB victory came because he finally got a clue and deviated from that "caveman" offense.

Steelers4Tim wrote:--Dan lets both Whiz and Grimm walk, even though both men remained loyal and leaned on the Steelers organization for the job. Hell, Whiz wanted the job so fucking bad, he told Al Davis to go fuck himself in an interview for the Oakland job a year earlier. Dan did nothing.

Yep, Whiz and Grimm are turning those Cardinals into a world beater aren't they? How'd they do last year? How'd they do against Jason Campbell and the Redskins?

Steelers4Tim wrote:--Dan received a last day call from Park Avenue, and lets the league exec's bully him into hiring Mike Tomlin because he was the one who created the Rooney Rule, which gives a man job interviews simply because of the color of his skin and not because of his qualifications. Rooney, realizing he was about to give the job to Russ Grimm, pulls the plug and instead hires Tomlin, giving in to the wishes of the NFL and it's corporate image.

Jury's still out on this one. You've been on Tomlin's case since Day 1 not even giving him chance one. I'm not ready to give up on him yet. That being said, he and the coaching staff need to get their heads out of their collective asses and get ready for the Ratbirds next Monday night.

Steelers4Tim wrote:--Dan let's Colbert waste MULTIPLE premium draft picks on tooth-pick wide receivers and waste-oids, even though the Steelers needed O-LINE help, thus letting the foundation of our football team crumble to the ground, and even went as far as letting Faneca walk the streets uncontested.

Can't disagree with you on some of these wasted draft picks. Rounds 4-7 always seem to be throwaway rounds for Colbert and Cowher/Tomlin, and that's definitely disconcerting. You can't lay it all at Colbert's feet since Cowher and now Tomlin have significant input into who gets drafted. You are quick to tell us that Cowher's one of the greatest head coaches, but then you imply he has no input into the draft process. You and I both know that's a crock of shit. As for Faneca, he's done. He was great up until the 2006 season, but his play has significantly declined. The Patriots still own his sorry ass as seen in last week's Jets game. Favre felt like Roethlisberger did in last season Patsie game.

Steelers4Tim wrote:--Dan let's Tomlin promote Bruce Arians to run the entire offense, even though Bruce was fired at Temple, fired in Cleveland, and fucking demoted all the way back to a wide-receivers coach.

You're spot on in this observation, Tim. No argument here. This assclown needs to go.

Steelers4Tim wrote:So, I ask again. Does anyone, and I mean anyone, think that maybe Dan has lost or is in the process of losing his mind??? I hate to say it, but I think maybe he has.

Hard to say. He may have started losing it back in '92.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:01 pm

steelers4tim " i think rooney is losing his mind"

POT meet fucking Kettle!!!!

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:45 pm

Funny stuff in the thread.

I don't think Dan is sick, but maybe he is.

I think when considering the list of things mentioned above, one should consider if Dan has delegated some responsibilities as he tries to get his son Art to take over.

Maybe Art is to blame.
Maybe Art isn't the owner Dan has been.

Return to Stillers Talk