Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Let's Talk About the Draft

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Greenhorned Rookie

Let's Talk About the Draft

Postby sarka196 » Mon May 19, 2008 3:14 pm

So, how do you think the Stiller's did in the draft?

1. Rashard Mendenhall, RB - Illinois:
I was hoping one of the stud o-linemen (Brandon Albert) might drop to us, but that did not happen. But, I am happy with the choice of Mendenhall. I had not even considered him being available at 1/23, but he was. Obviously, RB was not our biggest concern, but I love this pick. Mendenhall will be a great addition and compliment FWP well. The only rap I have heard on him is possible ball security issues, but he's a big, strong, north-south runner that can make the first guy miss. He also catches the ball well out of the backfield. I wanted someone in the first round that COULD start right away and I think he could if FWP does not return from injury. I would not be afraid to see him in the starting lineup (not that I think he will beat out FWP). Overall, given the way the draft shaped up...great pick. This was not a reach.

2. Limas Sweed, WR - Texas:
I really like this pick too. Big, rangy WR that Ben has been asking for. I think there were some decent second round O-line talent available, but Sweed gives us a large target (especially around the endzone). My only concern is that Ben may not have the time to gete the ball into his hands. I don't think Sweed will get a whole lot of YAC, but he's shown to have good hands and gets his big body between himself and the defender. He could dominate smaller DB's. Good pick.

3. Bruce Davis, LB - UCLA:
I'm not sold on this pick. Davis played DE at UCLA and was an outstanding pass rusher. He appears to have pretty good athletic ability, but I do not know if he will be able to adapt to the LB position especially in pass coverage. Luckily, I think he will have a couple years to develop before he will really be needed. He sould be a solid backup/ST player this season that can come in and put some pressure on the QB. I would have liked to see a lineman here.

4. Tony Hills, T - Texas:
I think Hills is a solid pick. As with a few other picks, he had some injury problems his senior year. But, he played on a National Title team and looks like he can add some depth to the o-line. I think the Stillers may move Colon to guard and have Starks starting RT. Hills should be a good backup to them. He could develop into a starter in a few years.

5. Dennis Dixon, QB - Oregon:
This is an interesting pick. Dixon was having a great season his senior year until he got injured and could have led Oregon into the National Championship had he stayed healthy. Due to his injury, many say he may not be available at all this season which looks like this would be a wasted pick this season. The guy has a strong arm, but his accuracy is not always on target. He is a very dangerous runner, but you have to wonder about how his injury will affect him. The Steelers have the QB position pretty set, but Batch is getting up there and I think he is in his last contract year. So, maybe they were planning ahead with this pick. Dixon will have a year to develop and reecover from injury, so I don't think we will know if this is a good pick or not until next season. I think the Stillers could have used this pick more wisely.

6. Mike Humpal, LB - Iowa:
Humpal is a depth/ST pick. Was a solid performer in college at Iowa, but not spectacular. I think he is a smart player that plays above his abilities and should make the team and even contribute on ST.

7. Ryan Mundy, S - WV:
Another interesting pick here. I did not see safety as a NEED position, but a couple of contracts expire next year so this could be a "cover your butt" pick in case they let one of the current safeties walk this year or lose them to FA next year. I don't know a whole lot about Mundy, so I won't comment on his abilities.

Overall, a good draft, but not great. I think several of the picks have question marks and there were some other directions we could have gone. But, I don't really dislike any of the picks. A few of them have me scratching my head a little, but I can see the thinking behind them somewhat. What say you?
Marines should come with warning labels.

Greenhorned Rookie

Re: Let's Talk About the Draft

Postby Pittsburgh » Mon May 19, 2008 3:59 pm

Wait... Was i supposed to actually read that?

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon May 19, 2008 9:01 pm

Overall I like the players Colbert drafted, but I am concerned that not enough has been done to help the O-line.

