Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » BIG BEN IS THE REAL REASON WE HAVE LINE PROBLEMS!!!

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

BIG BEN IS THE REAL REASON WE HAVE LINE PROBLEMS!!!

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:05 am

Lets be honest, Ben is what he is. A big, strong Qb who has diffulculties reading defenses. In his 1st season he was protected by a strong running game, how many time did he pass that season? Similar to Jamarcus Russell. Thats the reason he and former O coordinator Ken Wisenhunt had a MANY a falling out. Thats why "Wiz" blitzed him like crazy when they beat us last season. What was the result? Sacks and ints when it counted. You see if a Qb has problems processing information the best thing to do is to make him play fast and force him into mistakes. This is the book on Big Ben. We will see alot of this from here on out, so you guys can blame Tomlin, blame Arians but the one who should bare the most blame is the on who is actually on the field. He fails to audible, fails to hot route, he throws into double coverage (shows inpatience), gets intentional grounding in the endzone and made it a two possesion game. When will he learn to throw the ball at his wrs feet and live to fight another down? If you give Ben time he will kill you but so will ANY NFL quarterback. The test is what a qb does under durress, thats the measuring stick. Ben is in his 5th year and coordinators are STILL putting 8 in the box, blitzing and daring him to beat them. Notice Philly didnt do that to Romo last week? Film does not lie and come Monday Night the Ravens will be coming and if Ben doesnt learn to check down or hit his hout routes he wont last (injured). Its no coincidence that when Byron got in there were on more line problems and yes they did blitz him, he just got rid of the ball (heath (2), nate Washington) and that rendered the blitz ineffective. I know you guys are looking for the next Bradshaw but Ben is not him, if he doesnt "get it" in his 5 the season, I wonder if he ever will. Just being honest guys.

Seasoned Veteran

Re: BIG BEN IS THE REAL REASON WE HAVE LINE PROBLEMS!!!

Postby BigE » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:47 am

I agree with your article. While Ben is a good quarterback, i'm not sure he is an elite one. It seems he does have problems reading defenses. He should be checking out of plays when he sees a blitz coming, throwing to his hot route or just getting rid of the ball. He is doing none of these things. The interception into double coverage was mind boggling, the endzone play was stupid. I know that the first game was a blowout and Ben didn't even play in the 4th quarter, the Cleveland game was a tough game to have any kind of a passing offense. But through 3 games, Ben has yet to throw for 200 yards in a game. His touchdown total is way down over last year, his sack total is up. Good thing we play in a crap division.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:10 am

As I said, the problem with this analysis is that is solves nothing.

Ben is our quarterback- if he has these limitations it's up to the COACHING STAFF to come up with strategies where he can excel despite these limitations.

They didn't do so yesterday...that much is certain.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:11 am

Finally someone who is being truthful! Lets face it the good qbs have a little bit of *ss hole in them. Bens a nice guy. His demeanor is like Kordells (ugh I detest that guy). He laughs at bad reads and doesnt play up to his ability untill its too late ( jags playoffs last season). How many times has he said "This loss is on me" I'm tired of hearing that crap. Every time we play an elite team, he plays mediocre (except broncos afc champ; and colts divisional). Our schedule is too tough to have a SOFT QB.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:14 am

Jeemie wrote:As I said, the problem with this analysis is that is solves nothing.

Ben is our quarterback- if he has these limitations it's up to the COACHING STAFF to come up with strategies where he can excel despite these limitations.

Coaches cant MAKE you UNDERSTAND D sir. Is it Bellichick making Brady good or the other way around? Is it Dungy making Manning good or the other way around? So the coaches started coaching when byron came in? NO! Byron made correct audibles and called hot routes and Ben either did not or did them poorly. Lets address the REAL issue and thats our Qb, NOT ARIANS AND NOT TOMLIN.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:17 am

Scalaid6 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:As I said, the problem with this analysis is that is solves nothing.

Coaches cant MAKE you UNDERSTAND D sir. Is it Bellichick making Brady good or the other way around? Is it Dungy making Manning good or the other way around? So the coaches started coaching when byron came in? NO! Byron made correct audibles and called hot routes and Ben either did not or did them poorly. Lets address the REAL issue and thats our Qb, NOT ARIANS AND NOT TOMLIN.

You're not listening. That's not what I said.

I said...Ben is our QB- THAT will not change- they ain't getting rid of a guy they shelled out 4102 m to.

So...design an offense that MITIGATES Ben's weaknesses.

Our current offense DOES NOT DO THAT.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:33 am

Yer so fulla SHIT, dude.

