Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Ben has more receptions than Nate & Mewelde combined

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

Ben has more receptions than Nate & Mewelde combined

Postby fabber » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:56 pm

Sack is now a completion, and it lowers Big Ben's stats

Thursday, September 18, 2008
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The good news for Ben Roethlisberger is he now has one fewer sack, one more completion and more pass receptions than Nate Washington and Mewelde Moore.

The bad news: His league-leading passer rating dropped.

The Elias Sports Bureau, which handles statistics for the National Football League, has taken away a sack against Roethlisberger in Sunday's 10-6 victory in Cleveland after reviewing video of the play.

The play occurred with 10:51 in the second quarter when Roethlisberger was sacked by Browns nose tackle Shaun Smith -- one of three registered by Cleveland. Elias changed the call, saying Roethlisberger was actually attempting a pass, hit one of his linemen in the back with the ball and caught the deflection before being tackled by Smith for a 7-yard loss.

So, instead of his statistics being 12 of 19 for 186 yards with a 113.0 passer rating against the Browns, Roethlisberger is officially credited with being 13 of 20 for 176 yards and a 110.2 passer rating. However, he is also credited with a pass reception -- something Washington, the No. 3 receiver, and Moore, the third-down back, haven't managed in two games.

Because of the yardage loss, Roethlisberger's two-game passer rating changed from 136.3 to 133.9, still enough to lead the NFL over Arizona's Kurt Warner (128.5)

Practice Squad

Re: Ben has more receptions than Nate & Mewelde combined

Postby SNW » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:27 pm

More importantly, the O-Line is allowing sacks at a rate of 32 this year, 32% better than the 47 last year.
1 sack per 9.5 pass attempt, is that better or worse?
Too bad Ben gets hit about 2 times for every "sack".

Ben, as we all know is a double edged sword. You wish he'd throw it away more, but when he extends a play, you cheer like h e l l.

I'd like to see a chart for every time he gets hit, showing the result of the play. Sacks would not be necessary, but cheap shots would.
Anyone got last year on DVD I could borrow?

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Guinness » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:26 pm

SNW wrote:More importantly, the O-Line is allowing sacks at a rate of 32 this year, 32% better than the 47 last year.
1 sack per 9.5 pass attempt, is that better or worse?
Too bad Ben gets hit about 2 times for every "sack".

Ben, as we all know is a double edged sword. You wish he'd throw it away more, but when he extends a play, you cheer like h e l l.

I'd like to see a chart for every time he gets hit, showing the result of the play. Sacks would not be necessary, but cheap shots would.
Anyone got last year on DVD I could borrow?

Contrast Ben with Derek Anderson who never holds onto the ball for more than 2 seconds and rarely gets hit. I went to the Browns game in Pgh last year and saw it again this year that Anderson simply does not scare our defense. He is no threat to run, he is a minimal threat to throw downfield because he won't wait long enough for the play to develop. He never gets hit but a good defense will shut down the Browns offense every single time. I'll stick with Ben.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby jstallworth82 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:13 am

He has more receptions than Mend and Nate. Well Nate and Mend haven't been sacked, Haven't been hurt, Have fewer incomplete passes (0). While what reporting. That just shows the intellegence of the reporters covering the Steelers.

Return to Stillers Talk