1. Rashard Mendenhall, RB - Illinois:
While I think we really needed an O-lineman who could come in and start from day one, they were long gone, and I was pleased that there wasn't a reach pick here. (NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM had Mendenhall listed as the 19th best player in the draft, and he was widely regarded as the #2 or 3 RB in the draft.)
All you have to do is what the Illinois game against Ohio State to see that he is a stud, and with Parker coming off injury, the pick makes sense.

I do think the real choice was Mendenhall or Mike Jenkins, the CB from USF. If Ike starts getting burned, DeShea's wheels finally fall off, or McFadden can't take the next step, we might all be wishing Jenkins had been the pick.

2. Limas Sweed, WR - Texas:
Sweed was arguably the "best player available" (NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM had Sweed listed as the 33rd best player in the draft.), but once again, not the biggest need in my book because Holmes looks like the real deal and Ward still has tread left on the tires. Sure the Steelers needed a #3, but I'm not sure we needed to invest a second round pick in it. (But there was still a huge vacum at OT from the run on them in the first round.) Still, I like the player, and Ben should be happy because he got the tall/big WR he asked for. (Let's just hope he asks for O-linemen next season)

3. Bruce Davis, LB - UCLA:
A DE they'll convert to OLB. We know how these go - boom or bust. Still Davis has the numbers at UCLA to prove that he is the real deal as a pass rusher, and once again the value seems to be there. (NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM had Davis listed as the 70th best player in the draft.)
I also would have liked to see a lineman here, but with Haggans departure this was worth the risk.

4. Tony Hills, T - Texas:
I really like this pick. Hills is a former TE, and has only been playing OT for a few years. He has the feet to play OT, but still has a lot to learn about the position. In my opinion, his inexperience combined with breaking his leg in 2007 caused him to slip on draft boards. Hills should be good for depth this year, with much potential for the future.

5. Dennis Dixon, QB - Oregon:
Hate this pick. Inaccurate, injured, and just reminds me or Kordell "slash" Stewart way too much. Also QB was not a need.

6a. Mike Humpal, LB - Iowa:
Solid late round pick. Not the greatest athlete, but a tough guy who had 121 tackles this season. Should be good depth.

6b. Ryan Mundy, S - WV:
Former U of M player who transfered to WVU. A solid late round pick. I've seen him listed at 6'1" 208 with a 4.5 40 time, so worth a late 6th round pick with those kind of numbers and experience at two major programs.

One again, I like most the players selected, but have concerns about positions that were not addressed. No Center (let's hope Hartwig works out), No Guards, No Defensive Ends could mean another season of 47 sacks and an inability to stop the run.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm

I thought it might be interesting to see where the pre-draft "Experts" ranked the players drafted by the Steelers. Here's what I've got so far:

1. Rashard Mendenhall, RB - Illinois: 23rd over-all pick
#3 RB by Lindy's pro football draft
#2 RB by T.S.N. draft guide
#2 RB by draftnotebook.com
#2 RB by by footballsfuture.com
#3 RB by profootballweekly.com
19th best player in the draft by profootballweekly.com
19th best player in the draft by NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM
13th best player in the draft by footballsfuture.com

2. Limas Sweed, WR - Texas: 53rd over-all pick
#5 WR by Lindy's pro football draft
#9 WR by T.S.N. draft guide
#2 WR by draftnotebook.com
#4 WR by footballsfuture.com
#1 WR by profootballweekly.com
22nd best player in the draft by profootballweekly.com
33rd best player in the draft by NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM
33rd best player in the draft by footballsfuture.com

3. Bruce Davis, LB - UCLA: 88th over-all pick
#6 OLB by Lindy's pro football draft
#13 OLB by T.S.N. draft guide
#10 DE by footballsfuture.com
192nd best player in the draft by profootballweekly.com
70th best player in the draft by NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM

4. Tony Hills, T - Texas: 130th over-all pick
#12 OT by Lindy's pro football draft
#4 OT by T.S.N. draft guide
#7 OT by footballsfuture.com
170th best player in the draft by profootballweekly.com