To quote what I wrote elsewhere...
Steeledge wrote:[Ben] was shaking off aches and pains after almost every play. He was rubbing and rolling his neck early in the 2Q after that mauling facemask during the one sack. That was early, and it just went downhill from there. By mid Q3, he had already taken such a beating that he was completely unsure of himself - like he just bit a windshield at 40 mph all over again. (Aside: anybody remember Tom Brady's expression in the second half of the superbowl? NOBODY can take that kind of a beating and be expected to perform up to par.) With all that abuse, he still stood in there and gave it all he had. :sucrutches:

You sit there on your cushy ass behind a keyboard and talk so though about how Ben let us down, and over and over you ignore the pounding he took all day. You try to make it sound like it was all Ben's fault, and completely absolve the failures of those who are paid to plan the game and to protect our franchise QB. Your obvious chip on your shoulder against Ben has exposed you as a fraud and demonstrates very little football knowledge. No matter how many times you spew it or on how many threads, you look like an idiot, Ben-hating buffoon.

It's as ridiculous as a chick with a way-too-fat ass wearing spandex... :roll:
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Steelers4Tim » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:00 pm

Jeemie wrote:
Scalaid6 wrote:

You're not listening. That's not what I said.

So...design an offense that MITIGATES Ben's weaknesses.

Our current offense DOES NOT DO THAT.

No, it does not. Not even close. I've been saying this since day 1 with Ben.....surround him with a bruising running back, a bruising, run-blocking offensive line, and keep him around 15-20 passes per game, and he could win multiple SB's. Otherwise, see yesterday's game. See the Jagoffs games last year. Every time we drop Ben back into the pocket for a pass, our chances of winning decrease exponentially. Drafting Mendenhall was great, but not when we leave him on the bench behind a much smaller, softer Willie Parker.

The writing is on the wall with Ben, and the front office is setting him up for failure. When you waste PREMIUM draft picks on average blocking TE's like Heath Miller, average WR's like San Antonio Homes, Willie fucking Reid, and Limas Bean Sweed, you're bound to fail. Throw in a couple fucking idiots like Bruce Scarians and Mike Tomlin, and, well, see yesterday.
"If you lead a good life, say your prayers and go to church, when you die you might go to Pittsburgh".
-Steelers folklore

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:09 pm

I am not full of sh*t, actually I'm dumpin all over you and your pathetic excuses, you are the toilet papers sir. I beg to differ. NFL contracts arent guaranteed, only thing guaranteed is the signing bonus. They could get rid of Ben, I think its too early to talk about that though. In regards to devising schemes to fit his strength etc Wisenhunt tried that and Ben resisted. The only thing that will help Ben is 5 seconds to pass and we all know that cant happen all the time.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:12 pm

@STEELERS4TIM,

GOOD POST BROTHER!!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:32 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:@STEELERS4TIM,

GOOD POST BROTHER!!

...from one football-illiterate, "what does the OL do again" ignoramus to another...

:roll: :no: <- the reactions of anybody that's been around Stillers.com for any amount of time...
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:35 pm

Steeledge is about as DUMB as his posts. WOW.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Steelers4Tim » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:44 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:Steeledge is about as DUMB as his posts. WOW.

Yeh, I thought most of the crackheads like Steeledge left.....guess I was wrong. That being said, Scalaid6, keep in mind that we are still going to have a small segment of Steelers fans who want an offense that goes like this:

".....pass, pass, pass, pass, sack, sack, sack, pass, pass, pass, pick, pass, pass, sack, pick, pass, pass, pass, sack.....etc".
"If you lead a good life, say your prayers and go to church, when you die you might go to Pittsburgh".
-Steelers folklore

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby stillchest » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:07 pm

Coach Anderson has given Ben much praise for his understanding of the offense and his ability to recognize the coverage, check out of a play, call hot routes, and make line adjustments....so I will take his word over any poster on this board.

Hines has stated that the WR's as a group need to do a better job understanding hot routes...so I will take his word over any poster on this board.

Take into consideration that the O-line has admitted to failing to communicate and pick up the blitz, which is well documented.

These are serious problems that seem to be magnified against elite defenses...we always are at a disadvantage against fast/undersized defenses and I can not see that changing until our O-line is overhauled.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:42 pm

stillchest wrote:Coach Anderson has given Ben much praise for his understanding of the offense and his ability to recognize the coverage, check out of a play, call hot routes, and make line adjustments....so I will take his word over any poster on this board.

Hines has stated that the WR's as a group need to do a better job understanding hot routes...so I will take his word over any poster on this board.

