Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » BIG BEN IS THE REAL REASON WE HAVE LINE PROBLEMS!!!

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Re: BIG BEN IS THE REAL REASON WE HAVE LINE PROBLEMS!!!

Postby Teegre » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:26 am

Scalaid6 wrote:The difference is Ben got progressively WORSE and started turning the ball over and giving away points (safety) and his demeanor was of one who didnt want to play anymore.

Look at the last four plays by Leftwich.
1-10-PHI 22 B.Leftwich pass incomplete
2-10-PHI 22 B.Leftwich pass to 85-N.Washington for 9 yards.
3-1-PHI 13 B.Leftwich sacked at PHI 22 for -9 yards.
4-10-PHI 22 B.Leftwich pass incomplete short left to 10-S.Holmes.

It appears that Leftwich "got progressively WORSE" as well.
Again, I wonder how Leftwich would have faired after three more quarters of that pass-rush?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:50 am

I agree with you AND have admitted as such. You see I am honest and dont have a bias. I want Pittsburgh to do well and I agree Leftwich left some plays on the field, the truth is the truth. I am not one to argue the truth. The difference is Ben lost 2 fumbles and had a pick, plus he gave up 2 points and possession, lots of detrimental plays if you ask me. But in fairness to Ben, your point is valid, Byron didnt play as long so to compare the stats is not fair to Ben and I have not compared the stats, I only compared the reads and to me Byron was hitting hot routes and getting rid of the ball quickly and when he didnt he got sacked, like Ben. Truth is truth. To say "what if Byron had played longer what would have happened" is like saying What if Ben was takin by the Giants and not Phillip Rivers then maybe we would have Rivers. All it is is conjecture.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Teegre » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:07 pm

To clarify my position and/or point:
My question (about Leftwich playing for three more quarters) was not meant to be a hypothetical question...
...it was a rhetorical question.

Let me put it this way:
Ben started off well on his first series.
Byron started off well on his first series.

Ben’s first series stalled, resulting in a field goal.
Byron’s first series stalled, resulting in a field goal -er- turnover on downs (thanks Tomlin).

Ben was pressured & hit numerous times...resulting in eight sacks, several incomplete throws, & two fumbles.
Byron was pressured & hit on his lone series...resulting in one sack and several incomplete throws.

In other words, after just four pass attempts, Byron was already starting to falter: three of his final four pass attempts were failures (two incompletions & a sack). In fact, half of his eight pass attempts were “failures” (three incompletions & a sack).

While we do not know whether or not Byron would have had as an abysmal a day as Ben had (if/when Byron had played against that same defense for three quarters), what is fairly obvious that neither of them was doing all that well...because they were being hit, harangued, & harrassed ad nauseam.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:48 pm

WOW talk about Conjecture. All those absolute statements without absolute knowledge. Are you guys sure your Steelers fans?
Last edited by Nel on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: racial innuendo is not allowed here

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Teegre » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:16 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:WOW talk about Conjecture. All those absolute statements without absolute knowledge. Are you guys sure your Steelers fans?

Conjecture???
Please explain.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby StillDodger » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:02 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:WOW talk about Conjecture. All those absolute statements without absolute knowledge. Are you guys sure your Steelers fans?

You Ratbirds fan :sufu: ..... (Bungles and Clowns fans would be too depressed to meddle on a Steelers board.)

And again, WGAF about one's "knowledge?" The explanation itself is all what's important.

No real Steeler fan would defend Aryans......... Only a deceitful fan of a rival team would do that.
Whenever Tom Brady loses, it's always someone else's fault.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:22 am

You guys are so paranoid lmao. What would I have to gain by coming on here and posing as a Steeler fan? Thats about as stupid as your defense of our qb when its obvious hes the problem with the sacks. Lets see, the line blocks fine for willie, blocks fine for Bettis, blocks fine for duce, blocks fine for batch, blocks fine for Leftwich but it doesnt block fine for Ben. Dont take rocket science to see WHOS THE PROBLEM. But when the team starts complaining dont worry I will be here to say TOLD YOU SO. I dont blame arians for the simple fact that Ben has the right to veto EVERY play he sends in if the defense is set up to beat that play. So I blame the guy who attempts to execute the bad play (as you call it). Simple. For the record he has the same play book (little adjustments) as Mike Mularky and Ken Wisenhunt has its not that much different. Do your research. I have never seen so many dumb intellectuals in all my life. And your Steeler fans? PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Teegre » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:20 am

I am still waiting for you to explain how what I said was "conjecture."

Also, while you are at it, please explain what makes you so sure that Byron would have done better than Ben would have (if Leftwich had played for three more quarters)...which is what you have alluded to (when you bring up Ben’s other series...and fumbles).

In fact, the only basis of comparison are Ben’s & Byron’s first drives.
On their first drives:
Ben was 6/7 for 59 yards, one incomplete pass.
Byron was 4/8 for 60 yards, three incomplete passes...and one sack (for -9 yards).

