Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » BIG BEN IS THE REAL REASON WE HAVE LINE PROBLEMS!!!

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Re: BIG BEN IS THE REAL REASON WE HAVE LINE PROBLEMS!!!

Postby Field General Ben » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:01 pm

Great avatar scalaid6. That's the only positive thing I can say about you.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby The Fan Of STEEL » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:18 pm

I just don't understand why they don't try a 2-3 step drop with Ben? Leftwich did it and he is the one that is supposed to have that long windup and delivery, but he got the ball out much quicker than Ben did.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:52 pm

You guys can make all the excuses you want for Ben. The truth of the matter is that when Leftwich came in those SORRY lineman as you described them, ALL OF A SUDDEN looked like pro bowlers. Somebody please explain why B-wich had success under the SAME pressure and Ben did not. SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN THAT TO ME.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:16 pm

"It seems he does have problems reading defenses."

Residue from motorcycle accident? Seriously, how did he do before that?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:23 pm

Honestly, he was the same. We hid his weaknessess in a running game. And when the teams expected run we passed. As you notice Ben Looks for ONE receiver and if that receiver is covered hes sacked. Whereas Mcnabb was checking #1, 2,3 and even 4 under our heavy pressure. Mcnabb knows where his guys are Ben looks at the line, then wrs and by then its too late. You cant worry about the pressure. How was Ben as a Rookie vs the Pats in the playoffs prior to motorcycle accident? I gave him a pass because he was a rookie. How did Ben fair against the Seahawks complicated zones in the Super Bowl prior to the accident? As I said, he was the SAME. The truth of the matter is that Ben is in his 5th year as a starter and hes STILL getting blitzed like hes Matt Ryan, Cassell, Jason Campbell etc He should have this crap conquered by now.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:39 pm

Scalaid6=boards biggest idiot :lol:

It must suck when you know the player you cant stand will be the qb you have to watch for the next 10 plus yrs :lol:

look for your 2nd and 3rd read when you being hit by your third step back, interesting theory!

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:02 pm

I think Ben had a bad game mentally (not all his fault, although he can play a bit stupidly), and he does have those on occasion. Scalaid6 presents a compelling argument, in my opinion.

I also think that Arians and his staff puckered 'n froze, and failed to practice or gameplan for the massive blitzes.

The buck does not stop there, though, with BenRoth and Arians. I am looking at coach Tomlin, he's the guy who wanted the Asinine Airhead around = Arians.

Practice Squad

Postby BigBen7 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:17 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:You guys can make all the excuses you want for Ben. The truth of the matter is that when Leftwich came in those SORRY lineman as you described them, ALL OF A SUDDEN looked like pro bowlers. Somebody please explain why B-wich had success under the SAME pressure and Ben did not. SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN THAT TO ME.

Simple. They stopped bringing the blitz every day. If it wasn't an offensive line issue, we would have had much more success running. We got pushed around all day on offensive line.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:32 pm

Nel wrote:I think Ben had a bad game mentally (not all his fault, although he can play a bit stupidly), and he does have those on occasion. Scalaid6 presents a compelling argument, in my opinion.

I also think that Arians and his staff puckered 'n froze, and failed to practice or gameplan for the massive blitzes.

The buck does not stop there, though, with BenRoth and Arians. I am looking at coach Tomlin, he's the guy who wanted the Asinine Airhead around = Arians.

Please make sense out of your post sir. I do believe that Arians properly prepared Ben. Evidence of that is when the backup comes in everything clicks. The difference is that Byron executed his audibles and Hot routes and Ben was pre-occupied with the pressure, so he did not. I want ALL of you to watch the Qb when we play the Ravens with an objective mind and see how he reacts to pressure. All NFL Qbs can find an open man when they have time. The mark of an elite qb is what he does under durress.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:40 pm

Field General Ben wrote:Great avatar scalaid6. That's the only positive thing I can say about you.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice welcome to Stillers.com

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:00 pm

:surockin:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:50 pm

Are you guys watching the game tonight? Notice how quick Rivers and Favre are getting rid of the ball? The blitz is a non factor when you audible and or call your hot routes. How come the blitz isnt bothering them? I know I know its OUR LINE. lol

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:54 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:
Nel wrote:I think Ben had a bad game mentally (not all his fault, although he can play a bit stupidly), and he does have those on occasion. Scalaid6 presents a compelling argument, in my opinion.

Please make sense out of your post sir. I do believe that Arians properly prepared Ben. Evidence of that is when the backup comes in everything clicks. The difference is that Byron executed his audibles and Hot routes and Ben was pre-occupied with the pressure, so he did not. I want ALL of you to watch the Qb when we play the Ravens with an objective mind and see how he reacts to pressure. All NFL Qbs can find an open man when they have time. The mark of an elite qb is what he does under durress.