Take into consideration that the O-line has admitted to failing to communicate and pick up the blitz, which is well documented.

These are serious problems that seem to be magnified against elite defenses...we always are at a disadvantage against fast/undersized defenses and I can not see that changing until our O-line is overhauled.

What did Wisenhunt say about Ben? He said all the right things and then told his Team "Ben cant play fast so we will blitz him and make him think fast" What was the result of that strategy sir? Dont you thinks its ODD that a 5th year starter is STILL seeing 8 in the box and multiple blitzes? Tells me all I need to know.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:13 pm

Steelers4Tim wrote:No, it does not. Not even close. I've been saying this since day 1 with Ben.....surround him with a bruising running back, a bruising, run-blocking offensive line, and keep him around 15-20 passes per game, and he could win multiple SB's. Otherwise, see yesterday's game. See the Jagoffs games last year. Every time we drop Ben back into the pocket for a pass, our chances of winning decrease exponentially. Drafting Mendenhall was great, but not when we leave him on the bench behind a much smaller, softer Willie Parker.

The writing is on the wall with Ben, and the front office is setting him up for failure. When you waste PREMIUM draft picks on average blocking TE's like Heath Miller, average WR's like San Antonio Homes, Willie fucking Reid, and Limas Bean Sweed, you're bound to fail. Throw in a couple fucking idiots like Bruce Scarians and Mike Tomlin, and, well, see yesterday.

I agree with your diagnosis, but not your solution...because your solution is too simplistic.

It always has been.

Taking the TE out of the offense save as a blocker would be the STUPIDEST thing to do.

Reverting to a neanderthal offense would also be a stupid thing to do.

There are other ways to help Ben without resorting to three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense.

As a matter of fact, many of Ben's problems stem from the fact that we still, to a large degree, RUN that kind of offense.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:15 pm

stillchest wrote:Coach Anderson has given Ben much praise for his understanding of the offense and his ability to recognize the coverage, check out of a play, call hot routes, and make line adjustments....so I will take his word over any poster on this board.

Not that I agree with Tim's or scalaid's solution to Ben's "issues", but if Ben can do those things, why doesn't he?

Why did Lefty come in and immediately call a hot route, and it worked? (And don't give me any "garbage time" garbage. The Eagles were still bringing it when Lefty came in).

I don't doubt that there are issues with this in the OL and WRs as well- I have no reason to doubt these guys' words- but when's the last time you saw Ben check out of a bad play? Call a good hot route?

Not very often.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby dukemcfister » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:26 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:Lets be honest, Ben is what he is. A big, strong Qb who has diffulculties reading defenses. In his 1st season he was protected by a strong running game, how many time did he pass that season? Similar to Jamarcus Russell. Thats the reason he and former O coordinator Ken Wisenhunt had a MANY a falling out. Thats why "Wiz" blitzed him like crazy when they beat us last season. What was the result? Sacks and ints when it counted. You see if a Qb has problems processing information the best thing to do is to make him play fast and force him into mistakes. This is the book on Big Ben. We will see alot of this from here on out, so you guys can blame Tomlin, blame Arians but the one who should bare the most blame is the on who is actually on the field. He fails to audible, fails to hot route, he throws into double coverage (shows inpatience), gets intentional grounding in the endzone and made it a two possesion game. When will he learn to throw the ball at his wrs feet and live to fight another down? If you give Ben time he will kill you but so will ANY NFL quarterback. The test is what a qb does under durress, thats the measuring stick. Ben is in his 5th year and coordinators are STILL putting 8 in the box, blitzing and daring him to beat them. Notice Philly didnt do that to Romo last week? Film does not lie and come Monday Night the Ravens will be coming and if Ben doesnt learn to check down or hit his hout routes he wont last (injured). Its no coincidence that when Byron got in there were on more line problems and yes they did blitz him, he just got rid of the ball (heath (2), nate Washington) and that rendered the blitz ineffective. I know you guys are looking for the next Bradshaw but Ben is not him, if he doesnt "get it" in his 5 the season, I wonder if he ever will. Just being honest guys.

