Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Ben needs to call out his o-line already

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Ben needs to call out his o-line already

Postby Fire Arians » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:21 pm

how long has he been saying 'my offensive line is great' or 'did a great job'? it's time he tells them the truth and how they need to get their shit together

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Ben needs to call out his o-line already

Postby indysteel » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:48 pm

Not sure it matters.

These men are paid to play football. Getting called out, yelled at by the coach, etc..etc...does NOT motivate them. This is not junior high school football. This is a profession and the other side is getting paid to. They get paid to produce. Nothing more or less. I do NOT give one hoot in hell why the can or cannot do something. You either get it done, or we should find someone who can. It's just that damn simple. I use this approach everyday at work in my profession and it works. No motivating, no "understanding your perspective," no trying to "be politically correct." You either do it and do it right, or you get eliminated.

I'll borrow a page from Noll...."if you need to be motivated, your on the wrong team."

IF THEY HAVE TO BE CALLED OUT BY BR7 TO BE MOTIVATED AND GET THEIR SHIT TOGETHER, WE ARE IN ALOT WORSE SHAPE THAN ANYONE REALIZES.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:54 pm

indysteel wrote:These men are paid to play football. Getting called out, yelled at by the coach, etc..etc...does NOT motivate them.

If it happens too often then I agree. They are still human and most of them have pride so it could work in the right scenario...uhhh.... like now. But, I wouldn't do it publicly since that would be total bullshit. Privately, Ben needs to question their pride and intestinal fortitude. Publicly, he needs to NOT give them bogus lip service credit until they earn it (i.e. they show some consistency and do it more than one week in a row).

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:58 pm

There was an article in this weeks paper where the O-line said they needed to keep Ben from getting hit so much, after the scare with Sean Rogers falling on him in Cleveland.

These fucks are all talk. We saw their true selfs today.

O-line coach should be fire - today!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:23 pm

Can you really call out a line which has guys that have never shown to be any good besides marvel? Maybe if they had a bunch of players who were good in the past and just were under performing, but ben probably realizes he's playing with below avg nfl linemen who should be at best backups spread around the leage.

I mean if you were the q who played with these guys everyday in practce and realized therse were players that just dont have the talent to be good nfl linemen would you actually call them out?

bens body language looks to me as if he knows there is not a thing he could say or do to help the situation, he looks like a defeated man that realizes he has no chance to compete rite now with the current line thier fielding!

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:31 pm

No one is truly as bad as the line played today so... yes you can call them out. That was a gutless effort and that deserves being called out.

Can you honestly say that you expect them to play that bad every week??? That they played to their capability??? Bullshit... there were mental mistakes everywhere and that is just inexcusable!

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:33 pm

darthsteel wrote:Can you really call out a line which has guys that have never shown to be any good besides marvel? Maybe if they had a bunch of players who were good in the past and just were under performing, but ben probably realizes he's playing with below avg nfl linemen who should be at best backups spread around the leage.

I mean if you were the q who played with these guys everyday in practce and realized therse were players that just dont have the talent to be good nfl linemen would you actually call them out?

bens body language looks to me as if he knows there is not a thing he could say or do to help the situation, he looks like a defeated man that realizes he has no chance to compete rite now with the current line thier fielding!

2 thoughts:

1. If our o-linemen are below avg nfl linemen (and all signs are that they suck), then Kevin Colbert should be fired. Now!

2. If Ben's hand is hurt, maybe he should take some time off to get healthy rather than risk his career playing behind this O-line cause this line isn't getting fixed this year.