I see your point, but Lefty did not play enough downs under pressure to establish the trend you contend.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:15 pm

I can agree with that AND he missed a wide open receiver on 4th down when we NEEDED THAT completion.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Teegre » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:13 am

As I mentioned and/or posted in another thread...(which had a similar theme):

Ben’s first drive

1-10-PIT 20 B.Roethlisberger pass to 83-H.Miller for 9 yards
2-1-PIT 29 W.Parker to PIT 28 for -1 yards
3-2-PIT 28 PENALTY on PHI-58-T.Cole - No Play.
1-10-PIT 33 B.Roethlisberger pass to 10-S.Holmes for 16 yards.
1-10-PIT 49 B.Roethlisberger pass to 10-S.Holmes for 6 yards.
2-4-PHI 45 B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete
3-4-PHI 45 B.Roethlisberger pass to 86-H.Ward for 6 yards
1-10-PHI 39 W.Parker right end to PHI 40 for -1 yards
2-11-PHI 40 B.Roethlisberger pass to 85-N.Washington for 16 yards.
1-10-PHI 24 W.Parker left end to PHI 18 for 6 yards.
2-4-PHI 18 W.Parker up the middle to PHI 19 for -1 yards.
3-5-PHI 19 B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete.

Leftwich’s first drive
1-10-PIT 27 B.Leftwich pass to 85-N.Washington for 13 yards
1-10-PIT 40 B.Leftwich pass incomplete.
2-10-PIT 40 B.Leftwich pass to 83-H.Miller for 21 yards.
1-10-PHI 39 B.Leftwich pass to 83-H.Miller for 17 yards.
1-10-PHI 22 B.Leftwich pass incomplete
2-10-PHI 22 B.Leftwich pass to 85-N.Washington for 9 yards.
3-1-PHI 13 B.Leftwich sacked at PHI 22 for -9 yards.
4-10-PHI 22 B.Leftwich pass incomplete short left to 10-S.Holmes.

They look similar to me. :?:
Q: I wonder how Leftwich would have faired after three more quarters of that pass-rush???

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:22 am

The difference is Ben got progressively WORSE and started turning the ball over and giving away points (safety) and his demeanor was of one who didnt want to play anymore.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:53 am

I dont just say things I substantiate them. For example:Roethlisberger was sacked 46 times in 2006, then sacked 47 times last season. Those represent the second- and third-most sacks suffered by a Steelers quarterback since at least the 1969 season, long before the statistic became official.
Only Cliff Stoudt was sacked more often in one season, 51 times in 1983. DO YOU SEE A PATTERN??? Now that same offensive line that you guys say SUCKS, produced solid yardage for Bettis, Willie and Duce Staley. Also, that same line protected Charlie Batch with no problem (gets rid of the ball quick) In 2006 Batch had 53 pass attempts and only THREE sacks. In 07 Batch had 36 pass attempts and ZERO sacks. Also Coach Tomlin and the players say what I say. In an article on the Post-Gazette hes quoted as saying the following. Tomlin and the players say it involves more than just the five starting offensive linemen because there are all kinds of factors that go into pass protection, and not just blocking.
There are, for example, "hot" routes -- predetermined short routes receivers run when they recognize a blitz. There is the protection call, which Roethlisberger was given the freedom to adjust last season at the line of scrimmage. There is awareness in and out of the pocket by the quarterback. There must be receivers who hang onto passes -- Hines Ward, Rashard Mendenhall and Santonio Holmes dropped catchable passes Sunday. And there has to be successful plays to keep a rampaging defense off balance -- draws, screens and the like.
YOU GUYS CAN KEEP IGNORING THE EVIDENCE IF YOU LIKE. Ben is lights out when he has time but so is EVERY QB, I wanna see how he responds UNDER DURRESS, so far hes failing under durress. Better believe he will be under durress against the Ravens, so lets see if he steps up or if he lays down.

Practice Squad

Postby Steelersbaby » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:09 am

You're a dumbfuck.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:16 am

Why because I want the BEST for my team? Why because I want Ben to play up to his potential? I want the Ben who came out and played his arse off vs the Jags (2nd Half) in the playoffs! I want that guy! If he plays like that we dont lose. You think the Pats are good? I say they excell because of their Qb. I have said that for 2 years, now its coming into fruition. You guys have NO PROBLEM blaming coaches (which is IDIOTIC) but when it comes time to blame the one who has the MOST control of our team you have a problem. TOO BAD! I got the same response when I critcized Kordell the cock sucker back in the day. Same Steeler fans didnt like the truth because they LIKED the guy. Again, I dont like players, I'm a Steeler fan, 1st and FORMOST.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:13 am

Look, I don't know enough about all this to make a definitive judgement as to how much of this is on ben and how much it isn't.

But instead of calling Scalaid a "dumbfuck", does anyone have a good reason why Batch's sack totals are at about 4% of attempts while Ben's are at ~10%/attempt if it's "all on the OL"?

To me, it seems that Ben's style of play is an obvious contributor to this difference...and yes...I know sample size plays into it a little bit.

But instead of namecalling, how about definitively answering the points made?

PreviousNext

Return to Stillers Talk