If you want to (once again) bring up the fact that Ben played poorly (e.g. fumbles) after a few more series of facing this pressure, then we are forced to delve into conjecture about how Byron would have dealt with this pressure...correct? If so, then, as the stats show, after just eight plays, Byron was already experiencing some difficulties in dealing with the pressure.

But, as I said, the only true basis of comparison is their first drives.

Again, I do not see any conjecture in what I have posted.
In fact, if anything, it is quite objective & unbiased.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:00 am

Show me where I said Byron would do better. Dont worry I'll wait

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:11 am

Your wrong the only basis of comparison I'm using is who beat the blitz and who did not. Who got the ball out of their hand and who did not. Thats the ONLY thing I am looking at and the only thing I have talked about. ONLY A FOOL would say Byron is Better than Ben. Now if I have said that then Please show me

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:08 pm

Teegre wrote:

I am still waiting for you to explain how what I said was "conjecture."

Also, while you are at it, please explain what makes you so sure that Byron would have done better than Ben would have (if Leftwich had played for three more quarters)...which is what you have alluded to (when you bring up Ben’s other series...and fumbles).

In fact, the only basis of comparison are Ben’s & Byron’s first drives.
On their first drives:
Ben was 6/7 for 59 yards, one incomplete pass.
Byron was 4/8 for 60 yards, three incomplete passes...and one sack (for -9 yards).

If you want to (once again) bring up the fact that Ben played poorly (e.g. fumbles) after a few more series of facing this pressure, then we are forced to delve into conjecture about how Byron would have dealt with this pressure...correct? If so, then, as the stats show, after just eight plays, Byron was already experiencing some difficulties in dealing with the pressure.

But, as I said, the only true basis of comparison is their first drives.

Again, I do not see any conjecture in what I have posted.
In fact, if anything, it is quite objective & unbiased.

...dude, you're starting to shoot holes all through his whole monotonous "I Hate Ben" blather...
...he might be forced to accept that the real cause for the offensive breakdown on Sunday can be more appropriately laid at the feet of the OL,
and that his Ben-hatin' troll diatribe spilling all over several threads on this board is on its face a pile of unjustified :suahhbs: ...

Left with his whole argument in shambles ONCE AGAIN, I expect him to start the name-calling and issuing kindergarten-playground-style challenges at any moment.
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:13 pm

StillDodger wrote:No real Steeler fan would defend Aryans......... Only a deceitful fan of a rival team would do that.

...unless your so blinded by your hellbent hatred for Big Ben that you try to force all focus on him and ignorantly overlook where the real "offensive" problems were on Sunday.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:39 pm

I dont hate Ben I just hate how he gets scary under pressure. I know the truth hurts thats why you guys say I "hate" Ben just because I'm honest enough to tell the truth about him. Perhaps you can help your buddy find where I said Byron is better. Dont worry I'll wait. In the meantime watch the video of OUR LINE vs the blitz crazy Ravens last season, the only thing missing was BEN and guess what guys? ZERO SACKS. At the 1:05 mark Batch displays how you beat the blitz by getting rid of the ball QUICKLY and not standing like a deer in headlights and ALWAYS scrambling to the right.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=2 ... week=REG17

Seasoned Veteran

Postby dirtydave61 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:07 pm

I can't believe all these people turning on Ben after 1 game. He's easily one of the best QBs in the game, and that is an opinion shared by most fans and football experts alike.

Take a look at this ESPN.com article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3594747

It looks to me like those 7 sportswriters ranked Ben the #1 young QB ahead of Manning, Cutler, Romo, and Rivers. There's a general consensus around the league that Ben is really good. I don't know a simpler way to put it. His winning percentage and leadership cannot be questioned, and to boot, he's got a Super Bowl ring that he was instrumental in winning.

Sunday's loss was on everyone, not just Ben. The O-line didn't block, the receivers didn't hold onto balls or correctly read defenses, Arians shit the bed with his gameplan and failure to make adjustments, and Tomlin didn't do much either, especially with the decision not to kick the field goal at the end of the game.

Ben didn't play well, but don't place all the blame on him. If this team ends the season with a losing record, it will be because the O-line completely falls apart and Arians fails to learn from the Eagles game. Ben, on the other hand, will surely learn from the game.

I think Sunday was a wake-up call for the entire team, and they will adjust after being completely exposed.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:15 pm

I'm not turning on Ben after one game nor am I turning on him. My premise and my only point is THE BLITZ BOTHERS BEN. Until he fixes this he wont be elite. I watch EVERY Steelers game and I doubt if those who write articles do. If ANYONE Ranks been higher than Manning they are high, biased or both. There is only one reason Ben gets blitzed as often as he does and one reason only, IT WORKS. There is one reason coordinators put 8 in the box on Ben and one reason only, IT WORKS. Until he corrects this we wont progress as a team. I'll say it again. Leftwich,Batch, Maddox are in and there are NO line problems but when Ben is in its SACK city. Not hating Ben, just telling the truth and substantiating it. If you disagree present your proof if your truthful. Is Ben good? Yes WHEN HE HAS TIME but that describes EVERY Qb in the league, I want to see him shine under durress, thats the real test.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:18 pm

Explain why Batch started and threw the ball THIRTY ONE times and NO SACKS. Explain that sir...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:45 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:I'm not turning on Ben after one game nor am I turning on him.

not turning...you've been against him from the start...