I don't wholeheartedly disagree with your post, but there are some things in here I would like to point out. First of all, the Arizona game last year was as close to seeing our O line manhandled like it was yesterday as I ever have. the fault of this does not go onto Big Ben. It goes to the staff on the offensive side of the ball, particularly Scarians. He is just an awful coordinator, and his know-nothnig, do-nothing game lpan and series of non-adjustments yesterday were frighteningly similar to that game last year. In fact, I can remember being at Sports Rock watching that game and practically spitting my Buffalo Wings out yelling "Where are the fucking screen passes? where's the fucking Draw play? get #83 involved in the damn passing game, etc", which is a mirror image of my tirades while over at the folks place watching the game with my dad who would have strangled Scarians with his Terrible towel if he could have gotten it around his throat. As far as the audible and such, Big Ben is not very adept at this, and does read defenses quite slowly at times, but the man coverage of the Eagles was superb yesterday, the routes were predicatable, and the Steelers did not use nearly enough 2-3 TE sets to make the middle of the field more accesible. for your QB to be successful i the NFL, you have to have a game plan that adjusts and adapts to what you are being given, and which allows you to be successful. That clearly was not the case yesterday. It just dumbfounds me how they can keep such an unimaginative, semi-retarded dude around to run an offense that does have some decent weaponry. The reason Philly did not blitz Romo w=last week is because he has a coordinator in Dallas who utilizes the TE, the Slant, the Screen, the Draw, etc. that ind of defense would never work aganist Romo, as the receivers that Dallas has as well as Witten, Barber, etc. would have eaten them alive even worse than they did. Ben has the wweapons here, it is just that the coaching staff has no clue how to utilize them. When we got down by a TD, they fucking started to panic instead of slowing the game down a bit, bringing in Mendenhall to plowm through an undersized front 7, and making the adjustments that needed to be made to allow the team to win. Instead, he kept dropping Ben back into the Gun and trying to throw downfield and making zero adjustments to what the D was giving him. Arians has a tendency to panic when things to get hairy for the O, and makes terrible calls which do not put Ben or the O in any kind of a position to be successful. Ben has good feet when he has room to scramble, as well as a very accurate arm, but clearly does not make some of the brightest decisions at times, holds on to the ball to long, misses wide open and instead opts to throw into coverage, does not read blitzes all that well when he does audible, and has a paper mache line in front of him that if provoked, cannot handle the duties as they need to. No, Ben will never be another Bradshaw, but he is an above average Quarterback who can make things happen many times when other QB's would not be able to do so, and is very capable of leading more than 1 team to the Super Bowl providing he is given a better array of decision makers (re: Scarlins, Tomlin, etc.) that will allow his tools to be maximized and his weaknesses to be masked the same as most other sucessful QB's do that have anything more than a half-penny shitbrain making the calls.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby stillchest » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:43 pm

What did Wisenhunt say about Ben? He said all the right things and then told his Team "Ben cant play fast so we will blitz him and make him think fast" What was the result of that strategy sir? Dont you thinks its ODD that a 5th year starter is STILL seeing 8 in the box and multiple blitzes? Tells me all I need to know.

Not so much that Ben can not play fast, as much as our O-line fails to communicate and coordinate with the WR's.

When I see, DL-men getting a free run at the QB, while he is three steps into a five step drop, there is a complete breakdown in the O-line from a communication standpoint.

We had two linemen not block anyone on two of the sacks. We struggle to seal edge-rushers, Smith is barely passable in pass pro...Colon is horrific...we can not sealrytha the edges. Hartwig and Kemo allow much penetration, and both seem to be confused pre-snap. Our O-line is slow to set and anchor and a undersized-speed defense has always given us problems...big mismatch.

Your reference to what Whiz said, was stated in 2005, Kenny Anderson stated this past off-season that Ben has become very good at defensive scheme recognition....what the defense is trying to do. I have no reason to doubt that.

You rarely see Ben throw throw the ball in

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:59 pm

theres nothing wrong with ben.

ben is one of the top three qbs in the nfl.

tom brady looked bad against the giants. every qb will have a bad game every year.

scalaid you are a troll idiot.

ben cant DO anything when defenders are running right through the oline and getting to ben in one second. LITERALLY several plays they were IN BENS FACE in one second i watched it happen. running right between hartwig and simmons UNTOUCHED.

got an answer for that douchebreath scalaid?

bens short routes were all blanketed with no free tight ends or receivers once eagles realized they could get to him faster than his receivers could get open down field.

our o line let us down. but they are all career backups except for smith so what do you expect?

kemo
hartwig
simmons
colon

ALL ARE BACKUP MATERIAL.

none are starter worthy

eighty percent of this years o line is CRAP.

they will do fine against average to crappy teams.

SO WHAT.....

they will get spanked every time we play a good defense.

hartings retired.

faneca got away

were done till next years draft

big ben is not the bad guy here. he was sacked about 15 times. unofficially but being smashed into the ground by a 300 to 340 pound dude 15 times and HIT another ten times will crush any qb.

peyton manning or tom brady would have been on a stretcher going to the hospital by halftime.

Next

Return to Stillers Talk