Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » "Sir" Lawrence Timmons

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

"Sir" Lawrence Timmons

Postby BigE » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:36 am

What's up Steelers fans. I'm new here on the board, but just have to say I love the website. Anyway, thought I would just vent a little bit this morning about something that has really gotten under my skin. I, for one, and sick and tired of hearing Tomlin and the coaching staff rambling about how Timmons needs to get more comfortable with the defense before he becomes an every down player. Against Houston, he was an absolute beast. His speed and athleticism are unbelievable and he is definately a huge playmaker. But, against the Clowns, Timmons never got on the field for any defensive snaps? But Tomlin refuses to pull the blinders he has on when it comes to Larry " I whiff on almost every play" Foote and James " I over run every single play " Farrior. I counted at least 5 times during the Cleveland game where both of these so called "solid" linebackers either over ran plays or whiffed and failed miserably on a tackle attempt. All five of these plays should have resulted in either no gain or a loss of yards. I know we can't replace both linebackers this year, but for the love of God, can this coaching staff put their stupid ass loyalty to the side and put this young kid in, he immediately makes our defense that much better. As of now, the defense is playing pretty good, and the only ones not contributing are these 2 worthless, overrated whiffers.

Seasoned Veteran

Re: "Sir" Lawrence Timmons

Postby steelwest » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:16 pm

I think the coaching staff decided to avoid playing the younger players, specifically Timmons and Mendenhall, during the slugfest with the Browns in awful conditions. Until proven otherwise, I expect the coaching staff to vary from that position in future weeks based on better weather conditions, different opponents, etc. At least we need to hope so if the team in going anywhere in the playoffs. :cheers:

As an aside though, it never ceases to amaze me how rookies play constantly for other teams and rarely for us. Eddie Royal has looked like a Pro Bowler for Denver, the Patriots have consistently started rookie offensive linemen, Chris Thomas looks great for the Titans, Matt Forte looks exceptional for the Bears, etc.

Even with a new coach in Tomlin, however, we tend to get very limited production from rookies. It must have something to do with the system, but it is very frustrating. Any chance the Steelers have in winning more than one playoff game will require substantial performance from the rookies. :suxfingers:

Stillers.com Team

Postby StillMill » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:34 pm

Good thread started by The Big E.

Yunz should know my feelings on Timmons. Rotting this man behind a career journeyman like Larry Foote is outright criminal. :sushootem:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Nashsteeler » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:06 pm

Agreed. Larry Foote should be the guy that spells Timmons, and the top ILB backup. No way he shouldn't be getting the majority of the defensive snaps. Hope that changes in better weather. We'll need his speed against Westbrook and the Iggles.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby lloydrules » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:19 pm

You guys aren't getting it. How come coaching staffs change but certain policies don't? Ownership. The "scared policies" are that of the Rooneys. It's obvious. These are not hands off owners. They just like trying to make it look like they are so they don't have to account for any of the blame if things don't go right.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:52 pm

Part of it is the fact that rookies don't so much join the Steelers. They pledge Black and Gold. It's a fraternity - for better or worse - and very few members of the pledge class become full fledged brothers.

Another issue is that LeBeau's defenses are among the most risky and complicated in the game. The Polamalus and Woodleys and Timmons spent their rookie years on the bench. And its vitally important that they don't find themselves out of position when they do get a chance to play. Two words: ANTHONY SMITH.

Timmons will certainly get his chances. But I'm not terribly worried that he didn't start against the Stains. After all, with a little help from the weather and a single bad decision by the opposing quarterback, THE D PITCHED A SHUTOUT!

Tomlin and LeBeau played it cautious in a rainstorm. They were right. It worked. They won. :sudancin: :sudancin: :sudancin:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Iron Gut » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:45 pm

Welcome to the board. But I have to disagree slightly. Farrior is still the best ILB on this team. Yes, the screen pass he overpursued. However, Potsie is usually in the right place and he makes plays. Starting Timmons over Potsie is pure lunacy.

Return to Stillers Talk