Practice Squad

Postby derfsandmuskie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:47 pm

Some very good points mentioned. The fact that the players on the o-line do not have the physcial tools to be a top unit is really scary. Are these players not fast enough, strong enough or smart enough to play at a high level or is the coaching not doing the job? Please try to answer this!
Derfsandmuskie=aboyandhisdog

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:33 pm

You are also dealing with the fact that these oline players were drafted by cower as run blockers, he wanted to throw 15 to 20 times a game and run 35 to 40 with 260lb bettis for 3-4 yds a carry(sprinkled in with parker and others).
I am guessing cower's plan would have been to get another big back in here to compliment willy and continue with his style of football.

tomlin wants a 50-50 split and I do not think these players are cut out for a gameplan thats designed for a 25-30 pass day against a half way decent team.

It looks like the plan was to throw first and run second do to the success dallas had last week.But it is obvious this unit will only be competative against the bad to avg defenses in the leage.

You could run on the crap teams even if they know your coming , but when the good teams know your running it wont work and you have to be able to pass. There is no hiding like we did against the browns and texans.

you dont have a 260 lb back and you just drafted another 225 lb'er, so tomlin is going to keep his ship pointed at the 50-50 split which means either these guys adjust(doubtfull) or they will be gone(hopefully).

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:21 am

thesteelhammer wrote:O-line coach should be fire - today!

...as in, a can of gasoline, a pack of matches...
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:36 am

darthsteel wrote:he looks like a defeated man that realizes he has no chance to compete rite now with the current line thier fielding!

:suplusone:
Amen, bro. (minus all the bad spelling... ;) )
We really saw that today from the end of Q1 on. The only real offense we had after that was when Lefty came in.
Ben had happy feet and was too unsure to have any effectiveness in the passing game. He had no confidence, and so many times the deer-in-the-crosshairs effect seemed to keep him from actually releasing the ball.
It really looked like Ben was running for his freaking life, and now so many are bitching about him "holding it for too long" again, and how lousy a job he did.
They fail to see that this wasn't the poor guy's fault.
Nobody can be expected to endure that kind of a beat-down and still be effective.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:46 am

darthsteel wrote:You are also dealing with the fact that these oline players were drafted by cower...

...umm, wrong from the start...
You give Cowher (note the spelling) way too much credit. He had Ken Wisenhunt at the end, and they worked with what they were given, because "it is what it is..."
It's Colbert that's been making these decisions for way too long, it's Colbert that doesn't have a fucking clue, and it's Colbert that's fucked things up for years...

Arians needs to go now, and He needs to go by season's end if we are to dream of any future.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:19 am

"I'll borrow a page from Noll...."if you need to be motivated, your on the wrong team.""

Not actually. Noll knew how to read and write the English language.

Seriously though, Ben shared some of the blame. Did you notice that when Leftwich just stood in the pocket and passed the ball he was more effective than Ben was with his scrambling?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:10 am

Coke Oven wrote:"I'll borrow a page from Noll...."if you need to be motivated, your on the wrong team.""

Seriously though, Ben shared some of the blame. Did you notice that when Leftwich just stood in the pocket and passed the ball he was more effective than Ben was with his scrambling?

lol, what planet are some of you people from?

first nfl game, or at least first time seeing a backup come in when the game is put away by the opposition?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:21 am

darthsteel wrote:
Coke Oven wrote:"I'll borrow a page from Noll...."if you need to be motivated, your on the wrong team.""

first nfl game, or at least first time seeing a backup come in when the game is put away by the opposition?

This is the second time you've had to be told that the Eagles did not let up on defense when Leftwich came into the game.

They blitzed 5-6 on his first two passes (don't you remember that one of them clawed his throat?)- they only backed out of that when he completed them.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:30 am

Jeemie wrote:
darthsteel wrote:

This is the second time you've had to be told that the Eagles did not let up on defense when Leftwich came into the game.

They blitzed 5-6 on his first two passes (don't you remember that one of them clawed his throat?)- they only backed out of that when he completed them.

the 2nd pass was imcomplete!

people trying to make a point on 9 leftwich dropbacks in which he was sacked once when his team was trailing by 2 scores with under 2 minutes in the game is just idiotic.

Return to Stillers Talk