5. Dennis Dixon, QB - Oregon: 156th over-all pick
#10 QB by Lindy's pro football draft
#16 QB by T.S.N. draft guide
#8 QB by draftnotebook.com
#7 QB by footballsfuture.com
138th best player in the draft by profootballweekly.com

6a. Mike Humpal, LB - Iowa:188th over-all pick
#18 OLB by Lindy's pro football draft
#18 ILB by T.S.N. draft guide
172nd best player in the draft by profootballweekly.com

6b. Ryan Mundy, S - WV: 194th over-all pick
unranked by listed as "worth watching" by Lindy's pro football draft

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon May 19, 2008 11:42 pm

one of the harsher views of the Steelers draft that I have read:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Day/2008/teamgrades.htm

Pittsburgh
The Steelers reeled in some value in the first and second rounds with the addition of RB Rashard Mendenhall and WR Limas Sweed, adding some playmakers for Ben Roethlisberger. The problem is that he could struggle to stay healthy and may be running for his life with injury-ridden OT Tony Hills, a fourth-round pick, being the only addition to a declining offensive line. Mendenhall and Sweed also were slow to develop in college and may not provide much in the way of immediate returns. LB Bruce Davis was a major reach in the third round. Prior knee injuries could hinder QB Dennis Dixon and LB Mike Humpal from reaching their potential. FS Ryan Mundy could have been signed after the draft.
Grade: C-

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby Steelers4Tim » Mon May 19, 2008 11:58 pm

sarka196 wrote:So, how do you think the Stiller's did in the draft?

7. Ryan Mundy, S - WV:
Another interesting pick here. I did not see safety as a NEED position, but a couple of contracts expire next year so this could be a "cover your butt" pick in case they let one of the current safeties walk this year or lose them to FA next year. I don't know a whole lot about Mundy, so I won't comment on his abilities.

What say you?

Let me say this about Mundy, sarka.....I believe that this kid will not only contribute, but that he will soon become a starter. Ryan could turn out to be the best player we drafted behind Mendenhall. He has all the talent in the world, and I feel we basically stole the kid at #7. Not only does this guy have all the skills needed to play in the NFL, he has a good head on his shoulders, too. In fact, he's one of the few players we have on the roster who can read, write, and form complete sentences.
"If you lead a good life, say your prayers and go to church, when you die you might go to Pittsburgh".
-Steelers folklore

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Tue May 20, 2008 7:36 pm

Steelers4Tim wrote: he's one of the few players we have on the roster who can read, write, and form complete sentences.

That must be why he didn't fit in at U of M?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Wed May 21, 2008 4:47 pm

timmay why are you so high on a sixth round safety? The dude almost went undrafted.

Practice Squad

Postby Todd » Thu May 22, 2008 3:28 am

In fact, he's one of the few players we have on the roster who can read, write, and form complete sentences.

Actually he got an 830 on his SATs, which is a pretty piss poor score. However, he was a very highly touted recruit out of high school. He started a lot of games for Michigan. He is very athletic. He ran a 4.55 at 215 coming off a knee injury and jumped 37 inches, but he was clocked at 4.37 coming out of high school and jumped 39 inches. He's very big, athletic, and knows where to be on the football field. I'm not sure about complete sentences, but he's football smart.

Practice Squad

Postby baumblvd » Thu May 22, 2008 11:58 am

Just saw an old draft pre-view issue of the Sporting News (barber shop). They're take on the PS was pretty lousy. I wonder if any of the so-called draft experts got anything right. I also wonder why I fucking care, but that's another story altogether.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Fri May 23, 2008 1:47 pm

come on baumblvd....a little more chipperness out of you...we had a KICK ASS draft and are goin to the superbowl this year!

write it down, wrap it up, and slap it silly babay cuz this years gonna rock!!!!

Return to Stillers Talk