Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » What would YOU do with this "Offensive' line?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

What would YOU do with this "Offensive' line?

Postby bigjoespompano » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:31 pm

Lke someone said earlier, Our O-Line has now been exposed for the shit pile it really is. So, wadda we do? Suggestions?

Grizzled Veteran

Re: What would YOU do with this "Offensive' line?

Postby indysteel » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:34 pm

Well...it's not like they have never seen a blitz before. It's not as if Johnson dreamed up some exotic scheme to defend against our "potent" offense.

No....what happened today was an old fashioned ass whipping. Nothing more, nothing less.

Everyone -- AND I MEAN EVERYONE -- played a part in it.

You cry about it for about 10 minutes, take a few drinks of Jack Daniels, go home, get some rest...then you forget about it and get on to preparing for the next game.

NOW --- if we suck next week like we did this week......why not fire the entire damn team.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby El Nino » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:37 pm

restructure all their contracts to get paid the league minimum or hit the road after this season's over. o-line needs a ton of work, i've never seen it this bad. ever. i'm sure our practice squad team might have even done better

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:39 pm

they know its shit , thats why they went back to 15 passes a game.

what else can you do?

I knew it was bad , but I had no clue how bad it really is.I have no solutions besides beating the teams that are bad and hoping to slide in a playoff spot which mite happen at 9-7, 10-6!

looking ahead bens entire best yrs mite be behind a poor oline since they usually take 3-4 yrs to build with high round picks!

there is no o linemen on the steelers that you can say"hey we can build behind this guy"

not good, not good!
Last edited by darthsteel on Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:40 pm

Not to be overly dramatic after this loss, but I think the O-line is in relatively bad shape for at least a couple of years after this season, so we have to draft high for a couple of years.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby dukemcfister » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:41 pm

What O line? do we have one of those?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:43 pm

Nel wrote:Not to be overly dramatic after this loss, but I think the O-line is in relatively bad shape for at least a couple of years after this season, so we have to draft high for a couple of years.

agreed 100% but I dont think anyone thought they were as bad as they have shown over the first 3 games.

dropping back 16 times the first game and being sacked 2x and hurried 2x against a team with 31 sacks the prior season is not a good showing no matter how many people were optomistic because of it.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Snockered Pedestrian » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:46 pm

We can't shoot them.
The O-line defecated the bed individually and as a unit.
It comes down to quality of athlete, soundness of scheme, and coaching.
Can the reserves do better? Let's see if they can.
Filthydelphia exposed an inherent weakness in the blocking schemes
that will be exploited until they prove they can keep BR7 upright.
Coaching? Please.

Time for Tomlin to go to work.......yesterday.

Practice Squad

Postby carson palmer's knee » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:49 pm

I would put SWEED, SEPULVEDA and MENDENHALL on the trading block for 2 studs on the O.L.

We are risking the FRANCHISE :supissed: :supissed: :supissed: . This is bullshit.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby deltadweller » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:59 pm

...and we just sent out engraved invitations for every other team to bring extra pressure.

Grizzled Veteran

What would YOU do with this "Offensive' line?

Postby Crucible-steel-kid » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:01 pm

I say that we release and or cut their asses and just take the money saved on them and go after some free agency players. We gotta get a new line in there somehow. There is absolutely no reason for a player the calibre of BR7 to take the beating he did and still somehow expect him to pull a miracle out of the hat for them? What the fuck are they thinking for Christ's Sake already!!!! :evil:
CRUCIBLE STEEL AND SPECIALTY ALLOYS DIVISION. COLT INDUSTRIES. VESUVIUS RESEARCH MIDLAND PENNSYLVANIA.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Fire Arians » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:09 pm

fire arians for being unable to gameplan against the blitz for 2 years in a row. I don't think the sacks given up are due to a lack of talent, but rather bad schemes

Grizzled Veteran

Postby indysteel » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:42 pm

From my vantage point, it would have made NO DIFFERENCE what plays Arians called.

It's call talent fellas....and right now, we do not have a whole lot of that with the O-line.

I've said it once today, but I'll say it again:

IT IS NOT LIKE THEY NEVER SEEN THE BLITZ. JIM JOHNSON OF THE EAGLES DID NOT HAVE SOME NOVEL AND EXOTIC DEFENSE THAT BEFUDDLED THE O-LINE. THE GROUND AND WEATHER WERE NOT FACTORS.

