Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Rivalry or let down?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Rivalry or let down?

Postby thesteelhammer » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:23 pm

Steelers verse Eagles.
An In-State Rivary.
Big game for the fans, but is it as big a game to the players?
I mean, it's not a divisional opponent, so it isn't as big a game for the division title. It's not an AFC foe that might matter more in the home-field advantage in the play-off race.

So if there was to be a let down by the players, it might be either be the Eagles, Redskins, or Giants.
This might be that let down game cause we all hate Dallas to much to let down in that game. And who wants to lose to a Manning?

Plus the game comes on the heals of the tradional rivalry with the stains.

Trap game?

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Rivalry or let down?

Postby Hi5Steeler » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:08 am

its no rivalry

eagles fans may hate steeler fans but i could give a fucking rats ass.

it dont matter.

the eagles fucked up by not making it work with T.O. and now they will NEVER win another superbowl for twenty years....and ill say that to every fucking eagle fan in the world .

fuckem.

TWO TIMES

Grizzled Veteran

Postby El Nino » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:59 am

i wouldn't call it a trap game, I don't think this team is overlooking the eagles who look sharp this year. It'll be the first test this year for the steelers to see if they can win a tough one on the road

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:57 pm

Every game is a big game to me because I want the Steelers to win every single one of them, and I definitely want them to win this in-state rivalry game because Philly sucks. :lol: I think the Steelers will most definitely want to take down McNabb and the rest of the Philthadelphia Eagles. GO STEELERS! :subngtowl:

Besides, does any NFL team really play to lose other than the Patricheats when they don't want to play against the Steelers in the playoffs?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:58 pm

Not a trap game, 'cause they're damn good and everyone knows it.

Not a rivalry, 'cause they're in the NFL and we don't play them enough. And we're more than 300 miles away. Same state, but different worlds. If we were to meet them once or twice in the Super Bowl, it could become a rivalry. Or if this turned into a body bag game.

Big game. Nasty game.

There are bad fans...and there are Philly fans. They booed Santa Claus. They have a courtroom and jail in their own stadium.
That tells you all you need to know about them.

Lookin' forward to it, and hope nobody ends up on the DL or PUP list when it's all done.

And, of course, I expect Donovan F. McNabb to do something stupid -- or several things stupid -- to change the complexion of the game or determine its outcome.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Nashsteeler » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:24 pm

Good test. Nasty, tough game....but little impact on the eventual tiebreakers and what not, since inter-conference battles don't count for anything when it comes to determining playoff tiebreakers or seeding. Still - it will be very interesting to see how they play against a formidable foe like the Iggles. There are some very tough individual matchups to be found here.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:51 am

If the Stillers reach McNabb often enough, it will be a close game.

But there is a low probability of a Stillers victory, imo.

We'll need luck to pull this one out in Philly.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Iron Gut » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:19 pm

Homer J wrote:Not a trap game, 'cause they're damn good and everyone knows it.

Not a rivalry, 'cause they're in the NFL and we don't play them enough. And we're more than 300 miles away. Same state, but different worlds. If we were to meet them once or twice in the Super Bowl, it could become a rivalry. Or if this turned into a body bag game.

Are the Steelers playing in the CFL?
Sorry, couldn't resist.

But your point is valid. An NFC team that we play sporadically at best means absolutely nothing as a rivalry.

I only consider the Divisional foes as potential rivals. Other than those games, it is fun to hate the Pats and Cowboys but if you don't play them frequently enough, it means a lot less to the team in the grand scheme of things.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:10 pm

Nel wrote:But there is a low probability of a Stillers victory, imo.

Ya think? I don't know about that. I guess I give our Steelers more credit than you do. That's not to say that I'm not nervous about the game because I'm a nervous wreck during every game. The Steelers are going to be the death of me, I swear. :lol:

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:16 pm

steelerette wrote:
Nel wrote:But there is a low probability of a Stillers victory, imo.

Ya think? I don't know about that. I guess I give our Steelers more credit than you do. That's not to say that I'm not nervous about the game because I'm a nervous wreck during every game. The Steelers are going to be the death of me, I swear. :lol:

I hope you are correct by giving the team more credit about the chances for W in Philly.

I don't get nervous during the games, although when I was younger I was much more identified with and nervous about what happened. I'm part of the "over 50" crowd.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:36 pm

Iron Gut wrote:An NFC team that we play sporadically at best means absolutely nothing as a rivalry.

So, is that how we'll approach December 7th, when the Cowfags come into Heinz Field? :roll: I think not, not with the history between us.
I think it's similar with the Iggles, too, although maybe not quite as intense.

THIS IS RIVALRY! It's not about playoff implications or tiebreakers or home-field advantage in the playoffs or any other mathematics.

It's about history, territory, and passion for the game. :sufootballhelmet:
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:36 pm

Steeledge wrote:It's about history, territory, and passion for the game. :sufootballhelmet:

Then we've been getting our asses kicked.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:02 pm

thesteelhammer wrote:
Steeledge wrote:It's about history, territory, and passion for the game. :sufootballhelmet:

Then we've been getting our asses kicked.

That's the history, buck-o.

Time for payback comes tomorrow at 4:15 in a place that will definitely be up for it.

p.s.
A thought: Do you think Elton John was praising the city when he sang about "Philadelphia Freedom"?
When you consider that the word philadelphia actually translates to "brotherly love", it might paint a clearer picture...
I'll giggle my ass off tomorrow when they play the song while the Eagles are "coming out" onto the field... 8-)

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:54 pm

Steeledge wrote:So, is that how we'll approach December 7th, when the Cowfags come into Heinz Field? :roll: I think not, not with the history between us.
I think it's similar with the Iggles, too, although maybe not quite as intense.

THIS IS RIVALRY! It's not about playoff implications or tiebreakers or home-field advantage in the playoffs or any other mathematics.

It's about history, territory, and passion for the game. :sufootballhelmet:

Not much Passion there today edge.
Looked like a let down.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:58 am

thesteelhammer wrote:Not much Passion there today edge.
Looked like a let down.

...embarrassingly so, especially by the "Offense"... :oops:

Return to Stillers Talk