Scalaid6 wrote:I dont hate Ben I just hate how he gets scary under pressure. I know the truth hurts thats why you guys say I "hate" Ben just because I'm honest enough to tell the truth about him.

...dude, you are seriously way too easy... :no:

It was you that said...
Scalaid6 wrote:I dont appreciate Ben, I'm a steeler fan NOT a Ben fan. I was a Steeler fan BEFORE Ben and will be AFTER Ben..

You haven't been "honest enough to tell the truth about him" from the beginning.

You've been spewing Ben hatred since your first post (um, like, two days ago :roll: ) and now you're just trying to backpedal from the biased drivel we've seen all over this board...

Well, if you truly are a Steeler(s) fan (as many of us have posted our suspicions on the subject), you better get used to being a Big Ben fan.
At least learn the game of football and grasp a more even-handed perspective on his abilities.
He's going to be here at least another 7 years, unless Arians' "offensive" schemes or the ghastly play of our OL gets him killed first.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:58 pm

That statement is a statement of truth. If someone asks me "Whats your favorite team" I will say "Steelers" NOT BEN ROETHLISBERGER. Are you kidding? This CANT be your evidence? Your mouth is in overdrive and your brain is in neutral. Was Ben on the Team when Bradshaw was hitting Swann/Stallworth and Bennie Cunningham (backed up by Randy Grossman)? I became a fan then sir. And I will be after Ben is gone. Well I'll say you better get used to Mike Tomlin cause he will be here for at least 7 years (you know how the Rooneys do) I think THAT will bother you more than Ben bothering me. I like Ben I just want him to play up to his potential, if he plays up to his potential WE WIN. That so hard to believe. Lastly, do I care what you or any other blogger feels about me being a fan? I'll say it again, TEST MY STEELERS KNOWLEDGE. And can you explain to me how Batch threw the ball THIRTY ONE times and had ZERO sacks in the Ravens game last season? SAME LINE (minus fanaca) and only thing missing no Ben. HMMMMM

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=2 ... week=REG17

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:53 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:Well I'll say you better get used to Mike Tomlin cause he will be here for at least 7 years (you know how the Rooneys do) I think THAT will bother you more than Ben bothering me.

a> almost hate to say it, but wrong yet again there, skippy.
I actually like Tomlin, and am willing to let him learn and grow into his job, like what was afforded the 2 Steelers coaches before him.
Part of his growing and maturing will be to recognize that Arians couldn't find his own ass with two hands and a flashlight, and Zeirlein is too busy looking at pictures of everybody else's.
Another part will be to then have the stones to do something about it, however drastic that needs to be. I'm also willing to be patient, but that's wearing thin...

b>I've already seen that link to THE LAST GAME OF THE REGULAR SEASON the other umpteen times you posted it, and it's still just as irrelevant
(Want me to "TEST [YOUR] STEELERS KNOWLEDGE?" How did we do in that game, anyway? :roll:)
And why was Batch starting? IT WAS A FRIGGIN' GARBAGE GAME, AND OUR STARTERS (FOR THE DENSE, THOSE ARE ACTUALLY THE BEST PLAYERS AT THE POSITIONS, QB INCLUDED) WERE RESTING FOR THE PLAYOFFS!!
So convenient how you have yet to post anything showing how Ben did the first time we played the Ratbirds last season in week 9, when the game actually DID matter -
http://www.nfl.com/videos?categoryId=highlights&gameId=2007110500&week=9&seasonFilter=2007&seasonType=REG

what, 5 touchdown passes in only 16 attempts, 158.3 passer rating, etc. etc...Shoot, the game was so lop-sided that Ben wasn't even needed the second half, accounting for so few attempts

Scalaid6 wrote:I like Ben I just want him to play up to his potential...

won't fault you there, IF you demonstrate SOME football knowledge with an understanding of the roles of PLAYERS AND COACHES on this TEAM sport, AND are even handed with the critical observations you make.

So far, nobody here has seen anything of the like.
All we've seen over and over is that obnoxious sig that makes our star QB look like he has downs and the rantings of an ignorant knee-jerk Ben hater...
...oh, and a picture of some chick's way-too-flabby ass in white spandex :o
By appearances, it's all just ridiculous!

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:37 pm

So far, nobody here has seen anything of the like. All we've seen over and over is that obnoxious sig that makes our star QB look like he has downs and the rantings of an ignorant knee-jerk Ben hater...

Yes, so:

PreviousNext

Return to Stillers Talk