Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Some food for thought

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Some food for thought

Postby BigE » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:27 pm

Hey Stiller fans, some just something that makes you go hummmmmmmmmmmm! Through 2 weeks of the season, our cornerback Ike Taylor is leading the team with 12 solo tackles. This is 6 more than either of our "vaunted" ILB's. In a defense designed to allow the backers to make tackles, this strikes me as very odd. It's more proof to the fact that Footsy and Farrior are nothing but frauds.

Practice Squad

Re: Some food for thought

Postby The Truth » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:24 pm

If you look at the game logs most of Ike's tackles, except maybe 2, have been from the right side.

Farrior has 10 total tackles so far.

Foote has 10

Harrison 13

Woodley 6

Timmons 6

You are splitting hairs here. The CBs in a 3-4 D are supposed to be good tacklers and are expected to come up and make tackles.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:51 pm

If that's food for thought, I'm gonna starve.

People make tackles because of where the play goes, who strips the blocking, who fails to tackle, and a whole host of reasons.

Troy P didn't make a tackle when he went over the top against the Clowns, but he broke up the play. Should the guys who made the tackle get more credit than he should on that play?

It's WAAAAY too early to be trumpeting statistics at this point in the season. As a friend of mine who does polling for a living often tells me, if the statistical sample is too small, the numbers don't mean shit.

The only stat about the defense that I care about is that - with the game on the line - they pitched two shutouts. If you're worried about the garbage time points that the Texans ran up after the score was 35-3 and Benji was pulled, then life is really good. So far -- and I admit it's early -- the defense has been terrific and (other than one injury) has been no cause for worry whatsoever. Zero touchdowns with the game still undecided. That's pretty good.
:sudancin: :sudancin: :sudancin:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby BigE » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:03 pm

Obviously, you guys are in love with both of these worthless non-playmakers.

Practice Squad

Postby The Truth » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:52 pm

Actually Im not.

I am looking forward to seeing more of Timmons. Who isnt?

Farrior is still a top ILB in the league. You just fall in love with everything Mill says. Thats fine. But those stats were a reach.

Foote laid out J Lewis in the Clev game. It was a sweet, surprising flash from him. For all that he lacks he plays hard. But, he is clearly not at the level of Timmons. I truly believe that he will be phased out more and more as the season progresses. Have some patience.

Farrior is a player. And when Foote gets demoted to the bench, who do you want in there? Fox?

To put Foote, a late round pick with questionable measurables, in the class of Farrior (just to bash), who was a 1st round talent/pick/measurables, is foolish.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:33 pm

I'm not in love with them either. Although I'd have Farrior on my team any day. There's a reason he was a first round draft choice and an all-pro selection.

But I love the way LeBeau waits to bring young players into his complex defenses....not bringing them in 'till they fully understand their roles. He waited on Troy for a year. He waited most of the year with Woodley, but put him in more and more last year. They've become stars, and haven't been burned that often.

Timmons was still a teen when drafted. He's gonna be great and we all know it. But he's still very young and inexperienced. And in a defense where he'll be doing a lot of pass coverage, a mistake could lead to a score. Look at what happened when Clark went down last year and we put in Anthony Smith. Green and overeager DB's and LB's get suckered and eaten alive. No matter how much talent they have.

I'm sure we're going to see a lot more of Timmons week by week. He's gonna be that good. But let LeBeau pick and choose his spots.....You don't want to mindfuck a kid who's gonna be superstar by having him get beat and suckered. This is a very good defense now...and it's gonna get better, 'cause they're setting up Timmons to succeed. Calm down. :cheers:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby jstallworth82 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:06 am

I am so sick of everyone bashing Farrior. Just becase you have some young talent he is automatically no good. He has had over 100 tackles every year. He is not injury prone, doesn't whine, and is actually believe it or not a good ILB and his intensity is second to none. I did not see him holding out demanding a big payday or whinning to the media. I guarantee you the 2 boys you are whinning about will be asking for way more than they are worth very soon. And really what have they done. You mark my words as soon as they get to be starters the novelty will wear off and the league will learn their tendencies and attack them and they will be bums as soon as another young gun appears in the locker room. I remember another LB a ew years back, won Def Rookie of the Year and then what got hurt traded and poof gone.

Return to Stillers Talk