Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » What would YOU do with this "Offensive' line?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Re: What would YOU do with this "Offensive' line?

Postby El Nino » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:15 am

after a little bit of cooling off, i don't know if the o-line is totally to blame so much as our gameplanning.

leftwich came in and connected on some quick hitters, and i was often wondering why the heck we werent doing more of those quick slant patterns when we knew the blitzes would be coming. There were plays being called that were slow to develop, bad news if your o-line has trouble blocking so why not gameplan around this weakness?

Wouldn't this offense benefit from a short/quick passing game anyway? we have loads of talent on the offense with willie, holmes, ward, miller, and nate who sometimes looks great. you dont have to chuck it 50 yards down the field in order for them to be a threat, dunk it off to them quick and allow that talent to make plays. That and i suppose plays designed to throw the ball a lot sooner would help ben at least survive this season without getting seriously injured. I'm already worried that he won't make it through the season. After 3 games he's got an injured shoulder and hand both on the throwing arm. not good :no:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:52 am

El Nino wrote:after a little bit of cooling off, i don't know if the o-line is totally to blame so much as our gameplanning.

leftwich came in and connected on some quick hitters, and i was often wondering why the heck we werent doing more of those quick slant patterns when we knew the blitzes would be coming. There were plays being called that were slow to develop, bad news if your o-line has trouble blocking so why not gameplan around this weakness?

Wouldn't this offense benefit from a short/quick passing game anyway? we have loads of talent on the offense with willie, holmes, ward, miller, and nate who sometimes looks great. you dont have to chuck it 50 yards down the field in order for them to be a threat, dunk it off to them quick and allow that talent to make plays. That and i suppose plays designed to throw the ball a lot sooner would help ben at least survive this season without getting seriously injured. I'm already worried that he won't make it through the season. After 3 games he's got an injured shoulder and hand both on the throwing arm. not good :no:

...Cooling off comes after the firing.
All you've said here about game planning points directly at Arians.
If you and I and Hammer and so many others here can see it, why can't he?!?!
He's incompetent, as he's already admitted, and he doesn't know what the fuck he's doing.
He needs to go.
NOW!! :supissed:
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:14 am

The whole damned team was offensive, as in odor. Bad management begets bad players and bad gameplans. Perhaps Drukenmiller(sp) would spend the dough on some quality and knowledgeable management people, head coach on down, and bring back the Steelers of old.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:59 pm

Steeledge wrote:
thesteelhammer wrote:There is nothing to do this year that will make much of a differnce.
You could start Starks over Colon, but it is bigger than one player.

What you do about it long term is:

1. You do whatever you have to do to get a Franchise LT in the first round of the 2009 draft other than trading Ben, Holmes, Marvel, Silverback or Ike.

2. You move Marvel back to RT.

3. Spend the 2nd round pick on the best interior O-linemen available, which shoud be either the top center or one of the top 3 guards in next years draft. That rookie starts.

4. Colon and the this years three interior starters battle for the other two jobs.

..so, it's "duck and cover" for this year then?!?!? :roll:
Well, all I can say Lefty better start next week if that's the route we're going - no sense killing the franchise on a wasted, turtle-time season.

I think if you were here for the draft this past April, you might remember those of us that were screaming for the OL Renovation described above to happen then, with the deepest class of NFL-quality OTs in years.

Aren't you all so glad now that Colbert and Co. refused to listen to us "know nothings," and instead went with a RB that's got a bad case of the dropsies and a WR that doesn't even dress... ;)

I don't disagree with anything Edge said here. (and we don't agree that often.)
:suplusone:

Practice Squad

Postby Basic Oxygen » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:42 am

Back in the 80's, my Old Man used to say "Chuck Noll outta just go in at half-time and pass out pistols." Nuff said.

Previous

Return to Stillers Talk