THE SIMPLE TRUTH IS THE O-LINE GOT THEIR ASS WHIPPED. IF THEY DON'T FIND A CURE, THEY'LL GET THEIR ASS WHIPPED NEXT MONDAY NIGHT AS WELL. END OF STORY.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:50 pm

There is nothing to do this year that will make much of a differnce.
You could start Starks over Colon, but it is bigger than one player.

What you do about it long term is:

1. You do whatever you have to do to get a Franchise LT in the first round of the 2009 draft other than trading Ben, Holmes, Marvel, Silverback or Ike.

2. You move Marvel back to RT.

3. Spend the 2nd round pick on the best interior O-linemen available, which shoud be either the top center or one of the top 3 guards in next years draft. That rookie starts.

4. Colon and the this years three interior starters battle for the other two jobs.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:51 pm

I'm reminded of Tampa Bay's first coach, John McKay, when asked what he thought of his team's execution. He paused a moment and said, "well, I think it might be a good idea."

Obviously, they sucked. They weren't ready. They missed assignments. They didn't adjust. They looked as bad today as last year's unit did in Arizona, if not worse. And, to make things worse, the Steelers don't have really good blockers at tight end and fullback. So even when they tried to go max protect, Ben didn't get any time at all.

Heath Miller doesn't seem like much of a blocker, and Spaeth is worthless back there. Corey Davis seems adequate.

So what's left? McHugh at H-back or something?

Obviously, if Ben spends every afternoon running for his life, the timing patters won't work and even the short passing game won't work.

Obviously, the team rebounded after last year's desert debacle, but this year's schedule offers few respites. This doesn't look good, and I don't see any silver linings. :suxfingers: I obviously overestimated the o-line's performance in the first two games, and I can only hope I'm underestimating it's potential now.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:53 pm

Homer J wrote:the Steelers don't have really good blockers at tight end and fullback. So even when they tried to go max protect, Ben didn't get any time at all.

Heath Miller doesn't seem like much of a blocker, and Spaeth is worthless back there. Corey Davis seems adequate.

[/color].

I miss Mark Brunner. :shock:
Can't believe I just said that. :D

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:00 pm

thesteelhammer wrote:There is nothing to do this year that will make much of a differnce.

1. You do whatever you have to do to get a Franchise LT in the first round of the 2009 draft other than trading Ben, Holmes, Marvel, Silverback or Ike.

3. Spend the 2nd round pick on the best interior O-linemen available, which shoud be either the top center or one of the top 3 guards in next years draft. That rookie starts.

4. Colon and the this years three interior starters battle for the other two jobs.

One thing I would do today, even though it might not help any, is
FIRE the O-line coach. :sushootem:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby jstallworth82 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:24 am

I make a trade immediately like Nate for a quality O-Lineman. send a message and get a leader for the O-Line we need someone who can make adjustments at the line. Hartwig should be doing this but evidently noone is.
Can not blame Arians.... Tomlin made him OC so it is his fault. He should have found someone more qualified. But I do fire the Line coach tonight period.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:53 am

thesteelhammer wrote:There is nothing to do this year that will make much of a differnce.

..so, it's "duck and cover" for this year then?!?!? :roll:
Well, all I can say Lefty better start next week if that's the route we're going - no sense killing the franchise on a wasted, turtle-time season.

I think if you were here for the draft this past April, you might remember those of us that were screaming for the OL Renovation described above to happen then, with the deepest class of NFL-quality OTs in years.

Aren't you all so glad now that Colbert and Co. refused to listen to us "know nothings," and instead went with a RB that's got a bad case of the dropsies and a WR that doesn't even dress... ;)
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:02 am

jstallworth82 wrote:Can not blame Arians....

BULLSHIT!! :supissed:
This rests SQUARELY on him.

jstallworth82 wrote:Tomlin made him OC so it is his fault. He should have found someone more qualified.

So Arians just gets a pass and stays on board because the rookie HC made a mistake?!?!?
FUCK THAT!!!
NOW'S the PERFECT OPPORTUNITY to get that "someone more qualified", and still maybe salvage something from THIS season.

Hell, what's Brian Billick been up to?
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Next

Return to Stillers Talk