Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Tomlin explains Mendenhall's RB absence against Browns

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Tomlin explains Mendenhall's RB absence against Browns

Postby Nel » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:09 am

Well, I finally have an answer to the question that has bothered me since Sunday: why didn't Tomlin use Rashard in the backfield? Personally, I don't trust Tomlin's penchant for making these "intuitive" decisions. It seems as if he is making decisions on the basis of intangible things like this every week. Willie had a look in his eye? :suahhbs:

RB Rashard Mendenhall had no carries in Cleveland but could get some in Philadelphia. Coach Mike Tomlin said he planned to use his rookie against the Browns but stuck with Willie Parker because “Willie had that look in his eye.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... eam_report

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Tomlin explains Mendenhall's RB absence against Browns

Postby Homer J » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:11 pm

There's no reason why a head coach should always tell the truth when asked a question by a reporter.

Do you expect him to say, "I was worried about using a rookie with a case of fumble-itis during a rainstorm, when I had an all-pro who was doing a good job and holding on to the ball?"

Tomlin handled it with a little white lie, and with class. Mendenhall is a bit part of the future of this team. Why insult the kid or talk him down because a reporter asks him a question?

Coach's responsibility is to his team, and not the media. :sucope: :sucope: :sucope: :sucope: :sucope:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby El Nino » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:37 pm

well for a rookie that has had fumbling problems in the preseason, i wouldn't have felt comfortable putting him in a game we only won by 4 pts. a costly turnover at a bad time and we could have easily lost this game. in these close games you go with experience, especially when the guy is willie parker

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:12 pm

Homer J wrote:There's no reason why a head coach should always tell the truth when asked a question by a reporter.

Do you expect him to say, "I was worried about using a rookie with a case of fumble-itis during a rainstorm, when I had an all-pro who was doing a good job and holding on to the ball?"

Tomlin handled it with a little white lie, and with class. Mendenhall is a bit part of the future of this team. Why insult the kid or talk him down because a reporter asks him a question?

Coach's responsibility is to his team, and not the media. :sucope: :sucope: :sucope: :sucope: :sucope:

It does sound like a B. S. thing for Tomlin to say.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby lloydrules » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Homer J wrote:There's no reason why a head coach should always tell the truth when asked a question by a reporter.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Return to Stillers Talk